Downforce for Gen IV Coupes

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas for adding front and rear downforce to Gen IV Coupes short of the ACR Goodies?

The ACRs are awesome, but I really do not want the giant tail for the 95% street driving my car sees (I only attend an ocassional HPDE on street tires).

Ferrari and others seem to achieve great downforce without the giant fixed wings.

I do understand that this may be a losing battle (changes short of the ACR pieces will be ineffective), and that once downforce is added, heaver springs and shocks may be required, etc.

Thanks!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coupe makes decent downforce without any additional aero parts. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 lbs at 150 mph.

For Street use why exactly are you looking for additional downforce anyway?

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The coupe makes decent downforce without any additional aero parts. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 lbs at 150 mph.

For Street use why exactly are you looking for additional downforce anyway?

i thought it was 100lbs at 150mph :dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The aero-package wings/splitters might be a viable alternative for you - or if you have the coin, you could pick up a dirt cheap Aero coupe since there seem to be a few of them out there for great prices right now.

If it were me, I'd probably be focusing on increasing traction rather than downforce. Getting a set of slicks would probably be a better way to increase the coefficient of friction between the car and the ground. That's just me, though...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3947------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas for adding front and rear downforce to Gen IV Coupes short of the ACR Goodies?

The ACRs are awesome, but I really do not want the giant tail for the 95% street driving my car sees (I only attend an ocassional HPDE on street tires).

Ferrari and others seem to achieve great downforce without the giant fixed wings.

I do understand that this may be a losing battle (changes short of the ACR pieces will be ineffective), and that once downforce is added, heaver springs and shocks may be required, etc.

Thanks!

Porsche did a study years ago on the then new C2 that led to the auto spoiler and
found that just cracking open the rear engine lid added quite a bit to the aero of the
car. I would think that a small wing/spoiler on the rear and splitter up front would
make a difference on the street. Not sure you need 1500 lbs as in the ACR, ok for
the track but a little rice on the street IMO, nice if you need 2G braking though.

Herc

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Care to post some data on these vehicles to compare to the ACR's 1000lbs of downforce at 150mph?

Those others come with the price tag that reflects the extensive windtunnel testing and aerodynamic engineering time spent on the overall design. Alot of R&D can be spend on the bottom of the vehicle and the rear diffuser which is where i assume ferrari spends more time than dodge.

Its not a "giant fixed wing". Its a wing that is sized properly to the viper. Combined with the splitter makes for a functional package that most think look awesome.

Have you seen some of the wings that gen2 guys throw on em?
you can call these Giant all you want.:)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche did a study years ago on the then new C2 that led to the auto spoiler and
found that just cracking open the rear engine lid added quite a bit to the aero of the
car. I would think that a small wing/spoiler on the rear and splitter up front would
make a difference on the street. Not sure you need 1500 lbs as in the ACR, ok for
the track but a little rice on the street IMO, nice if you need 2G braking though.

Herc

We are of the same mind. All cars without some actual downforce will get light at speed. I was just checking to see if someone has already R & D's this more minimal approach.

Thanks!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe the new placement of the 08-09' hood vents has significantly reduced lift in this area as less air packs underneath the engine area.

Underbelly already has significant aero treatment with sealed under tray, and rear strakes.

Think comp coupe noses also promote aero.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960