Gen IV ACR add-ons

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was trying to flush out a response in the Belanger/PCM thread and I guess it got lost in a convoluted discussion. Question: has anyone installed the below pictured Arrow Racing Engine close-out panel??? other than deflecting hot air away from the air intake is there any real HP increase benefits? I was looking for before/after dyno results on Arrow's website to no avail....any opinions before I order...??

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Art,

Cooler running, HP gains would not show on a stationary dyno chart speed would be your friend with this. I have one coming for these reasons and the fact that it's just one more cool thing to go with the carbon coil covers! :headbang:

Was trying to flush out a response in the Belanger/PCM thread and I guess it got lost in a convoluted discussion. Question: has anyone installed the below pictured Arrow Racing Engine close-out panel??? other than deflecting hot air away from the air intake is there any real HP increase benefits? I was looking for before/after dyno results on Arrow's website to no avail....any opinions before I order...??

You must be registered for see images

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Art,

Yes, I installed this item six months or so ago and referred to it in the other thread. If you track your Gen IV, it will help the engine run cooler.

You will likely notice your engine running cooler just running down the Freeway as it keeps the air flowing through the radiator.

No way to measure hp gains, but my SOTP dyno says it helps. Intake air temps would go down and power should come up a bit.

Also, you may want to remove the small air / rain deflector in the center hood scoop.

Dan

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a nice looking piece if nothing else. As long as it doesn't start a Vipair thread, I think i will go for it.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about using a 170 T-stat also to keep things cooler than the stock 185 deg. Some said not to use it but I cant understand the reasoning behind this as I've always ran a cooler T-stat in all my other cars with good results.
Any toughts on this? with or without the Mopar PCM ?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
At least 3 SRT engineers with G4s use it...............

The stock PCM is tuned for the hotter T-stat....

Last edited:

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
How about using a 170 T-stat also to keep things cooler than the stock 185 deg. Some said not to use it but I cant understand the reasoning behind this as I've always ran a cooler T-stat in all my other cars with good results.
Any toughts on this? with or without the Mopar PCM ?

Silver,

I run the 170 T-stat in my ACR along with the close out panel and a spring in the upper radiator hose. This combination really helps keep the engine cooler on the track. I also run the Mopar Race controller on the track. Track temps run about 205 coolant, 215 oil on warm days 85 - 95 F, pressing on it. It can run a bit warmer on slower tracks.

I've run into only one issue. On the street, even here in So Cal, on a cold night or cold morning, say 40 F or so, an extended run on the Freeway in 6th gear will lower the engine coolant temp to 155 - 160 ish. This can cause a check engine light and put the engine into limp mode. I simply stop, turn the engine off, restart the engine and the limp mode goes away - check engine light stays on.

If you go with a 170 T stat, you many want to run in 5th gear or run the A/C or both during cooler days to avoid this issue.

Dan

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dan
I have the 170 stat, know where to get the close out panel from Arrow racing, but who sells the upper hose spring ?
Also, on cold days, do you get the check engine light when using the stock PCM only or even with the Mopar Controller.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
NAPA on the hose spring. You may have to buy the hose too!

OE PCM and Mopar Controller both throw the code PO 116 CKT Range / Perf when the engine temp stays too low for too long.

Mark with Woodhouse may be able to help with this.

Dan