Gauging Interest on Gen 2 Rear Diffuser Blades

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Photos for those contemplating a 6 blade setup. Doesn't look bad at all though I personally am going to only do 4 on my own. Keep in mind the front of the blades are not mounted yet so they will flush mount just fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gauging Interest on Gen 2 Rear Diffusor Blades

Now we all have our opinions Dave. I can see it potentially looking good. Honestly I liked your hood vents white, I even liked Baz's black, but its not for everyone. We can agree that we have seen much worse things done to a Viper then a couple blades.6 blades look pretty good on the srts.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I placed my order... I'm all show, no go. :p

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now maybe in your opinion (which you ARE entitled to :D) you don't think mine looks sharp, but I did build it to follow the body contour. Ref. the pic I used earlier. And short of some wind tunnel testing which will never happen, based on the near clean rear bumper cover I'm saying air management is "good."

]

You did a nice job of matching the straight piece to the curve of the car, and FWIW it looks fine. My point was that when one combines curvy lines of the car with straight lines of the diffuser, its an awkward design deal. You matched it well, but its still curvy car wearing a straight piece. Just looks mismatched to me (though I've done the same thing on my cars)

Someone from pinin farina weight in here!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doh! that's "weigh" not "weight"

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They are R-100s. Subsequent to this first track outing at TWS, we convinced Hoosier to begin producing the R-100 in a 355/650-18 as the tire in the photo was too big in diameter and we could not get the car low enough. We had a dramatic improvement in lap times - over 2 seconds a lap on our local 1.7 mile track, the Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX (not far from Dave6666).

They looked like 100s. Thanks. 2 seconds is alot, is that 2 seconds over R6's or over the larger 100's? (i.e. was it the lowering that got you the improvement or the rubber compound?)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You did a nice job of matching the straight piece to the curve of the car, and FWIW it looks fine. My point was that when one combines curvy lines of the car with straight lines of the diffuser, its an awkward design deal. You matched it well, but its still curvy car wearing a straight piece. Just looks mismatched to me (though I've done the same thing on my cars)

Yes I agree that I installed what must be the only straight edges on the car LOL. There's someone on ebay been selling a version like mine - plate w/ blades - and the blades have a nice round radius at the back. Yeah, those blades got curves, but they just look wrong from a classic aero diffuser standpoint.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes I agree that I installed what must be the only straight edges on the car LOL. There's someone on ebay been selling a version like mine - plate w/ blades - and the blades have a nice round radius at the back. Yeah, those blades got curves, but they just look wrong from a classic aero diffuser standpoint.

I was looking at that setup myself. It is not functional. The blades are similar to the ones I had made. The main difference between that and mine is that one has a big base plate. Mine utilizes stock bolts to keep the blades rigid.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO the 6blades look stupid but maybe its just because you can see the 1"-90degree angle bend for the attachment points. Makes it look like a tacky ad-on that you could buy at pep-boys or something. Prob more noticable on a light/bright color like yellow due to the contrast.

If your gonna do this stuff i'd recommend using Daves design that incorperates the underside sheet that everything attaches to. It looks like a much more complete setup. I would not worry about the covering up of the paint on the underside of the bumper. Look @ daves pics again. It looks fine. There is still plenty of color on the rear.

Dave, could you post a pic of your finished diffuser from the rear for comparison?

Last edited:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

is it possible to get #5 and #6 blades on the inside space next to the exhaust?

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's all a matter of taste. Those tacky tabs are found on ever SRT with oem blades on it, and they are visible. The front 2 tabs on the srt oem diffuser are visible and mounted on the outside, how tacky of dodge. I don't mean to be rude but your pep boys comment was unwarranted. The 90 degree tab will be powder coated or painted anyhow.
I have zero interest in doing a diffuser like Daves. It is a lot bigger then I want to put on my car as stated many times.
Now you can make a sheet yourself easily and attach machine cut blades to it like these if you like. The per blade price is damn good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

is it possible to get #5 and #6 blades on the inside space next to the exhaust?

Not with the tabs on the first run. The urethane is very wavy next to the exhaust and prevents the blade from sitting flush. I recommend 4 blades max honestly. I'll sell you 50 but its your car to decide how many you want to put. It is possible to add extra holes next to the rear urethane bolts to add extra blades though. You would just drill a hole and add more threaded metal clips.

Also for the folks who emailed me about 6 blades I do have the 12 inch flat stock now. It will have to be trimmed down to size for your application though.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's all a matter of taste. Those tacky tabs are found on ever SRT with oem blades on it, and they are visible. The front 2 tabs on the srt oem diffuser are visible and mounted on the outside, how tacky of dodge.

The tabs on the OEM diffuser and Dave's and Autoform's and Any other version are all painted the same color as the base. Tastfull of dodge. Not tacky like your approach where the tabs will standout with the high contrast between black & yellow.

The 90 degree tab will be powder coated or painted anyhow.

If your talking about painting just the tab Yellow, then the rest of the blade Black then i think that might be an improvement on the look:2tu:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The tabs on the OEM diffuser and Dave's and Autoform's and Any other version are all painted the same color as the base. Tastfull of dodge. Not tacky like your approach where the tabs will standout with the high contrast between black & yellow.

If your talking about painting just the tab Yellow, then the rest of the blade Black then i think that might be an improvement on the look:2tu:

But the blades are visible. There is no way around that with out making a huge aluminum panel. And now instead of having 4 visible tables you have a huge visible aluminum panel. To each's own but that style is not for me. Once painted the tabs will not stand out that much. Also you are COMPLETELY CAPABLE of paint matching the blades if it concerns you that much. What would be the difference between paint match tabs on the GTS and paint matched tabs on the SRT? NONE. Thank you for your concern but I have the base design that we are rolling with. Any future improvements will be small. Here is a photo of OEM blades.

Also for those interested in the blades my second set has been sold. I am placing an order for 12 sets on Monday so they will be able to be shipped early next week.

Attachments

• Slate fins 001.jpg
    Slate fins 001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 21

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+1 Agreed. Logical point

DaveGF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both were r-100s - it was the lowering - both the shorter tire directly and the ability to lower the car due to increased wheel well clearance

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I personally think they look great and are a super alternative to what is currently out on the market at a fair price, the great thing with them being aluminum is you and paint them any color you please, great job :2tu:

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave, You wear the spell check hat, not were the spell check hat....:D

Sorry I cant help myself. I had to laugh at this. Childish but nesessary, sometimes we all have to stoop to make point, well done. :2tu:
To the topic at hand, I have to say most of these larger designs that offer functionality, are ugly. We could all fasten rear wings to the hood of our cars for the utmost in effective downforce, but dont. Why? Because its UGLY. Canards were developed as a comprimise offering less downforce, and more aesthetics. If you want functionability, its going to look ugly on your style of cars, simply due to the nature of he car design itself. IMHO, you are designing something that has already been done to perfection, on the SRT, and doesnt have an aesthetically pleasing effect on the GTS, regardless of its size, color or shape. ;)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think Dave's is very nicely done. KNG SNKE's also looks good and seems to be a good comprise to looks as opposed to functionality. I like how they look, couldn't care more about functionality. I may purchase a set but probably mount them to an aluminum panel ala Dave6666. Nice work.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ that is a great functioning diffuser but its $900 (made of plastic!) and from a aesthetic prospective IMO very "hello you cant miss me" (probably the reason it works) you also have to cut slots into the 3 black painted sections just under where the bumper starts to curve down. (the site notes it mounts to the 6 bolts, so I may be thinking of another one on the market) If you want to remover down the line your bumper is really chewed up (if in fact you have to cut) verses a few small drill holes that are much lower and probably not noticeable from the perspective of a standing person. I'm a fan of diffuser but have always felt they are way overprice for what you get

Surprised no one is mentioning the autoform splitter on here looks like Dave has already seen it cause his design seems to be a copy of it.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think Dave's is very nicely done. KNG SNKE's also looks good and seems to be a good comprise to looks as opposed to functionality. I like how they look, couldn't care more about functionality. I may purchase a set but probably mount them to an aluminum panel ala Dave6666. Nice work.

The issue I run into with the functionality part is what determines functionality. I would venture to say maybe 1 of the diffusers you can buy have actually been tested in a wind tunnel for functionality. Beyond that it is either hear say or false claims. Maybe they work, maybe they don't. With out proper testing there would be no way to know.

I claim no functionality. If it reduces dust on your car, cool. That would be the limitation to them. They will not help you corner faster, etc. They will look nice and they do complement the rear of the GTS quite well. The share the look of the SRT but with their own styling.

I have placed my order and the next batch will be ready next week so shoot me a pm if your interested and I will pen you in on the list. I am having 12 sets made, 2 have been spoken for thus far.

Also hopefully by this weekend I will have a set installed on a bumblebee. A local bought the second set and I am painting them black at the moment for him. He will have them powder coated at a later date but black paint for now to complete the look. We plan on using some bolts that look like OEM fasteners to mount the blades with.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Surprised no one is mentioning the autoform splitter on here looks like Dave has already seen it cause his design seems to be a copy of it.

http://www.autoformgroup.com/autofo...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Cant say for sure without side pictures but it seems looks good and is fully functional.

Pretty sure the one that Dave has is CF. The one from Autoform is FRP. Dave's also has support cables visible and does not use the rear bumper insets to mount.

Those technicalities aside, both are simple plate/blade designs. Pretty hard to say one simple design copies another when quite honestly, there really aren't other design choices.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry I cant help myself. I had to laugh at this. Childish but nesessary, sometimes we all have to stoop to make point, well done. :2tu:

Well press 2 for kanuck because reading English is clearly not a skill you possess. I clearly stated that I purposefully misspelled that entire post for humor. The fact you want to spin it makes you a ********* sir. I am a master of making a mockery of what people say if you want to play the spin game over and over with me.

Back on topic, I think it is great that some people actually have car related skills and can illustrate that skill like with these diffuser blades. Then being able to produce them for sale is, well, king! :D