Gen 3/4 guys finally have a option of a good runflat in 19/20" size

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just noticed that the tire they are putting on the ZR1 is a runflat. Its a PS2, like the OEM 2008 Viper but now made as a runflat. I started doing more research and it seems to be a sticky tire. I wonder if it has the darting charteristics like the old runflats on our cars.

Im curious who will be the first to give them a try and give me some feedback. I love the PS2 and it is a great street/occassional track day tire. The reviews on tire rack seem to be real good for guys with Vettes using this new PS2 runflat. Some posted who well it worked at the track. And look how well it did at the "Ring" with the ZR1.

It would be nice to have a tire that works great like the PS2 and also a runflat for trips. No worries about nails. I also like that the rear size they make is smaller in 20".
My 335/30/20 which is only PS2 option is 28" tall, but the 335/25/20 they are making in PS2 runflat is 26.6" tall. So alot smaller, which will help with gearing, stock our rears are 27.2" tall. For comparison the Pireli in 345/25/20 is 26.8 " tall and the Nitto 345/25/20 is 26.6" tall. The PS2 tends to run wide, so the 335 PS2 is as wide , if not wider then the 345 Pirelli and Nitto.

The sizing available is 285/30/20 front and 335/25/20 rear. They are a bit pricey, about $545 each for fronts and $ 630 each for rears. Someone needs to go try them out. Post about it, so I can decide.:2tu:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im really tempted to just bite the bullet and try them. My rears are about worn out and I have a track day in November. I need new tires, so this would be a oppurtunity to give them street and track testing. Just means I get to be the guinnea pig. I didnt want to be "that guy" . lol

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, the wheels are yours just as soon as I find a set of sidewinders. But this news makes me want to get some forgelines with runflats. I know that we have much better tire options but I couldn't deal with being stuck somwhere because of a nail.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info ... not so great price, ouch. Looking forward to reports on them, & JonB getting a better deal!!

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I may be getting a set next week. Been doing more reading and making more calls. Watched some videos and the tire looks to be kick @ss. It is completely redesigned and actually has posted better times supposedly then the regular PS2.
If I get them , I will be doing street driving in the hills, a day at the drag strip and I have a track day set up at a road course. So I should be able to give some good feedback.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those run flats will still **** compared to a regular PS2. Why bother? I am sure the ZR1 guys will be happy when they wear out to change to something else.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those run flats will still **** compared to a regular PS2. Why bother? I am sure the ZR1 guys will be happy when they wear out to change to something else.
So I guess if they put regular PS2's on the Z06 it would have done better at the Ring :rolleyes:

Go read what there saying when they tested them. Ron Fellows ( Lemans Driver ) was testing them, on ZR1 and Z06. Handled better due to the stiffer sidewall. The regular PS2 is actually a little to giving.

I guess Ill find out soon enough. Normaly Id say a runflat *****, but this is a whole new tire, whole new ball game. Alot of testing went into this tire. Ialready lnow it will be better then the Pirelli and definately better then the Nitto, well have to see how it compares to regular PS2.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess if they put regular PS2's on the Z06 it would have done better at the Ring :rolleyes:

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: I think it would have.

I would not praise that tire by one test. You need to wait till more people try it. Yet the performance you think you will gain from it vs. a regular PS2 is just pointless. And if you are taking it to the track, why spend more on a tire that will most likely perform the same as the cheaper PS2. Since none of us here can drive like a Lemans driver its a totally waste of money. Go with PS2s for street use and a dedicated track tire in a smaller size for the track. Chevy just got a runflat together because as a manufacturer its just another selling point to say the car has run flats and not have to deal with a spare or tire repair kit/compressor.

Its a waste of money, plain and simple for any Viper owner to get those tires.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: I think it would have.

