Forged internals ? Options?

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are our options these days for forged rotating assemblies. What all is really needed to support 1k rwhp? I heard Callie's has a package or is coming out with one. I see tunners piecing diffrient brand parts together. Is that a better way to go vs just one brand for all parts?

Last edited:

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan at Viper Specialty, give him a call. wealth of info on High HP build.

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just give a call to one of the above mentioned people or the other site sponsors.

My built motor was built at A&C performance and its a beast with the RSI TT bolted to it. The motor made just shy of 700 whp with out the turbos

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just a few points:

Just because something "works" does not mean it is the best idea or combination for a given package. Anytime standardized parts are in the mix, you are giving up something. Every time any specific detail or duty behind an engine build changes, there is a potential change in preferred specifications of what is built. This is why we build 95% custom engines, and only about 5% end up being something built with shelf parts. While we offer multiple engine and internal packages, every single one of them is spec'd based on the individual engine build.

At 1K at the wheels, you are absolutely up in the range where low-mid range parts are not the best solution, but there are multiple options in all categories in any case.

One of the largest portions of our business these days is the custom race and forced induction engines; http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/Gallery.asp [Not recently updated, but some nice builds from last year]

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan can you elaborate on what should be changed for 1000 rwhp? I assume crank, pistons, rods. Anything to support that power level?

Hey Guys,

Just a few points:

Just because something "works" does not mean it is the best idea or combination for a given package. Anytime standardized parts are in the mix, you are giving up something. Every time any specific detail or duty behind an engine build changes, there is a potential change in preferred specifications of what is built. This is why we build 95% custom engines, and only about 5% end up being something built with shelf parts. While we offer multiple engine and internal packages, every single one of them is spec'd based on the individual engine build.

At 1K at the wheels, you are absolutely up in the range where low-mid range parts are not the best solution, but there are multiple options in all categories in any case.

One of the largest portions of our business these days is the custom race and forced induction engines; http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/Gallery.asp [Not recently updated, but some nice builds from last year]

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a stock 96-99 gen2 can handle 1krwhp i dont see the gen 3 motor needing anything "fancy". Just some parts that are equivalant to the factory gen2 stock forged internals.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just give a call to one of the above mentioned people or the other site sponsors.

My built motor was built at A&C performance and its a beast with the RSI TT bolted to it. The motor made just shy of 700 whp with out the turbos

Will do. Todd is great!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan can you elaborate on what should be changed for 1000 rwhp? I assume crank, pistons, rods. Anything to support that power level?

Some of this is subject to the type of build and RPM range, [ex: blower cars require stronger parts than TT cars at the same power levels]

BUT in general:

-Billet caps, machining, studded block/heads.
-Crank machining, balancing, keyways
-Mid-grade or higher rods
-High-grade pistons & coatings
-Specific bearing and ring selection
-ATI damper
-Camshaft & Timing Set
-Specific gasket selection

It is worth noting that an engine is NOT a sum total of its parts. You cannot simply throw these items together- they must be specified to match each other. Things like deck height, gasket thickness, rod length, compression heights, piston dish, head design and chamber size all come into play, and all most work together, or nothing does as it should- or just plain doesn't fit.

This engine is a very good example of a package like this: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/ClintSSRT.asp

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 3 is over 1,000 rwhp. Here is what is inside the engine:

Stock block
Stock mains
Full ARP hardware top to bottom
Stock crank w/ some minor machining, balancing and oil hole work
Custom spec cam
High-grade forged pistons w/ gas ports and coatings
Mid-grade forged rods
ATI damper
Upgraded valves
Upgraded valvesprings
Upgraded pushrods
Stock head castings
Stock intake manifold
Stock rocker arms
Belanger headers

+Paxton Novi2000 and 150 hp nitrous kit

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 3 is over 1,000 rwhp. Here is what is inside the engine:

Stock block
Stock mains
Full ARP hardware top to bottom
Stock crank w/ some minor machining, balancing and oil hole work
Custom spec cam
High-grade forged pistons w/ gas ports and coatings
Mid-grade forged rods
ATI damper
Upgraded valves
Upgraded valvesprings
Upgraded pushrods
Stock head castings
Stock intake manifold
Stock rocker arms
Belanger headers

+Paxton Novi2000 and 150 hp nitrous kit

Very helpful. Thank you. Who did the work?