Dodge Viper Most Expensive Car To Maintain??

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprise.
Another Yahoo/AOL list packed to the brim with FAIL.

When did Ferrari stop making vehicles?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the Ferrari with that timing belt change requirement, which in some models required pulling the engine would rate among the worst....like $7,000 just for that....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all they did was look at the price for a gen 1-2 clamshell hood and called it a day.... statistically, they might be right, but real world... not even close.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they talking about maintenance costs, or repair costs? Big difference, especially if the repair involves body work.

The biggest repair I had on my GTS was when a couple of pushrods gave up. It made a pretty horrible clacking sound, and I thought that was going to be an expensive one. But, thanks to JonB it ended up costing me only about $20 for a couple of pushrods (still have the other 18 as spares) and about a half hour of my own labor. Otherwise, it's been almost completely bulletproof. Can't say that for many other 13 year old cars I've owned...

As far as maintenance goes, other than being a pain to get a jack under the car, it's a piece of cake.

As long as you don't crash these cars, they're pretty darned easy to own.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they talking about maintenance costs, or repair costs? Big difference, especially if the repair involves body work.

The biggest repair I had on my GTS was when a couple of pushrods gave up. It made a pretty horrible clacking sound, and I thought that was going to be an expensive one. But, thanks to JonB it ended up costing me only about $20 for a couple of pushrods (still have the other 18 as spares) and about a half hour of my own labor. Otherwise, it's been almost completely bulletproof. Can't say that for many other 13 year old cars I've owned...

As far as maintenance goes, other than being a pain to get a jack under the car, it's a piece of cake.

As long as you don't crash these cars, they're pretty darned easy to own.
EXACTLY maint costs are very reasonable BUT repair costs different matter internal engine parts (gaskets bearings ect )are quite high esp with parts indicative of only Viper .

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, it's just a hunch, but somehow I doubt that someone who would be really concerned about what Yahoo Finance thinks the projected 5-year maintenance/repair cost on a Viper is, would be a serious candidate for buying a Viper in the first place. Seems to me that's about as much of a factor as whether Greenpeace thinks a Viper is "environmentally friendly"!:rolaugh:

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ehh. WRONG!

AMG Hummer & Hummer H1 take the cake. Parts that you would never expect to replace on a normal car are wear & tear items on a Hummer. All 1997.5-2001 turbo trucks needed a new motor (bad design).

My mom's '01 XKR has zero mechanical problems (floor mats ****, windows' memory is botched, and headliner sags) and she's owned it since new, it's her DD.

Nick

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, it's just a hunch, but somehow I doubt that someone who would be really concerned about what Yahoo Finance thinks the projected 5-year maintenance/repair cost on a Viper is, would be a serious candidate for buying a Viper in the first place. Seems to me that's about as much of a factor as whether Greenpeace thinks a Viper is "environmentally friendly"!:rolaugh:

True, but it was done by "Consumer Reports".
People hold that rag to a high standard as they don't accept any advertising $$$.
Did anyone else notice that of the 10 most expensive, the Viper had the least $ amt of repair costs.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of maintanence on a 2008 could cost over 8000 in 5 years?? Are yearly head gasket changes part of routine maintanence?? Things must have changed since 1997...

Isn't 8000 about the cost of brake pads and an oil change in an Enzo?

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hmmmm... my 2001... probably because the company I brought mine to doesn't know **** about em... but:

13000km...

2 alignments ($300 each time... )
new tires ($1800)
4 oil changes ($150 each time)
other fluid changes ($600 total)
full brakes ($900)
battery ($100)

Thats $4600... and I've only owned since last August. Keep in mind, now that I have my own garage I'm able to do this work myself... so it's not gonna be anywhere near that going forward... but I guess if you get it done at the dealer, expect to pay the Viper tax?

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

I'd like to see the entire listing of cars they tested on for comparison.
Also the warranty factor of how long and what exactly is covered would play a big roll in the numbers.

slartibartfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 oil changes ($150 each time)
Holy Smokes! You need a different shop!

I didn't think the Nissan Versa had been on sale for five years.

All I know is, fog lamp lenses are eighty bucks each. That's pretty damned steep. Head light assemblies are 800 hundred each. Simple amazing. And replacing them is inevitable because of that crappy plastic. I would certainly expect Italian exotica to be more expensive over a longer period but the Viper is definitely up there.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Perhaps they are confusing damage / accident repairs (Viper is higher than Ferrari) with routine maint. repairs? Viper has been the highest since 1997 in insurance-damage-claims / repairs

slartibartfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No confusion here. Headlight assembly replacement is going to be a maintenance item for me. My headlights have been polished once already, no sure how many times that can be done before wearing through.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dunderheads -------------------the maintenance listed by Conumdrum Retorts is actually the figure showing all the mods Viper owners do to their cars in a 5 year period. Change the oil , drive the car, change the oil, drive the car. Now 8K in mods over 5 years, that sounds quite reasonable to me!!!:drive:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21