Gen 4 Header Loudness

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2002 GTS FE I had Belanger Headers, R/T Cats, and a Corsa Cat Back.

WILL the exhaust sound be "similar" on a Gen 4 with the same set-up? (loudness)

Do the sidepipes make that big of a difference? (loudness)

Thanks, Dave

God Bless!

2002 GTS FE #338 (SOLD)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rear Exhaust = Quieter by far.

The Sidepipe outlets are only 26" or so from SRT-10 occupant ears. On 96-02 Rear Exhaust they are 10 FEET away, and have travelled thru bends and turns of pipe, and maybe more resonators = muffling. Less 'sound pressure' on your eardrums.

The TONE will be the same, [if you maintain the same metallurgy,] but the decibels are louder at the outlets.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '99 GTS had M&M headers and my home built 3" exhaust with straight through mufflers and no cats.

My '09 has M&M headers and my home built 3" exhaust using the same mufflers and no cats.

GTS had a much louder raspier exhaust note than my '09 but was much quieter on the inside. '09 exhaust note sounds more muffled even though it's using the same mufflers. :dunno:

OP
OP

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear Exhaust = Quieter by far.

The Sidepipe outlets are only 26" or so from SRT-10 occupant ears. On 96-02 Rear Exhaust they are 10 FEET away, and have travelled thru bends and turns of pipe, and maybe more resonators = muffling. Less 'sound pressure' on your eardrums.

The TONE will be the same, [if you maintain the same metallurgy,] but the decibels are louder at the outlets.

JonB, WOW GREAT feedback! just what I was looking for!
Thanks Buddy! :2tu:

Best, Dave

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The VVT on the new model Viper makes it quieter, thats why they were able to remove the crossover. Less exhaust duration makes less noise at lower rpm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery