Do vanity plates invite vandalism?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've really been thinking of getting a vanity plate for my car, but I'm afraid that it might invite vandalism. What do you think?

I'm thinking of using "IDLOOK2"

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wanted that plate...maybe I should kick it down a notch with the Viper

I'll try to think of something incorporating the Paxton instead I guess...I'd rather have people trying to race me than keying the car!

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most of us are very aware of our Vipers surroundings when we have it out,(much the same as women have to be aware of their surroundings), so as to limit potential damage or harm. If there is much "risk" envolved, I for one would not be interested in being there. That being said, there is always a possibility of something unfortunate happening at anytime, especially on the road. It never ceases to amaze me at the crap people put on their vehicles from bumper stickers to the figures of the little boy "watering" the ford, or chevy, or whatever make, which all but invite "retaliation" by someone who may not be playing with a full deck, or has one too many jokers. And, there are always going to be jealous or envious characters out there. Unless your vanity plate is really extreme, and most states monitor them fairly closely, that should be the last thing to worry about. Just a bit of common sense is all that's needed.;)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have TOPTHIS which I've had since I bought the car. It was the suggestion of a friend and back then I thought it was ultra cool. Now, I do feel its a bit too A-holeish. I would've changed it by now, but the state of GA rapes us on tag prices so damn much, I refuse to pay the extra $80 for a new plate. I've never had anyone actually tell me "your tag makes you look like a ****" but I have had some people laugh and say stuff like "I don't think you can top a Viper".

I complained about the cost of my tag this year to the tag office and they agreed to drop it by $100, so I'll prob get a new tag next year. I'll go for something w/much less ego next time just b/c I'm tired of the TOPTHIS tag.

For the record, the only real vandalism I've suffered is someone keyed the LH door one time, but I have no clue if it was related to the tag or not. IMO, I doubt it was, I just think it was just a drunk low-level GA redneck who wanted to key the car b/c he/she was jealous.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the plate. Mine are harmless, "Viper 1"; "Viper 2" and "2Viper". Things like ___eatr (insert name "Vet" etc) while semi amusing ask for trouble. Knock on wood --in 15 years of driving 6 Vipers (and other sports cars) to Lowes, drug store , grocery store etc --no problems.

A Barnes & Noble customer wrote a juevinile note once and left on windshield . I am sure he or she was upset for me polluting their environment.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say yes that an arrogant plate could be the cracking point for vandalize versus not vandalize. I often see nice cars and then notice the plate that obviously denotes a **** and his/her attitude that we are all mortals and he/she is a God or Goddess. If I was a vandal that would be the deal maker.

My plate is WAY BAD. Not too cocky, just kind of middle of the road. If you park your car unattended in public parking areas then I would keep the tone of the plate down to simmer. My car is rarely unattended in public for more than a few minutes.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's that my plate is interesting or if cameras in cell phones have gotten better, but I regularly see people take pics of my plate:
O26OIN5

I don't think it invites vandalism....unless you put "GRENH8R" on an H2.
----------------------------------
Dave- It's okay. You're among friends here. You can tell everyone that "BAD" was your favorite Michael Jackson album.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have TOPTHIS which I've had since I bought the car. It was the suggestion of a friend and back then I thought it was ultra cool. Now, I do feel its a bit too A-holeish. I would've changed it by now, but the state of GA rapes us on tag prices so damn much, I refuse to pay the extra $80 for a new plate. I've never had anyone actually tell me "your tag makes you look like a ****" but I have had some people laugh and say stuff like "I don't think you can top a Viper".

I complained about the cost of my tag this year to the tag office and they agreed to drop it by $100, so I'll prob get a new tag next year. I'll go for something w/much less ego next time just b/c I'm tired of the TOPTHIS tag.

For the record, the only real vandalism I've suffered is someone keyed the LH door one time, but I have no clue if it was related to the tag or not. IMO, I doubt it was, I just think it was just a drunk low-level GA redneck who wanted to key the car b/c he/she was jealous.

Chad you need a tag that says "*******". That fits in so many ways. :)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think "I'd Look Too" is a bad choice.

Sends the wrong message including but not limited to:
Self-conceited
Vain
arrogant
pompous
snobbish

Not saying you are any of these things, but to answer your question Yes, i think it may inccrease your chances of vandelism.

Pick something that is more Personalised to YOU.
I had a nickname throughout highschool "DIRTY D" that i got from my wrestling years. I always said to kids back then that when i got my viper that it would be on my vanity tag. Nicknames Stick. Now 12years later people know who is riding in my viper without even seeing me.:drive:

"...hey wasnt there this kid in highschool that we called DirtyD?... didnt he always talk about wanting a Viper?... NOOOO WAAAYYYY!!!!:D:D:D

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan I too would go with something a little less arrogant sounding I think it's just bad for the car/platform.

I went with TX VIPR for my new Texas plate and I am happy with it.

I love the idea of BLWNVPR or something like that. I thinkthat would be great!

Andy:2tu:

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HLNASP sounds good to me. :D

I don't remember the code off-hand, but a friend of mine from some years ago used the police code for "stolen car" as his tag. Got some interesting comments whenever he was pulled over, but being an officer himself he never got slapped with any tickets.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of a personalized plate myself.

I thought about:

1K RWHP

I figure that should get some looks and maybe a race or two. :)

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to sneak “FA-Q2” past the DMV here in New Mexico… It was shot down in flames, but “PET-SNK” was issued. Ah, I took a shot !!! Nuff Said…. I know, Im a child...

EastTnMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ON my '97, I have the same tag I used to run on my Vette...:omg: BUt I do get quite a few comments on it, but nothing negative, only smiles and laughs. Even MOST cops smile when they see it. It is simple, it says: CLOCKME
Mike:drive:

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan I too would go with something a little less arrogant sounding I think it's just bad for the car/platform.

I went with TX VIPR for my new Texas plate and I am happy with it.

I love the idea of BLWNVPR or something like that. I thinkthat would be great!

Andy:2tu:

Yeah I've narrowed it down to SPRCHGD or ITSBLWN. I'm not trying to come off as a ******, but I think those are appropriate without being cocky

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it depends on what it says...if it says I LV ME then you are probably going to get keyed...LOL

VIPRRR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2008 SSG Viper's plate is VIP RRR, and I get a lot of positive comments, everyone seems to like it.
But my other car is a SRT8 300C with the plate SRT 8 U, and after I passed other people, I have had things like minivans come within 2 feet of my trunk then swing around me and then finger me, and usually its a lady. I guess they are mixing up that 8 (ATE) thing.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is ENILE8 on the Viper and yes, some people hate per. plates. And thats why its driven and then locked in the garage. Never left alone.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
intresting this would come up. since I totaled my viper i
put my viper tag on my 20 yr old sons car, 2004 gli jetta.
he ask if i could get the tag off his car because in the one
month he has had it his car has been keyed twice.

the tag - WANTED

JUST A FYI

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte