Effectiveness of Air Intake Boxes

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question regarding air intake boxes. I have seen a few for sale on the net, and I am not sure which is the most effective or if they are effective at all.

These are the 3 that I have seen:

K&N Air-Intake Box:

http://www.hopupracing.com/kngeiiairink5.html

Elite Ceramichrome Air Intake-Box:

http://store.kbhperformance.com/viper-1027.html

Vararam Air-Intake System:

You must be registered for see images

The Vararam is the only one the directly connects with the NACA duct.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these boxes? I plan on purchasing Corsa exhaust, headers, and high flow cats as well.Thanks in advance!

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the K&N box on mine and it seals to the hood when closed. Only air from the NACA duct goes in the engine. I like it so far

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more air the more effective it will be, I think that the closed boxes with inlets to the NACA duct would restrict or not give enough by the air flowing right over it, I choose to keep it open with the cone filters, K&N airbox or the Ceramichrome Air Intake-Box.
especially with a Roe supercharger
just my opinion

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't expect any noticeable performance increase with any of these intake contraptions.

They all probably give you some power at high speed, perhaps a tenth in the quarter, If you are a racer, that tenth might be worth it.
If you are not being timed on the dragstrip you will never know you have it.

There has been quite a bit of talk about the NACA duct on the Viper.
The general thought was that it isn't exactly functional and at some speeds the flow goes the wrong way.

Get the tubes and filters if you don't already have them and save your performance money for something that will give you some power.

Ulysses,
What's that Vipair thing you mentioned?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to call Macedo Motorsports on availability, but here is their airbox. I beleive it only works with Roe setups though.
6316ShowLetter-med.jpg

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K&N is only fitting on 95-98 Vipers !
I have been trying to install it just tonight.
The kit will be on sale very soon.
I spent 500$ on it and it is absolutely useless on Vipers after 98.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K&N box and set ups like it will not give you power, I have done numerous dyno pulls to verify this.

The Veram looks interesting but once again I want to see a dyno sheet showing improvement. The unit has been out more than long enough for verifiable data to be presented.

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K&N box and set ups like it will not give you power, I have done numerous dyno pulls to verify this.

The Veram looks interesting but once again I want to see a dyno sheet showing improvement. The unit has been out more than long enough for verifiable data to be presented.

Here is text posted from their website:

The Ultimate Air Induction System for your Dodge Viper.

Designed to produce more power and more Torque than any other air induction system on the road or trClick here to order now!

THE ALL NEW VR-1V FEATURES INCLUDE:

A multiple venturi design that is over 100% efficient
Capable of flowing over 2000CFM!
Seals to your factory naca duct to create a true vaccum
Optional VR Ram Air naca duct available
Your choice of one of two washable re-usable air filters The competitiona only HP+
The Super Street

A water trough system to dissipate water
A true bolt on system! No chopping or drilling

No more sucking hot air! No more cheap cones that **** hot air! A real competition designed air induction system by a company that knows air induction. Vararam Industries

Vararam Industries developed this system with the cooperation of one of the best Viper tuners in the business, Racing Solutions located in Houston ,TX and we would like to thank them for there support of this project. They allowed us the opportunity to test this unit on stock and heavily modified cars , on the road and the dyno and we think that you will find the end result quite spectacular.

Each main tube is shaped in a slightly staggered fashion (barely visible to the eye) this has been done to maximize plenum filling of the factory cross ram intake manifold.

Twin Rear velocity stacks that mount flush to your Throttle bodies

You must be registered for see images

On the move we have seen manifold pressure increases of over 3/4 of a pound that’s another 15-17hp@70mph over what you see on a static dyno, this gives tremendous total power gains in real world conditions, (you don’t win races or set records standing still)

Our Performance Guarantee!

We guarantee that you will gain either 3 tenths or +3mph in a ¼ mile over factory stock or we will buy the system back.

Test the system for yourself and we think that you will agree, If your not VR equipped your just sucking air!

We will be updating this area of our website weekly as there is simply a vast amount of data that we have collected over the past year covering many different aspects of our induction testing program during the development of the VR-1V system that we feel would interest you as a consumer or just as a performance enthusiast. We feel that you will find it very informative and educating, so check back with us from time to time to view the ongoing updates and remember…

“If you’re not VaraRam equipped your just sucking air!”

http://www.vararam.com/viper.html

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys think that Vararam is legit? I would love a SC but I don't really want to spend that much. Exhaust, headers, cats, and an air intake tops out how much I want to fork out.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a small nitrous kit. Seriously.

None of these intakes are really going to do anything you would be able to notice

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree as well. Save your money unless you are looking for a poser mod. No appreciable performance will be noticed.

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My stock box is cracked, so I bought one of the VaraRam intakes. If anything else, it looks better than stock. I will post the results when i have installed it.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I agree it doesn't feel like 50 hp, I would rather have a Vipair than smooth tubes. I like taking advantage of the high pressure air in front of the radiator in addition to the NACA duct. :usa:

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock box is cracked, so I bought one of the VaraRam intakes. If anything else, it looks better than stock. I will post the results when i have installed it.

Please do so! No one on the boards seems to have any hands-on experience with it, so it will be interesting to see how it performs. :cool:

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a Gen I??? Everything I see looks like its for the Gen II with NACA Duct.

I believe this box will worth wit a GEN I:

Elite Ceramichrome Air Intake-Box:

http://store.kbhperformance.com/viper-1027.html

It is real nice looking but a little expensive.

Is this box a direct bolt-on install or does it require any modifications to the car? I have a GEN II FE GTS.

Thanks!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I like taking advantage of the high pressure air in front of the radiator in addition to the NACA duct."

Yes, that would be nice wouldn't it.
And if any of them could do that and make more power, there would be plenty of data to prove it.

Shelby,
I'll stop if you will. Otherwise, I'll bet I know where this is going. :)

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I like taking advantage of the high pressure air in front of the radiator in addition to the NACA duct."

And if any of them could do that and make more power, there would be plenty of data to prove it.

Shelby,

Joe, why don't you release your feelings out from the closet and tell us how you really feel about Vipair. I've heard of penis envy, but Vipair envy? C'mon Joe. If you really want it that bad why don't you buy a GEN II hood so you can wreak all the benefits of the NACA duct and Vipair? We all know you want it. You can't hide from us. :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shelby,

Joe, why don't you release your feelings out from the closet and tell us how you really feel about Vipair. I've heard of penis envy, but Vipair envy? C'mon Joe. If you really want it that bad why don't you buy a GEN II hood so you can wreak all the benefits of the NACA duct and Vipair? We all know you want it. You can't hide from us. :D

..Gen 1s came OEM with Vipair equivalent, ie snorkel picking up high pressure air from behind grill.. :)

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any updates?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456