Exhaust Popping Sound - What is it from?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technical question here. When down shifting, the exhaust makes the standard Viper popping/crackling sound.

What actualy creates the sound? Is it fuel ignition in the cats (I highly doubt this!) or ??????:confused:

I gather a strait piped race car would have flames comming out at this point.:dunno:

Thanks!

Robert

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told by all of the tuners and Viper techs that it is lean decel. It can be 'tuned' out (with a VEC or other tuner) by adding fuel when you release the pedal at RPM. I had major pop with my car before adding a VEC2 with tune and it's considerably better now.

Enjoy them or have them 'tuned out' -- either way it's your call!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good o-post and good answer :2tu:

that explains the change (in pops and let off idle) after the SCT tune :drive:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The pop relates to how much fuel is allowed on decel. We can tune this in or out depending on what you like.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the pop on decel.
I also like the flames, since I took the cats out... :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told by all of the tuners and Viper techs that it is lean decel. It can be 'tuned' out (with a VEC or other tuner) by adding fuel when you release the pedal at RPM. I had major pop with my car before adding a VEC2 with tune and it's considerably better now.

Enjoy them or have them 'tuned out' -- either way it's your call!

It is unburned fuel that when it hits oxygen rich air at the end of the hot exhaust pipe ignites and explodes. As has been explained it can be tuned out by reducing that unburned fuel.

eh....so which is it? Too much fuel or not enough fuel? :dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eh....so which is it? Too much fuel or not enough fuel? :dunno:

Fuel will burn within a specified concentration. Too lean, not enough fuel to burn. Too rich, not enough oxygen to support combustion.

What is the concentration range that gasoline will ignite in air? Do not know. Or care.

Can you richen the fuel trim so that decel is too rich to support combustion? Do not know. Or c......

But too rich will destroy your cats. And that, I care about.

Dave, with cats.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I leaned my VEC out under decel and the popping went away.

I would agree that leaning the decel is the way to reduce popping. It would be hard to believe that at the end of the exhaust pipe the unburned fuel could be so concentrated it couldn't find enough oxygen to ignite.

Plus, the fumes from that would make you post like Juli.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree that leaning the decel is the way to reduce popping. It would be hard to believe that at the end of the exhaust pipe the unburned fuel could be so concentrated it couldn't find enough oxygen to ignite.

Plus, the fumes from that would make you post like Juli.[/quote]

Then what is YOUR excuse, Cowboy...HOPS????? :eater: ~juli
(bummer on NO popping on decel...:(...:drive:)

D

DAMN YANKEE

Popping deceleration - excess fuel

Popping acceleration - timing

Popping during deceleration and then acceleration - Drive by Shooting

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past summer I was at Branerd Int'l Raceway for a track day, riding shotgun for 1 session in a Ford GT; we followed another Ford GT that had a smaller pulley and headers; on his upshifts, big flames poured out and we were right on his bumper; it was quite a sight...i have seen that on on race cars of course many times but never to that extent on a street car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past summer I was at Branerd Int'l Raceway for a track day, riding shotgun for 1 session in a Ford GT; we followed another Ford GT that had a smaller pulley and headers; on his upshifts, big flames poured out and we were right on his bumper; it was quite a sight...i have seen that on on race cars of course many times but never to that extent on a street car.

I'd have loved to see that too! :cool::cool::cool: ~juli

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, what did you do after removing the cats? O2 simms or reprogramming of the PCM to get rid off the CEL codes?

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir Smoty was out on his knoble steed fighting men in armour.......;);) Like duh!:lmao:

Actually, this being in a different time zone thing throws everything off!;)

Sir Smoty