I would not praise that tire by one test. You need to wait till more people try it. Yet the performance you think you will gain from it vs. a regular PS2 is just pointless. And if you are taking it to the track, why spend more on a tire that will most likely perform the same as the cheaper PS2. Since none of us here can drive like a Lemans driver its a totally waste of money. Go with PS2s for street use and a dedicated track tire in a smaller size for the track. Chevy just got a runflat together because as a manufacturer its just another selling point to say the car has run flats and not have to deal with a spare or tire repair kit/compressor.

Its a waste of money, plain and simple for any Viper owner to get those tires.

Hmmm... guess you can't read! The option of having a run flat is for those of us that don't want to get stuck somewhere but still be able to have better handling and traction oriented tires. In other words a RUNFLAT!! :cool:

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Miker, post your findings if you decide to order these.

I have to be honest though, after having conventional tires on my car, I'd never go back to runcraps of any sort!

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Miker, post your findings if you decide to order these.

I have to be honest though, after having conventional tires on my car, I'd never go back to runcraps of any sort!

They were ordered today. So Ill post my results and update over next few months as I hit the track.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so we put the new tires on today. The new runflat 285/30/19's appear to be the same hight as the 275/30/19's when they are stood next to each other. The runflat 285's are an inch wider than the 275's as well.

the 335/25/19's ps2 run flats are just as wide as my 345/25/20 pzeros....in fact I think my pzeros seem a bit more streched than the run flat ps2's. I think the new runlfat ps2's do look shorter than my pzeros though.

They were definatly the hardest tires I've ever had to mount be prepared to spend some $$$ when looking for someone to mount these bad boys! :eek:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lets see some pics! This sounds awesome

Ill try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow. So far all is good. Rides nice. Ill have a chance to test out on a big drive thru the hills this weekend.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be getting these for my gen2 because i just got new rims... I will only be getting the same rear tires, as my front wheels are different!

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heres a few pics of it on new PS2's

You must be registered for see images attach

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...love the stoptech 2 piece rotors! Are those the ones that are on the ACR?

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were... but he had a garage sale and said "EVERYTHING MUST GO" That was including all his viper parts AND his VIPER!!!
:rolaugh:

yep... that is right... he is riding on 2 wheeled rice burners again!!! He missed the wind in his hair and the tight pants that he can wear with all his "buddies"

:lmao::lmao:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...love the stoptech 2 piece rotors! Are those the ones that are on the ACR?

YES, that is a good shot of StopTech slotted 2pc, SIMILIAR to ACR.... ACR hat is much lighter-'natural' color..these are black. 100% the same metalurgy and rotors, only the FINISH is different....and the price is a lot lower! We also got Mike his tires at a good price.

Hate to be losing a great customer to the Viper World for a while, but MikeR's informative posts live on.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They were... but he had a garage sale and said "EVERYTHING MUST GO" That was including all his viper parts AND his VIPER!!!
:rolaugh:

yep... that is right... he is riding on 2 wheeled rice burners again!!! He missed the wind in his hair and the tight pants that he can wear with all his "buddies"

:lmao::lmao:

Why you postin a pic of you at last years halloween parade??? :dunno:

Actiually since my bike is a Ducati, its Italian, so it doesnt equate to rice. :*****:

And its faster then your Viper . :nana:

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why you postin a pic of you at last years halloween parade??? :dunno:

Actiually since my bike is a Ducati, its Italian, so it doesnt equate to rice. :*****:

And its faster then your Viper . :nana:

HAHAHA

True that... It must be an eco friendly, alternative burning one....It must run on Olive Oil then...
:D

But while im doing this,:drive:, I can be :nana:one of these,:flirt:. And sooner or later I will be :spank:when my plans are done:firedev:. But in the end, we will always be:bdh: but I still will always be :famous:, no matter what!!

:D

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES, that is a good shot of StopTech slotted 2pc, SIMILIAR to ACR.... ACR hat is much lighter-'natural' color..these are black. 100% the same metalurgy and rotors, only the FINISH is different....and the price is a lot lower! We also got Mike his tires at a good price.

Hate to be losing a great customer to the Viper World for a while, but MikeR's informative posts live on.......

Ya, He had nothing but great things to say about doing business with you Jon!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang