Don't start in reverse gear?

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don\'t start in reverse gear?

I seem to recall reading in the user manual that you should never start the car in reverse gear. (2001 RT/10)

If you have the clutch in when starting, it shouldn't matter what gear you are in, right? Unless there is a way of starting the car in reverse gear without the clutch engaged. But why would someone do that? The car would **** backwards I would think.

I'm just thinking if I am parked on a hill and leave it in reverse gear - and then forget to put it in 1st gear when starting the car, if I am doing any damage to the tranny.

I've started with the stick-shift in reverse (clutch engaged) a few times with no ill-effects.

comments?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t start in reverse gear?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperct2001:
I seem to recall reading in the user manual that you should never start the car in reverse gear. (2001 RT/10)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a new one on me!
grazy.gif

Where did you read this?
It will only start with your foot on the clutch and all the way to the floor! It dosn't matter what gear your in!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Note that you can't put the trans into reverse without the ignition on. Of course, you could have left it in reverse when you shut it off.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Dont push-start, bump start in reverse..........

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:
Note that you can't put the trans into reverse without the ignition on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron,
It will go. Your just pushing on a 12 pound spring.[no damage]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather