Gen 1 fuel leak???

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When my Gen 1 tank is full (and only when completely full) and parked at a slight side-to-side angle, like on a public street with a normal street curve for rain run off, fuel will puddle just behind the right rear wheel. I suspect that this has to do with the filler neck. (?) Anyone had this happen to his or her car? Any ideas?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my Gen 1 tank is full (and only when completely full) and parked at a slight side-to-side angle, like on a public street with a normal street curve for rain run off, fuel will puddle just behind the right rear wheel. I suspect that this has to do with the filler neck. (?) Anyone had this happen to his or her car? Any ideas?

You can afford to keep a full tank of fuel in your Viper? Wow, you must be rich lol

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness, when I first bought my Snake, you could smeel fuel by the right rear wheel after fillups and "spirited driving". I kept a close eye on it during a fillup one day and saw some fuel trickling out thru the splash shield as I was pumping it in. All I did was pull the splash shield back and tightened the 4 (or maybe 3) screws that attach the fuel neck to the top of the 1/4 panel (where the gas nozzle actually goes in). And be sure to quit pumping when the automatic shutoff valve stops the nozzle from pumping.

OP
OP
T

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can afford to keep a full tank of fuel in your Viper? Wow, you must be rich lol

Ha! No problem. All you do is stop at every gas station along your route and top off. This way you never spend more that 5 or 6 bucks at any one stop! (I live in California, so 6 bucks equates to just shy of two gallons!)

But seriously...

Hey Chuck, Thanks for the response.

I found the part you indicated in both my parts (Fig. 12-210) and repair manual (14-12). Besides draining the fuel tank, it looks like you have to drill out the rivets holding the trunk ‘access’ panel to gain access to the fuel tank. While I’m fairly mechanically inclined, I’m not a professional mechanic as you are. Is this a ‘do-it-yourselfer’ project or should I just take my car in and have a professional take a look-see? On top of this, my fuel pump is going. The dealer quoted me 600+ for the pump and a few hundred bones for labor. Can you get me a better price for a fuel pump? Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

OP
OP
T

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chad,

Tried your suggestion... filler tube screws appeared to be tight, but I torqued them just for good measure anyway. I don't think this the problem, but I'll keep an open mind and hope that your suggestion does the trick! Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Cheers!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine seemed tight too, but as soon as i torqued them down, the smell went away. I left the shield peeled back during a fillup so I could see if the fuel was leaking when it went into the tank (the part I believe Chuck is referring to) and mine wasnt, and the neck itself didnt show any leaks so that was the only spot my leak couldve been coming from.

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to replace my filler tube grommet, just like The Wizard said. Same symptom that you're having.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to pull out my filler tube and "cleanit up" and reinstall it without drilling out any grommets or removing fuel tank. I am not sure if removal of fuel tank is nec. to replace grommet,as I kept mine. Fuel smell is still there, but it doesn't leak much anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21