Dodge better bring the rain!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. The mustang will not compare at the track, just the drag strip.

Bruce

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean SRT not Dodge... I know, that's gonna be a tough habit to break for me too. :)
I think Vipers are always so well balanced putting the power to the road that they can have 100 less hp and still out perform other cars. They're engineered well!
No worries for me. :D

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ferrari doesnt evan have 600 hp on some models do they?

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can call it the GTwhatevertheywant.. Its a RUSTANG.... Totally different market. Leave the mustangs for the 17 year old punks with the bad acne. Id take a 20 year old, 400 horse Gen1 over any "mustang"

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. The mustang will not compare at the track, just the drag strip.

Bruce

You mean SRT not Dodge... I know, that's gonna be a tough habit to break for me too. :)
I think Vipers are always so well balanced putting the power to the road that they can have 100 less hp and still out perform other cars. They're engineered well!
No worries for me. :D

Agreed. Viper is almost in a class of its own and in the end I'm sure there will NOTHING out there that is naturally aspirated that can touch it for the price.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Ram...Err, Ram Ram. Wait. Ram 3500! Doh! LOL

Interesting. Wonder where the power levels on the rise, where do they stop? Last time levels got this high 1972 hit and that was it for 30 years.

Hard to argue 54K for that power. Still a great deal.

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a marketing standpoint it's not going to look good that you can buy a mustang for half the price with the same power if they only have a bump to 650 hp also. The ZR1 is going to have the same problem, the gen 5 Viper and the C7 ZR1 need to be at least 750hp IMO. And even then there may be another problem, SVT engineers have already been quoted as saying "we are ready to turn the power up to 750 if our horsepower supremacy is challenged"

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some would say that the pricepoint defines the competitive landscape, at least from the manufacturer's perspective.

If you can afford the new Viper, or ZR1, do you instead decide to save significant money and buy the GT500 (or Camaro ZL1)? For the majority, of course not. The question for most would turn into "why not buy both?"

IMO, these new (really impressive!) blown pony cars are more of a competitor vs. used Vipers... if you gotta really stretch the budget, scrape & save, and issue blood/sweat/tears to get together $60k... maybe that monster HP new car makes you think twice about buying a used, previous Gen Viper.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, apples and oranges. If you were thinking of getting the new Viper and now read that the mustang was 65hp and $55k, did you even blink and think you should get the mustang instead? Doesn't matter if it had 1000hp, just not interested (if a viper is what I wanted). Now if I was in the Camaro/Mustang market, it matters a great deal.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While HP is the first component most folks consider I believe for the Gen V weight really needs to come into the equasion, with the Vette several hundred lbs less now one of the criteria I really believe SRT needs to be concerned with is the weight of the new car. It seems given the safety concerns every new generation gains a few pounds. There is such a trade off with the new carbon fiber components and dollars it will be interesting to see the tact the team chooses to follow. While more naturally aspirated HP is great the effect is the same if you can get enough weight off the chassis.

Richard

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Stang is real heavy and torque is a lot more important than HP. The new SRT will prevail and not in the same class or pricing either.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
And even then there may be another problem, SVT engineers have already been quoted as saying "we are ready to turn the power up to 750 if our horsepower supremacy is challenged"

HOLY SHIITE!!!!!!

We are living in "La Belle Epoch", or the best time in the automotive era, ever....pinch yourself, you're living in it right now!

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
considering the mustang needs a supercharger to hit those powers while the viper does it N/A, does that even count?

if the SRT team were to put a supercharger in the viper, we'd probably see near 1000hp...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are good times indeed. The muscle cars (mustang) and exotic sports cars (Viper) are at an apex, never before seen from American auto manufacturers.

While they are not cheap, the prices are attainable by many Americans with specialized work talents.

The market place will speak as to their relative prices, with I suspect Mustang getting a premium over sticker, and Viper being discounted a bit.

These muscle and sports cars deliver entirely different driving experiences. The Mustang is a nose heavy beast, while the Viper is well balanced. They are tuned for different racetracks. Mustang at the drags, and VIper on the road courses.

Both will draw a following, but there will be little overlap.

Think either on will be capable of putting a huge smile on their respective owners faces.

All the manufacturers have invested heavily in producing botique cars from their high performance divisions.

This is being done, even with intense pressure from the Eco minions that seek deliverance with micro mini cars you plug in at night.

These indeed are "the good old days". Pick your favorite, lay down your cash, and have the time of your life before this too is called to a halt.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if anyone is able to purchase that Mustang for anywhere within $10,000 of the $54,999 price. All the $110K Corvette ZR1's owners I talked to in this area paid close to $140. The dealers know what they will be having sit on their lot and they know they can mark them up with a "dealer premium".

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP and torque stats are meaningless. What counts are performance stats. Road course, drag strip, and standing mile. Look at what the Nissan 2012 GTR can do at the drag strip with less than 550 HP for under 100K. The Mustang will be a fun car but no competition for the ZR1 Vette, the new Viper or many other cars. It will be a burn out king for those who like burn outs.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would expect a great deal of anti Mustang bias here. These Mustangs are no slouches at the track. Do not discount them. The ZR 1 is supercharged also.

It is amazing what the Ford engineers have done. They have a solid axle 4 seater that is going competitive with 2 seaters costing twice as much. I find the statement here that the Mustangs will be sold for more than sticker while Vipers will be sold at a discount to be a negative comment about our cars!

And oh!: 5.4 litres with 4 cams and 32 valves with that HP. Very sweet and a GREAT sound at full throttle!

Last edited:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, of course the Mustang is different from a Viper, but I would say this (sportscar for $55k with 650 OEM hp) is still very relevant. If the Mustang loses some weight and adds a fully-independent rear suspension (both planned for the next gen), then the game will change even more.

Both a Viper and that type of Mustang are usually toys. The Mustang can also carry a couple of passengers in the small rear seats if necessary. The aftermarket for Mustangs is huge and affordable. As a forced-induction car, it will probably be relatively easy to crank up the boost safely for another 75-150hp and torque. If cooling issues are handled correctly on the car, it could also be a good HPDE performer. While I am not selling my Gen IV at this time, there is definitely something alluring about such a powerful package for 50% less than the Viper.

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We were proud owners of a 2008 SSG coupe, sold it and bought a 2011 GT500.

It is apples and oranges. I have added about 200 flywheel hp for $4800, fun and easy to mod (~750hp). (will smoke tires on a whim if that's what you want) This tank will corner good for what it is, but it's no Viper. Great car for long road trips, it's a keeper but miss the Viper. We plan on a GenV in the future.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they keep the weight close to 3000 lbs then 650-700hp will be more than enough to handle the competition. Im more worried about the weight than the power, with that monster V10.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out with one of the other guys here with a GTS last weekend doing a little cruise and a Red w White Stripes 2010 GT500 came up on us from behind and let me tell you we really schooled that Idiot:lmao: J/k... Actually we let him go by and then we came up on him and went by. We were just playing a bit. We all got off at the same exit and exchanged compliments... It was all good fun and I thought to myself how it's starting to feel like the good old days again.:headbang:

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP and torque stats are meaningless. What counts are performance stats. Road course, drag strip, and standing mile. Look at what the Nissan 2012 GTR can do at the drag strip with less than 550 HP for under 100K. The Mustang will be a fun car but no competition for the ZR1 Vette, the new Viper or many other cars. It will be a burn out king for those who like burn outs.

I'm no mustang fan (last mustang I owned was a 1995 Cobra that I bought new in 1994, with 240hp lol) , but man the New 650hp GT500 has already done 202mph for gods sake. Hard to argue with a car for 55K that does over 200mph and it's stock!

My 1995 cobra had a hard time doing 140mph!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what you want in a car. How long a time did it take to reach 202 MPH and under what conditions? How fast will it be in the quarter? How well will it do on a road course?

No question that it is quite a bit of car for the money and kudos to Ford for producing it but it, at least in stock form, will not be competitive on a road course with a Gen IV ACR or a Gen V Viper. If someone puts some Nitto or Mickey Thompson drag radials on it and knows how to launch it, it should be impressive at the drag strip. (I had a modded 5.0 Mustang back in 1983. It was fun in a straight line. )

I'm no mustang fan (last mustang I owned was a 1995 Cobra that I bought new in 1994, with 240hp lol) , but man the New 650hp GT500 has already done 202mph for gods sake. Hard to argue with a car for 55K that does over 200mph and it's stock!

My 1995 cobra had a hard time doing 140mph!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62