Exhaust Popping off when going WOT in 1st...

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a corsa exhaust and if/when I go WOT sometime the exhaust pipe in front of the passenger wheel pops apart. I connect the pipes again and tighten the clamp down but it still pops out. It has only happened in 1st gear when I really get on it from a slow roll. I guess I could just stop doing that... :drive: Really no need to as I have no traction at all in first with new tires. I think one of my problems might be that the pipe only goes into the other maybe 1/2". Anyway to fix this?

Yes it's a upside down picture.

picture.php

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Mike I was thinking J-B Weld... haha

I have a welder so I might just weld it in a few spots.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That might be a good idea. Not sure if these have ever been changed out. The car almost has 50K miles with a built engine and Paxton so maybe...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1. Engine/Trans mounts. Go with something better than factory.

2. Widen slots on the "slip-over" section of the pipe.

3. Re-Clamp.

4. DRIVE.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 for motormounts, and slap a wide bandclamp over that connection to seal her up

i had the same thing happening on my GTS when i first got her

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's the pipe in front of the rear tire?

If it was a motormount problem I would expect the front section of pipes/cats/muffler would pull apart if the exhaust was built and/or installed properly. I'd suspect that the rear section is too short and doesn't fit into the joint far enough. Clamp? There's no clamp or clamp markings on the pipe. The pipe looks like mild steel (rust spots?). I wasn't aware that Corsa made a mild steel exhaust system?

Ted

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I thought it was a Corsa. I bought it from a dealer and all of this was already installed on it. Does corsa have a stamping somewhere with their name?

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea Phil, I think I am going to do that for the time being. Then take a look at the mounts.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I thought it was a Corsa. I bought it from a dealer and all of this was already installed on it. Does corsa have a stamping somewhere with their name?

I think the 4" tips have the name? You'd have to call Corsa and ask them.

Ted

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely do the motor and trans mounts now. Might want to get up with Mark J from Woodhouse for the Poly engine mounts. I thing Jegs has the tranny mounts.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Mark has them both. I'll give him my business as he hooked me up when I was getting my Paxton rebuilt.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely do the motor and trans mounts now. Might want to get up with Mark J from Woodhouse for the Poly engine mounts. I thing Jegs has the tranny mounts.

Woodhouse has the trans mount too. I have heard of aftermarket mounts being a different height than stock. The woodhouse mount is the correct height.

What I don't like is the vibration from the poly mounts....some say it goes away but gezzzz it's bad when they are new. Maybe due to the trans mount. I have solid steel motor mounts and no vibration like the two cars I have installed poly's on.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse has the trans mount too. I have heard of aftermarket mounts being a different height than stock. The woodhouse mount is the correct height.

What I don't like is the vibration from the poly mounts....some say it goes away but gezzzz it's bad when they are new. Maybe due to the trans mount. I have solid steel motor mounts and no vibration like the two cars I have installed poly's on.

Are you saying that there's less vibration with solid steel mounts than with poly mounts?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that there's less vibration with solid steel mounts than with poly mounts?

Less with steel motor mounts and stock trans VS poly motor AND trans mount. That's my car VS two cars I have done poly mounts on.

I just did one this week and drove it with the poly trans mount only and it definitely vibrated, I'm not sure it got any worse after the motor mounts were done. I do know that the trans mount is right under your butt.

But it seems like everyone says the vibration settles down after 500 or so miles. We will know in a few weeks.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less with steel motor mounts and stock trans VS poly motor AND trans mount. That's my car VS two cars I have done poly mounts on.

I just did one this week and drove it with the poly trans mount only and it definitely vibrated, I'm not sure it got any worse after the motor mounts were done. I do know that the trans mount is right under your butt.

But it seems like everyone says the vibration settles down after 500 or so miles. We will know in a few weeks.

Yes, we WILL know in a few weeks. Some of that vibration may be from the tires. When I brought it to you, car had been setting for about 3 months. Extreme flat spots on the tires. It did smooth out some on the way down though. I'm putting the KDW's on this week, so we'll know for sure. See ya in a few hours :2tu:

Sorry Jon,
back on track everybody.....