Dyno proof of HP gain from Ported Intake?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I see some mix comments on this topic.
Basically I was wondering if anyone has a dyno sheet proof if ported Intake on a stock engine gives you any HP gain? Some people say yeah and some people say nope, not on the stock engine, in fact it even may cut 5HP on your stock engine.

Anyone got a dyno proof for one or the other?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only proof is my improved drag times a tenth and 3/4 mph faster. I understand all the variables on the track but, there alos on a dyno. I do plan on going down to see Dan Cragin for a dyno tune next month. So I will share the results when its done.

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm actually getting the intake ported thru DC performance and
should have a dyno result very shortly.
My car has headers and mopar pcm which complements the ported
intake so no apple to apple comparison here. However, according
to the DC, well ported intake should add about 10-15HP to the stock motor.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually getting the intake ported thru DC performance and
should have a dyno result very shortly.
My car has headers and mopar pcm which complements the ported
intake so no apple to apple comparison here. However, according
to the DC, well ported intake should add about 10-15HP to the stock motor.

I got the same setting, headers and tunable PCM via SCT. However, I was told that headers or PCM will not do any good unless you go with the full package of heads and ***. I got this info from a very reputable NA build engineer.
Gripforce can you AIM me what is the cost for ported Intake from DC?

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 is stock except for Corsa cat-back and Dealer PCM update programming. I have the arrow ported intake manifold and the car definitely appears to pull a bit stronger now in the upper rpms (I had 8k mi. on it before the intake and have 9.1k mi. now).

Arrow usually has pretty good stuff. :usa:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have a sheet with and without the ported intake but don't know how to post it. It was on the same day, back to back runs but on two different cars, one with, one without. Gain was mostly above 4000 rpm and about 20 rwhp. Rwtq stayed the same.

Both cars had Belanger headers and exhaust.

This was an Arrow Racing ported lower intake piece.

Dan

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a sheet with and without the ported intake but don't know how to post it. It was on the same day, back to back runs but on two different cars, one with, one without. Gain was mostly above 4000 rpm and about 20 rwhp. Rwtq stayed the same.

Both cars had Belanger headers and exhaust.

This was an Arrow Racing ported lower intake piece.

Dan

Dan, not sure if I understand correctly, are you comparing two different cars, one with and one without Ported intake? If so I am not sure if that is the right comparison, since cars do vary in HP from stock and more you drive it more it may vary.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed on Arrow Racing site, that they offer Ported intake for Gen 4 only. Is porting intake on Gen 4 and Gen 3 produce different results? I have Gen 3.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the same setting, headers and tunable PCM via SCT. However, I was told that headers or PCM will not do any good unless you go with the full package of heads and ***. I got this info from a very reputable NA build engineer.
Gripforce can you AIM me what is the cost for ported Intake from DC?

:omg: You were told the "full package" works with what...? :omg::omg::omg:

:rolaugh:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the only one. I was afraid to mention it....lol

Usually the way I'd day it would get me booted from this site.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen4's seem to have good results...Im sure the gen3 would as well..

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet it's good for a solid 15hp...would work well with KN, PCM, and Headers!

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I never dealt with Arrow Racing, is this a reputable shop? Meaning, these guys are not just trying to sell staff by giving BS HP increase on their product results?
I know Greg Good is one of the best Viper engine tinkers, and I was told that Greg is not a fan of porting intake on the stock engine - basically you will not gain, but may even loose some HP on a stock motor with ported intake.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think you will have a problem with Arrow. They know their way around the Viper engine. They are the firm who has been contracted by Dodge to rebuild Warrantied engines. When they do supposedly they come back stronger.

I did see some rumblings about them going under not too long ago but not sure is that was rumor or not.

Lots on this site about them.

Guys, I never dealt with Arrow Racing, is this a reputable shop? Meaning, these guys are not just trying to sell staff by giving BS HP increase on their product results?
I know Greg Good is one of the best Viper engine tinkers, and I was told that Greg is not a fan of porting intake on the stock engine - basically you will not gain, but may even loose some HP on a stock motor with ported intake.

Reaction score
On a Gen 3, my opinion is to port the intake manifold and heads together. When you port match a Gen 2 or 3 manifold to a gasket the manifold ends up larger than the intake port opening on the head, and the air hits a lip going into the head, causing turbulence. Going from a larger port to a smaller port is not good for flow. The opposite, small to big is ok.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Gen 3, my opinion is to port the intake manifold and heads together. When you port match a Gen 2 or 3 manifold to a gasket the manifold ends up larger than the intake port opening on the head, and the air hits a lip going into the head, causing turbulence. Going from a larger port to a smaller port is not good for flow. The opposite, small to big is ok.

Greg, thanks for pitching in. I would never be able to explain in tech terms why it is not recommended to do the porting with stock heads.
Greg, the info you gave above, are you saying it from your experience knowing the engine flow or you actually had a chance to see dyno numbers on the car with ported intake and stock heads?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now that Greg's given me cover...
I spoke with Arrow about it some time ago when I noticed the intake porting on their website. It made absolutely no sense to me why you'd only do only half the system due to the air turbulence that Gregg mentioned. Arrow stated that your get the best results if you did both, but they said there are still reasonable gains from porting just the intake. I just couldn't get beyond the $1,500 cost that they charge (which also includes powder coating) for a "reasonable" gain.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I see some mix comments on this topic.
Basically I was wondering if anyone has a dyno sheet proof if ported Intake on a stock engine gives you any HP gain? Some people say yeah and some people say nope, not on the stock engine, in fact it even may cut 5HP on your stock engine.

Anyone got a dyno proof for one or the other?

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this attachment works. If not PM me and I'll try to get the chart to you. These results are obviously from significant head work. This builder says "The Gen 2 and Gen 3 heads that we modify with our Phase 4 heads and custom 2.055 intake valves flow over 300 cfm which is how we get the Gen 2 & Gen 3 engines to make 650 plus HP. See the latest Gen 2 dyno test for one of our Phase 4 head equipped engines."

Porting work on intake manifold not worth much unless it's a bad match to intakes on heads from the factory; unlikely on any Viper of any generation.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id trust greg good over arrow
That is exactly why I hesitate to do that upgrade. I've seen Ported manifold done from 400 to 1500. Lets say for mid terms of 700 and good tuning if I can pick up 15HP for 700 it would worth to me, question is if I pick up those HP or loose some on the stock engine.

I guess we need some core dyno proof from reputable vendor to pitch in if ported manifold does any HP increase to Gen 3 stock engine.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes I hate my viper and love my old ls1 corvette..Dont get me wrong the viper s a much better car in every way...But when you wanted to know what mod added what HP on your LS1 vette you could do a search and find 20 people who have that combo and their results...

With the Viper...

Throttle bodies..UMMM....Not sure if you get power
ported intake...UMMM....Not sure if you get anything.

Rare is good for a lot of reasons..But it also *****

How can these cars be out since 2003 and we dont have concrete??????

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes I hate my viper and love my old ls1 corvette..Dont get me wrong the viper s a much better car in every way...But when you wanted to know what mod added what HP on your LS1 vette you could do a search and find 20 people who have that combo and their results...

With the Viper...

Throttle bodies..UMMM....Not sure if you get power
ported intake...UMMM....Not sure if you get anything.

Rare is good for a lot of reasons..But it also *****

How can these cars be out since 2003 and we dont have concrete??????
Ha ha, I hear you, I used to have a Millennium Yellow C5 myself and I added 60 HP (Dyno proven) with simple bolts on to that car.

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be patient... And I promise to post the dyno proof
of HP gain on a Gen 4 car with Belanger headers, Corsa
and Mopar PCM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member