DRAG RACING FOR VOI 7 REGISTRANTS

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You asked for it, ……and you got it. Although a drag racing venue was not able to be included as an integrated part of the Nashville VOI.7 activities, your Viper Club of America has been able to organize an event on the day BEFORE those official festivities commence.

The 2nd Annual Viper World Drag Racing Championships will be held on Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky. This facility is located only approximately 60 miles north of Nashville. Not only are we now going to have the drag racing for VOI registrants, but the cost is going to be…….. FREE to VCA members! Major thanks go out to DODGE as our primary sponsor, and numerous tuners and vendors participating as co-sponsors, for their support. Non-VCA members who are registered for VOI will also be eligible to sign up, but they will have to pay a $100 entry fee. Just to make sure those non-members don’t ever have to worry about that problem again, we are including VCA membership as part of their package, such that everyone who participates that day will be a part of the VCA family. Because it’s free, which presents the possibility of people just signing up and then not bothering to show, all entrants will be asked to pay a $50 “reservation fee”, which will be refunded to all participants shortly AFTER VOI is completed.

We’ve established five different classes for competition, and basic instruction will be available for any owner without drag racing experience. Obviously, much of the spectator excitement will focus on the “heavyweight” classes, where we will finally get the chance to see match-ups of “tuner cars” from all over the country, running various combinations of big-inch motors, nitrous, turbos, and superchargers… all under the same track conditions and with no “home court advantages”. Who will stand on stage at a VOI banquet to take home the hardware and bragging rights? However, no matter how fast you run on the track that day, all drivers will be going home with a gift or award as a remembrance. Factory DODGE and PVO people will be joining us, sponsoring vendors and tuners will be allowed to exhibit their wares, and much more will be announced in the future. It should be quite a memorable day for both drivers and spectators!

There’s only one negative bit of news involved, and that’s the fact we have to limit the number of entries. That means you need to sign up NOW. A link www.viperclub.org/vca/vcadrags2002.doc has been established on the VCA website for you to be able to download information and an entry form. Fax your reservation to VCA Headquarters ASAP, according to the instructions, or you may find yourself on a backup list. See you in Nashville, AND Bowling Green!

I would like to personally thank Kingman Hitz and Prashant Patel for their efforts in making this event a reality for all VCA members.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Try the link now, and if it asks for a password, just hit the cancel button and it'll appear!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer to the MAX!! What is the fine print "Must be registered for VOI" So it's not free, it's $700. I've got other commitments for the weekend. Why can't we just charge $100 if not registered for VOI.

Tech? Will Bowling Green allow runs under 11.99 without a roll bar? Who is the final decision on tech? What is a street radial? BFG Drag Radial, Nitto, Yoko etc.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Pauls, the Term free is correct because it is an added bonus to People attending VOI. Trust us this will be the show down of all time. as far at Street Radial yes you are correct it may include Nitto's, or BFG Drag Radial for the stock class but no ET Streets. and Remember they only make those tires in a 315 17 inch.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
....So it's not free, it's $700. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RIGHT! Drag race WED for $700, and get VOI FREE !!!

WOW! VOI IS FREE FOR DRAGRACERS! I see a T-shirt in this..

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prashant:
Hey Pauls, the Term free is correct because it is an added bonus to People attending VOI. Trust us this will be the show down of all time. as far at Street Radial yes you are correct it may include Nitto's, or BFG Drag Radial for the stock class but no ET Streets. and Remember they only make those tires in a 315 17 inch.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Prashant does this mean Vipers that originally came with 18 inch rims can not run with a different size rim so that BFG Drag Radials can be used?

Will there be Gen I and a Gen II stock classes?

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected due to the Gen I and GenII different wheels size. I looked back at the old rules and it did state Michelin Pilots in stock class. if you have another brand such as Dunlop or Pirelli those should be fine also. feel free to email me with you tire questions.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks

Did you just change the entry form Prashant? The tires which are allowed in the stock class are now gone ???

Also are there different classes for Gen I and Gen II?

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I did not change the entry, its the same one as this morning. Good question about the Gen I and Gen II for stock. Right now its only One but we may look into that.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious because the first annual Z06 Fest is in Bowling Green at the same time. I thought it would be a blast to meet up with them at the track. I guess that isn't going to happen.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, sorry you have other plans for the weekend and will miss VOI. That IS a bummer to the MAX. But, let me explain the thinking that went into planning the drag event:

During the VCA Presidents meeting held last March in Nashville, many of us were a little disappointed that Dodge just could not make drag racing logistics work out for VOI this time around. We understood their explanation, but being hard headed Viper guys, we hated taking "no" for an answer. SO, a group of Region Presidents and Directors decided to get together and figure out SOME way to make drag racing happen........ for "VOI registrants". Thanks to primary sponsorship and enthusiastic support from Jim Julow at Dodge, we WERE able to make this happen.

