Gas Mileage

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm sitting with my work buddies and they've all got trucks of various kinds. I'm telling them about how I got 24MPG on the highway while averaging about 75mph. (stock 96 RT10 with the top and windows) So of course they start joking and asking if I was drafting Ricky Bobby. How does such a big engine get such (relatively)good gas mileage?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.07 gears at 1,500rpm in 6th gear is 75mph. 2,000rpm is 100mph. I got 27mpg on the way back from Atlanta. My father was following me in his minivan, and I got better milage. If you try to clip your toe nails on the radiator fan you'll get bad milage; it's all relative to how you drive.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you try to clip your toe nails on the radiator fan you'll get bad milage; it's all relative to how you drive.

Well that's hitting the nail on the head! :headbang:

Mike, tell the "gas passer's" I said "Hello"! :2tu: And Thank you! :usa:

O' Yea, 24mpg @ 80mph [RED 94] :D

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My best mileage was 26MPG with the original 3.07 gears on a long trip, and subsequently 24MPG (averaging about 80 with the A/C on) after swapping in 3.55 gears.
That's one of the comments that always makes me smile when people comment on how terrible the gas mileage of the Viper is. I average 16-17MPG in regular mixed driving, which is better than most of my friend's SUVs.
And I'd also attribute it to the Viper being a 3400lb car with a V10 and tall gears that's untaxed until awakened.
Sure the mileage drops when you get heavily on the gas, but that's an acceptable trade off for the exceptional performance on demand. :2tu:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock car / stock gears at 75-80 MPH / 24 was best / 15/16 MPG around town
3:45 gears -- almost 23, but easily 22 / 13-15 MPG around town
Roe blower/ 3:45s / 20-21 highway(22.5 once) /12-13 MPG around town (much more tire slippage for some reason)

Pretty much better than any pick up truck out there. There's millions of trucks on the road getting worse mileage and we get the guzzler tax. My 4x4 GMC is lucky to 14 around town--worse in the winter

Steve

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock car with stock gears going to and from florida from NJ i averaged 24.3 mpg. and was not drving slow. going thru so carolina at nite i averaged over 100mph for most of the state... ALLEGEDLY !

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While engine efficiency at low speeds is better, the excellent highway fuel economy is all to do about frontal area.

At highway speeds, vehicle speed changes are (supposedly) negligible so we can ignore vehicle weight. The fuel is consumed based on

(drag) X (frontal area) X (air density) X (speed^2)

I found the SRT specs here: http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_detroit/la_show/viper/viper_info.doc
and it says frontal area is 19.3 sq.ft. and a 0.39 drag coefficient. I think Gen 1/2 Vipers are 0.45

The frontal area of a Dodge pickup is 35.1 sq.ft and the Cd is 0.432.

With similar drag coefficients, the big difference is in the size presented to the airflow. Drafting would help. Maybe instead of a high-occupancy lane, it would be more universally beneficial to have a drafting lane; one could probably calculate that with current driver habits and vehicles types already on the road, that would save the country far more fuel.

http://www.truckgadgets.com/tonneausavesgas.htm
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_chicago/megacab/megacab_info.doc
http://www.bgsoflex.com/airdragchart.html

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9MPG!! Chuck and I are still looking to solve this.
That's easy Tiger. Just release the clutch pedal and loosen your grip on the steering. :D

I get 25+mpg at 75mph on the highway. :cool:

OTOH, In NYC traffic, the gauge with the quickest moving needle is the fuel gauge, about 10mpg. :evilmad:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe blower/ 3:45s / 20-21 highway(22.5 once) /12-13 MPG around town (much more tire slippage for some reason)

Cool. That's the first post I've read with the MPG numbers for a SC. Everyone else with one either doesn’t know or says something like "If you're concerned about fuel economy you shouldn't have bought a Viper."

I just wanted to know how much a SC affected it so I wouldn't be in for any surprises if I add this next year. Doesn't seem like it's too much difference.

Anyway, mine was around 22 MPG driving home after I first bought it. I didn't have it in 6th gear all the time because I didn't know if it was okay to coast down the highway at 1500 rpm for very long. I get 12.5 mpg around town. It has stock gearing.

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, when I sent them the link to this thread, this is what happened(read from bottom up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Me
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:35 AM
Subject: RE: fyi

That must be your definition of reality. Reality = Jealousy? Don’t think so

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Him
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:32 AM

Jealousy is a stinky perfume

To: Me
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:25 AM

And?

You all must be delusional. Or smoking the same s***t

Cc: Him
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:17 AM
Subject: fyi

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=772049&an=0&page=0#Post772049

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone that assumes a high horsepower car gets poor gas mileage is not paying attention, simple as that. short of reading what Tom wrote, I can offer some good aerospace and mechanical engineering books to educate your friends.

I get this question all the time and I love asking people if they really think my lightweight, flat, low, and small sportscar really gets worse gas mileage than their brick minivan or bus suv...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Total Gallons of gas:................1,603.844
Total Miles Traveled:..............27,727.---
Average MPG:.............................17.288

Getting better MPG than Tiger:........Priceless

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads