GEN II - Installing Billet Steering Rack Bushings

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing Billet Steering Rack Bushings on a GEN II

Parts:
  • Billet Steering Rack Bushings (I got mine from IPSCO. The website states that they will work for 1992-2009 vipers.)
You must be registered for see images

Tools:
  • Ratchet (3/8” or 1/2”)
  • Ratchet extension (12”-14”)
  • 15/16” or 24mm socket
  • Torque wrench (capable of 150 ft.lbs.)
  • Pliers (flat-nose or channellock)
  • Slotted screwdriver

Remove the Air Cleaner Assembly.

1. Remove the 3 fasteners (air cleaner screws) that mount the Air Cleaner Assembly (2 on the air inlet housing to the radiator support, 1 on the air outlet housing to the cross car beam).
  2. Remove the Crank Case Vent (CCV) hose from the air outlet housing.
  3. Remove the Idle Air Control (IAC) hose from the air outlet housing with the pliers.
  4. Disconnect the intake air temperature sensor electrical connector from the air outlet housing.
  5. Remove the hose clamps from the air cleaner tubes at the throttle bodies with a slotted screwdriver.
  6. Remove the complete Air Cleaner Assembly.
Replace the Power Steering Rack (PSR) bushings.

1. Remove the Power Steering Rack (PSR) mounting bolts (2) with a 15/16” (or 24mm) socket using a 12”-14” extension.
  2. Keep track of the shims for each PSR mounting bolt as they will be used when installing the new PSR billet bushings. The shims are located between the frame and the lower washer.
  3. Also keep track of the upper and lower washers as they will also be used when installing the new PSR billet bushings.
The rest of these instructions are easier performed from under the viper.
Raise the viper via a lift or jack and jack stands.

Remove the stock PSR bushings.

1. Lift the PSR off the frame.
  2. Remove the stock upper and lower PSR bushings from each side by prying the edges from the PSR bushing housings.
  3. The passenger side stock PSR bushings have O-rings at each end. Keep track of these O-rings as they will be used when installing the new billet PSR bushings.
Install the billet PSR bushings.

1. Install the new upper and lower billet PSR bushings, upper and lower washers, shims, O-rings (passenger side only) and PSR mounting bolts.
  2. Position the PSR back onto the frame. Thread the driver side mounting bolt first. The passenger side frame has a slot that provides that side more room for lateral movement while positioning the PSR.
  3. Torque the PSR mounting bolts to 150 ft.lbs.
Install the Air Cleaner Assembly.

1. Position the air cleaner housing in place and line up the 3 fastener holes (2 to the radiator support, 1 to the cross car beam).
  2. Connect the air cleaner tubes at the throttle bodies.
  3. Install the 3 fasteners (air cleaner screws) that mount the Air Cleaner Assembly (2 on the air inlet housing to the radiator support, 1 on the air outlet housing to the cross car beam).
  4. Tighten the hose clamps to the air cleaner tubes at the throttle bodies with a slotted screwdriver.
  5. Tighten the 3 fasteners (air cleaner screws) that mount the air cleaner housing.
  6. Connect the intake air temperature sensor electrical connector to the air outlet housing.
  7. Connect the IAC hose to the air outlet housing with the pliers.
  8. Connect the CCV hose to the air outlet housing.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this conversion? Please describe your use. How does it compare to the factory bushings for the use previously listed?

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in how they affect the steering box. Rubber mounts not only dampen the feel the driver gets, but also the impact of the road feedback on the steering box rack to pinion gear interface, and the pinion gear shaft bearings.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I may have had a couple of beers last night that were fogging my memory. My OE bushings look exactly like yours....sorry for the alcohol induced previous post. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456