Do we hope to attract a few more entries for Dodge to VOI by adding the drag racing? Absolutely. Do we hope that bringing a lot MORE owners to Nashville early will increase the attendance for the Thursday Noon Viper parade through through the downtown streets? Absolutely. And, last but certainly not least, do we hope we can add just one more day of incredible FUN memories for 125 Viper owners? Absolutely!!!!!!! However, the real bottom line here is...... would it be FAIR to the owners who ARE going to VOI, to have their already limited entry spots reduced in number by owners who are NOT attending VOI? I don't think so.

Now, speaking personally, even if I was not interested in racing my own car, the prospects for seeing all the various Viper Tuners going head to head, at a neutral site, with all the different performance packages on display, is something that I would NOT want to miss even as a spectator. The racing is free, and the spectating is free. Or, on the other hand, like others have pointed out, drag racing costs $700 and the rest of VOI gets thrown in for FREE!!!!!!

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, please note the little question on the entry form about whether or not you are shipping via Reliable. Your car "should" be there in time anyway, but Viper Headquarters will try to take a second look at the situation for those who need their car for drag racing.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wing King
Do we hope to attract a few more entries for Dodge to VOI by adding the drag racing? Absolutely. Do we hope that bringing a lot MORE owners to Nashville early will increase the attendance for the Thursday Noon Viper parade through through the downtown streets? Absolutely. And, last but certainly not least, do we hope we can add just one more day of incredible FUN memories for 125 Viper owners?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If by the time comes and we have not filled all the slots for the Drag racing event(I have already registered), can the extra open slots be given/sold to others that want to attend?

Mike

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im real excited about the Drag Racing event. I just faxed in my registration sheet. I wasn't for sure what classs to check so i checked three different ones. I have never drag raced before, but i plan to practice frequently until the time comes. I can't wait to see the supertuned cars go at it! alot of fun!!!

Reaction score
I know all of you Viper Owners will love this track. If you've done your research you'll know that this is one NHRA's top 1/4 mile tracks. By the folks this track should held some great times!! Good luck to all and see you there!!

By the way if anyone would like pictures of this track or the surrounding areas please let me know. I know most of you will all love this historic city.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Estes:

Non-VCA members who are registered for VOI will also be eligible to sign up, but they will have to pay a $100 entry fee.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony will I have to pay this $100 fee even though I'm neither a owner or member?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering why the modified II class has a floor of 10.50?
Also is the 11.99 roll bar rule going to be enforced, if so it will really cut into the car count.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1 Let us worry about the 11.99 rule....you will see many 9 sec Vipers running.
wink.gif

the 10.50 floor was put in at a marker between MoDII and Unlimited because many Vipers have Nos with Stock Motors or have a Stroker Motor and want to run on "Motor" so ModII is for them.
Thanks

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That kind of ***** that they won't let anything besides Vipers onto the track. It's not like they would be letting the whole world run - just owners who did not have their Vipers with them, but had other vehicles they wanted to use on the track. What's that - maybe 5 people total?

Do I have to pay for the drag event even if I just want to watch? Can't they make some exception for VOI attendees who won't have their Viper - I mean, at the AutoX and road course, at least they provide Vipers. Will they provide a Viper for those without their cars to drag race? I doubt it.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys I see your strategy to help attendance. And that is great. In my case I'm not going to register for VOI just to race. My NMCA points event is in Columbus the same weekend. I thought this was originally going to be a non sanctioned event like Viper Days. I question wether 125 existing or new cars will come a day early for the opportunity. This restriction will wean out some good cars.
I would hope that if 125 don't register, the opportunity to fill the show would go to non registered Viper owners like me.

As I recall in St Louis you didn't have to register for VOI to compete in Viper Days??!! Why do you for this event?

For any others in the same boat remember Viper Nationals is the weekend prior. Sept 14-15 at Norwalk. $$$ Purse.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Answers:

1) its free to watch
2)Yes the ACR is included with the stock class because K&N and smooth tubes are allowed on all Vipers in stock class
3)Thanks for the support Pauls and I hope your event goes well. I don't think I really have to explain that we are doing this as an added bonus for VOI attendees so they may be able to AutoCross, Road Course and Drag Race all in the same week! Dodge has been very kind to sponsor this event so I think keeping it a Viper only event seems natural (Viper World Drag Racing Championships)
Reliable can get the cars to Nashville in time and I think it will be a great kick off for this years VOI
4)we expect to draw all the big name tuner's at this event battling it out in a neutral forum which most have been waiting for.
5)ITs FREE and you still walk away with gifts and T-shirts again FOR FREE!
I don't think we should anticipate any trouble filling up the 125 cars for this event.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prashant,

Can you run in more than 1 Class?? If I go, could I run on motor in Modified II and then turn up the N2O and run in the unlimited??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4