Gen 4 cat back questions

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, what is a fair price for my gen 4 factorycat-back. I know it fits on a gen3 eliminating the cross over system, about 40or so pounds of pipe, helping greatly with the cabin heat issue. There probablyis some horsepower gain also, right? Got about 3000 miles on it. Will post in classifieds soon as I figure allthis out..:drive:

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a takeoff gen 4 catback with delivery miles for $250 shipped from Nebraska to CT

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

The 08-10 side exhaust systems sell for $400-$600 typically. They offer less heat; better sound and a 5-peak hp gain on the 03-06 models.

There are numerous options for a cat back system. The Gen 4 (08-10) model differs from the Gen 3 and many Viper owners do not understand the difference. The Generation 3 Viper (03-06) came with a "crossover" exhaust system. This exhaust exit system had pipes that crossed over under the car from right to left. The left side exhaust exited out the right and the right exited out the left. The system also included an "H" pipe the connected both sides together. This "H" pipe system smoothed out the pulses of the engine and helped scavenge the exhaust pulse at higher rpm. The system was necessary to reduce noise emissions and allowed the car to pass noise regulations for new cars. The system had some drawbacks, primarily heat. The exhaust system on the Viper is encapsulated in the bodywork of the car, with very little airflow over the exhaust, the heat from the exhaust system (primarily the catalytic converters) was transferred into the cockpit of the car, the crossover system allowed the heat from the exhaust to surround the occupants, making for a toasty ride.

In 2008, the Generation 4 Viper excluded the crossover exhaust system. The new VVT camshaft softened the low rpm exhaust pulses, with less exhaust duration the engine became quieter and did not need the crossover to pass exhaust requirements. This freed up some power and reduced heat in the exhaust system.

An interesting fact we learned on the Gen 4’s is the earlier 03-06-crossover system with headers and high flow cats will make much more torque than the standard side exhaust or aftermarket exhaust. The "H Pipe" allows the VVT to work better at upper rpm and provide much better midrange torque out of the corners.

My 2 cents.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to keep the car I'd say ditch the stuff for whatever you can get out of it. If you ever plan on selling the car id suggest keeping it. If you ever want to sell to CA they will need all that junk on there to pass emissions/smog. I'd assume other states are same as well. This is the reason I kept all my stock stuff although I had no intentions of selling my car anytime soon you never know when a opportunity may arise.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to keep the car I'd say ditch the stuff for whatever you can get out of it. If you ever plan on selling the car id suggest keeping it. If you ever want to sell to CA they will need all that junk on there to pass emissions/smog. I'd assume other states are same as well. This is the reason I kept all my stock stuff although I had no intentions of selling my car anytime soon you never know when a opportunity may arise.
This makes a lot of sense. I know when I sold/traded my 04 with 2 sets tires/wheels hardtop, etc etc I got nothing for over 10k in upgrades. BTW Timnineside I just was telling a friend about your car.. It will sell soon.