GEN V at the Detroit Auto Show?

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I havent seen this mentioned yet. The new GEN V is supposed to be a 2013 model, out in 2012. Does this mean that we will be seeing the new car at the Detroit Auto Show in January?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my thought exactly! I's 95% sure that I'm going to this show :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The "Imported From Detroit" is CHRYSLER, and specifically NOT Dodge. Dodge does NOT use that slogan!
[I had that Imported From Detroit "FIST" logo on my SRT-8 Pace Car at a Dodge event, and it was politely and kindly suggested that I should perhaps remove the decal if I wanted to be PC. I did.]

Think Spring, Not Winter .

Last edited:

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge has been playing everything close to the chest with the SRTs, and most model years aren't unveiled until around August-September of the previous year.

I would expect to see a 2013 Viper in late summer 2012, but I would be very surprised to see it as soon as January 2012.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before Dodge released the ACR they had one on display at the Detroit Show in January. They labled it a prototype, but it soon became the production car.

Before Dodge released the 08 Coupe they showed it at a VOI. They took the cover off the mystery Viper up on stage, and saw While it got rave reviews, they heard some requests that it be made a bit more aggressive, and they made some pretty cool changes before releasing it in final form.

For the Gen V Dodge unveiled a styling buck with pretty well finished exterior trim to the VCA members that attended the Utah VOI. They had it in a special room, with cameras forbidden. This was done a few years before the planned introduction, but solicited feedback from the attendees. They even had some interior designs for people to give comments on. I am sure they have taken these comments back to engineering and design, and are working towards a final product.

Hard to tell what Dodge would do this time, but I expect that as they get closer to having a finished product they may desire to get some additional input from the ViperNation before they put on the final coat of wax.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph stated at the Narra event in VIR this year that if all goes well we will see it at a venue hopefully in the first quarter of 2012. I originally thought Detroit and unfortunately remembered it that way. I just edited this post to read what was said not my hope :). Not sure if things are going right but I bet it's there!

Hope to see it soon either way!

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way, Dodge has a problem with people's perception of the Viper.
I was watching The Car Show, with Adam Carrolla, last night and they did their "0-60" segment where they comment on various topics and one was the Gen V Viper. They were'nt all 100% aware that it was definitely going to be built (the Gen V). Then they all kind of "poo-pooed" the Viper, it's performance, and it's low sales numbers (which I kind of like).
Additionally, Autoweek TV, which web casts daily news programs, has not even mentioned the new 'Ring record.
This tells me that "someone" is not doing a good enough job of getting the word out, to the media, about what a world class performer the car really is.
Hopefully, and I understand TV shows are filmed months in advance of the air date, someone will get the words out about the new 'Ring record and change some people's perceptions of the car we all know and love..

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way, Dodge has a problem with people's perception of the Viper.......This tells me that "someone" is not doing a good enough job of getting the word out, to the media, about what a world class performer the car really is.
Hopefully, and I understand TV shows are filmed months in advance of the air date, someone will get the words out about the new 'Ring record and change some people's perceptions of the car we all know and love..

yeah, if dodge is not careful (and try to be too "cute" about releasing info) they could make the same mistake infinity made.....remember the infinity car commercials w/o pics of the car :omg: :lmao: :nono:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have faith in SRT and am pretty sure we will see an official notice of the Trip to Nurburgring done in a manner they have done their other announcements. So far only the leaked information is out, which is not how the group prefer to let the media know and it is not fair to criticize media who have not jumped on the bandwagon with unnofficial time announcements. Remember alot of the car's times have been negated by lack of full documentaion, and therefore in many folks minds the 08 ACR time was the only one that was believable for quite a long time. I think we will see a very strong statement from Dodge/SRT , but it will be done so things are bulletproof, IMHO.

I would anticipate that what Ralph initially said will be close to accurate, but if there are any delays , with no set schedule it gives them room for adjustment. Likely the best statement is we will see it in 2012.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Slithr.............................I applaud your thought process and to some degree, Ralph and crew have kept the Viper in the press with racing and other venues, but the new beast has been hidden in the haze. This keeps the excitement up, but more importantly it keeps your competitors in the dark. We have to all remember how even the press came out with statements about how the Gen III looked somewhat like the Corvette, completely ignoring the actual fact that the Viper came out first , so it was the Corvette that in essence looked like the Viper to a degree.

With the new car, I think they want to shock and awe the World and there will be no time for competitors to copy the lines. I sincerely believe your idea has alot of merit and why not let GM leak their stuff way too early, as usual, and let Dodge strike with venomous force across the automotive landscape with a new Viper that redefines the American Supercar ------------------- alot of us have faith in a car that we know will have all the loving touches and passion of Mr. Gilles. This will be his tour de force and though a love affair, it shall further exemplify his style as the Head of Design for Chrysler . His legacy is secure with the Chrysler 300 and the new 2011/2012 interiors, but many believe this is what he wants to be the defining moment of his already illustrious career.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be his tour de force and though a love affair, it shall further exemplify his style as the Head of Design for Chrysler . His legacy is secure with the Chrysler 300 and the new 2011/2012 interiors, but many believe this is what he wants to be the defining moment of his already illustrious career.

Totally agree with you Bill!!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think this is in the top two questions that our friends at SRT get these days. SRT has not made their schedule on this public yet so the VCA cannot comment or hint on when it will be at this time. They will let the VCA know when they are ok with the club releasing that information and you will have good advance notice to make travel arrangements to be there. And what a celebration it will be. That is an event we all look forward to!

But, releasing that information or even hinting at it prior to them giving the "ok" would betray the trust they have with us and that trust is of the highest priority.

The speculation on when and what is kind of fun, though, as it reflects the enthusiasm for the "new car".

Exciting times ahead. Thx SRT!

Ok, so I havent seen this mentioned yet. The new GEN V is supposed to be a 2013 model, out in 2012. Does this mean that we will be seeing the new car at the Detroit Auto Show in January?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I would not be surprised to see the official unveiling during a branding commercial during the superbowl. The timing seems right, it would get a huge audience, and they did a lot of branding advertisements last year during the superbowl. Just sayin'

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I would not be surprised to see the official unveiling during a branding commercial during the superbowl. The timing seems right, it would get a huge audience, and they did a lot of branding advertisements last year during the superbowl. Just sayin'

I don't think the new Viper needs to be "hyped" up with any commericals. I think the car will speak for itself whenever it gets introduced. Viper's don't need advertisements :)

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think the new Viper needs to be "hyped" up with any commericals. I think the car will speak for itself whenever it gets introduced. Viper's don't need advertisements :)

No, they don't, but Chrysler does. I imagine that it would be a branding commercial. There have been plenty of vipers in commercials for dodge and they were not made to sell vipers. It isn't economically viable to advertise a viper really. It is to sell the image of the brand. That is the entire purpose of a halo car. Car for car, vipers have been a horrible investment for chrysler, but a quite good one for brand image, which sells a lot of other cars.

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From the book of Viper, Red Letter edition:

"And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great serpent, with aggressive styling increased a thousand thousand fold. The serpent gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Corvette cowered in awe.

...It would be handy if something similar came up when users type 'about:viper' into the Gen V diagnostic computer :)