Esquire Magazine

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So not exactly my car in a magazine, but I did inspire Esquire to do a segment on car rivalries.

My letter to their editor:

Sam Smith in "The 2013 Car Awards" states that the Porsche 911 is the "perennial rival" of Corvette. And that the Vette is "Detroit's only real sports car".

As a (Dodge/SRT) Viper owner and enthusiast, I take GREAT exception to both of those statements. For the past 20 years, the greatest rivalry in American sports cars has been Viper - Vette. I don't know where Sam is from, but out here in Kentucky, we all know that 1. Vettes aren't made in Detroit. They're made in Bowling Green. 2. Viper is a hand built sports car, actually made in Detroit. and 3. I've never seen a Porsche 911 at a drag strip racing a Vette, much less trying to win the hearts and minds of folks on the street. Call us "flyover country" all you want, but desiring Porsche is a construct of coastal regions and midlife crises, not country boys with a little extra change who like eating up Mustangs on Friday nights.

You've talked about the 2013 Viper in previous issues, and it's a glaring error in judgment to call Porsche a rival of Vette, and to ignore Viper as "the other" sports car America produces.

Their reply in this month's Esquire:

You must be registered for see images

If you can't read it, it says the following:

In our 2013 Car Awards (November), Esquire car correspondent Sam Smith called the Porsche 911 the "perennial rival" of the Corvette. Matthew Snoddy, a proud Dodge Viper owner, took exception. We had no idea this would be so contentious. Or fun. So we asked Smith to give us a few more great automotive rivalries, along with what each car might say about its driver.

(and yes, I don't currently own a Viper but I still consider myself an owner, just "between Vipers" at the moment)

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well played shine. Hopefully they will add some nice pictures and info on the Viper in the future. Making believers out of people, one snake bite at a time.

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, and they've actually had several blurbs about the Gen V over the past year or so. They've always praised it. The article that led to my letter was an anomaly, I'm sure.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently wrote Road & Track a scathing letter about not including the GenV in their best of issue.
They're always moaning about the demise of real steering feel (as opposed to all electric like Porsche) and a proper manual gearbox (as opposed to paddle shift) and yet they elected to leave out the Viper. Just another Viper hatin' car mag I guess.:dunno:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was browsing mags at the magazine stand at the mall and the headline on Mopar action mag caught my attention. It said: 100 years of Dodge 1914-2014. Not a single mention of the Viper in the mag, go figure. There was a single page ad showing a gen 5 yellow Viper though,lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456