Finally made some passes down the 1/4

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First trip to the dragstrip in the Viper. Made 7 passes. 1997 GTS with exhaust, S&B filters, smooth tubes, PS3 tires, and side sill cooling mod. The pcm has apparently been programmed by the previous owner. I installed the ROE SCT 93 tune after the 4th pass and ran over one tenth and 3mph slower. I then reinstalled the "stock" tune. I have about 5 visits to the track in my life with previous cars, and know I need a lot of practice. Stock 97s have been much quicker. :( My best pass was my only loss of the day, which means I wasn't racing the right cars. :D

I'm placing my first 6 timeslips below. My last run was a [email protected]. May have been my best run of the day, but I'll never know. 4th did not want to cooperate on my last 2 passes.

Had a great time. I beat my friend in his turbo'd 2003 Z06(bottom left slip), and I will not be racing him again any time soon. :fingersx: He popped a hose off the turbo(??) before hitting the 1/8mi mark and lost boost. You'll notice I left on the first amber light. :lmao: He was more concerned with getting his launch down, and took a nap at the tree. I'm #62.

TimeSlips_1.jpg

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! Respectable times for being new to the track. Fast car!

Back when my car was having issues missing 4th gear, it was due to a broken motor mount. If your shifter kicks to the right pretty hard when you get on it in 1st and 2nd, then you may have a broken mount. It's common in these cars.

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!! 3 months go by and not one reply. Now three on one day??!! :D

Seriously, thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll represent a little better on my next visit. I figure I can only get better, especially looking at my 60' and 1/8mi times. :crazy2:

Back when my car was having issues missing 4th gear, it was due to a broken motor mount. If your shifter kicks to the right pretty hard when you get on it in 1st and 2nd, then you may have a broken mount. It's common in these cars.

Motor and transmission mounts are on my winter project list. :2tu:
I'm sure mine are not holding up well, going by pictures other '97 owners have posted. :mad: Even if they do not need replacing yet, they will soon, right?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, best time to get a response is dinner and early evening. Posting after midnight may slip through the cracks.

Good fun. New tranny fluid over the winter is a good idea as well as diff fluid.

Before racing the vette again instal a Roe sc. 5# should kick his butt and if you need more buy some drag radials.

Keep having fun with your car!

Ted

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before racing the vette again instal a Roe sc. 5# should kick his butt and if you need more buy some drag radials.

I may need a little more than the Roe. He was feeling the car out that day. His second time to the track resulted in a best of 10.1@142. I'm still 1-0 against him at the track. :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, you're right. I even need a little more than "drive to track" trim. If you're main concern is just to beat the vette, just instal a Nitrous system or two and a set of Drag radials. You should get 9s. I'd suggest a 100hp system and then a 200-250hp to finish the strip with. Have the big kit set for 3500rpm+.

Now if you actually like big power, then instal a Roe with 8# and a Nitrous kit. That should kick his ass and make everyone happy, lol.

Ted

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, you're right. I even need a little more than "drive to track" trim. If you're main concern is just to beat the vette, just instal a Nitrous system or two and a set of Drag radials. You should get 9s. I'd suggest a 100hp system and then a 200-250hp to finish the strip with. Have the big kit set for 3500rpm+.

Now if you actually like big power, then instal a Roe with 8# and a Nitrous kit. That should kick his ass and make everyone happy, lol.

Ted

My main concern was getting a good feel for my car. I've only had a few prior track visits with a couple of Corvettes I've owned in the past. I'll admit I'm a terrible driver, when it comes to drag racing. I'm still looking for that fine line between bog and tire spin. The 335s do hook better than the 315s I had on my previous car. I was making more power in my '02 Z06(460rwhp/490rwtq), but ran a slower 12.10@124. Hell, some Z06s ran that time stock. :rolaugh:

I may look into that dual nitrous set-up down the road. Sure would be much cheaper than going the supercharger/turbo route, but not as much fun. :drive:

Ted "B" :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950