Grundy Insurance...thoughts...comments...problems

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had Grundy insurance for over four years now.

To get it I had to have full view pictures of the vehicles, a copy of the regular insurance on my wife's car and my truck to show that each of the licensed drivers residing there had dd cars.

Then I filled out the application which identified the type of structure the vehicles would be garaged in. It included the type of locks, fire suppression and type of construction.

All this goes with a signed agreement on how the vehicle will be used. No going the the strip or track. No errands. But going on vacations, going to car shows out of town. Going to restaurants is okay.

For me the limitation are okay. They have not been an issue.

The most savings come from the liability coverage. It is only one fee and it covers all the cars. I have the Viper and three Corvettes. The annual liab. fee is $30 period.

The coverage of 100K lib. no deductable comp and collision and agreed on value.

All four cars cost me under $1,400/year.

I have always had good service. You do get a human when you call in for changes or questions.

It does take about a week to get hooked up the first time. After that just a phone call gets a car dropped or added. But, you must follow up with pictures when a new car is added.

Grundy does not have any limitations on annual mileage.

This is the information about Grundy I was looking for when I posted. Thanks for the detailed information.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used Grundy for years on numerous cars and I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and their prices are great compared to the others. And if you ever have questions, etc. they are very helpful.

In January 2007 I wrecked my 2006 Viper that I had insured with Grundy and I had an agreed to value policy for $65k - they paid it in full along with medical expenses, towing, etc., and I was able to negotiate a buy-back from them and re-sell it to a VCA member would rebuilt the car.

So needless to say, I highly recommend them and don't worry about driving the car as you like - if you have another daily driver you are ok.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Grundy insurance for over four years now.

To get it I had to have full view pictures of the vehicles, a copy of the regular insurance on my wife's car and my truck to show that each of the licensed drivers residing there had dd cars.

Then I filled out the application which identified the type of structure the vehicles would be garaged in. It included the type of locks, fire suppression and type of construction.

All this goes with a signed agreement on how the vehicle will be used. No going the the strip or track. No errands. But going on vacations, going to car shows out of town. Going to restaurants is okay.

For me the limitation are okay. They have not been an issue.

The most savings come from the liability coverage. It is only one fee and it covers all the cars. I have the Viper and three Corvettes. The annual liab. fee is $30 period.

The coverage of 100K lib. no deductable comp and collision and agreed on value.

All four cars cost me under $1,400/year.

I have always had good service. You do get a human when you call in for changes or questions.

It does take about a week to get hooked up the first time. After that just a phone call gets a car dropped or added. But, you must follow up with pictures when a new car is added.

Grundy does not have any limitations on annual mileage.

To add on to what he said Grundy easy to talk to. Before I signed up I asked them lots and lots of questions and asked to see the actual policy. When I do go to the track, I use track insurance from Steve Katz (ACR Steve). In the end, the policy fits my usage but may not fit yours. Do what works for you.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've used Grundy for years on numerous cars and I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and their prices are great compared to the others. And if you ever have questions, etc. they are very helpful.

In January 2007 I wrecked my 2006 Viper that I had insured with Grundy and I had an agreed to value policy for $65k - they paid it in full along with medical expenses, towing, etc., and I was able to negotiate a buy-back from them and re-sell it to a VCA member would rebuilt the car.

So needless to say, I highly recommend them and don't worry about driving the car as you like - if you have another daily driver you are ok.

You guys are great with your information. I was just over at Leyland West's web site and they state you can't do store errands, commutting or daily driving on the "Am I Eligable" page. Interesting since they have a option for using vehicle for occasional commuting which adds about $400 a year to policy.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the plug guys.

I actually have clients that I insure all over the country through Grundy and some of the other programs mentioned . All the companies have pluses and minuses as discussed. The great thing about the policies is that they are true Agreed value policies at very low rates.

The mileage issues aren't as much a factor (Grundy has no mileage limit but will look to make sure its not your commuter car) and the companies will now except new cars. You can certanly drive out to VOI and have full coverage (Grundy even includes trip interruption coverage )

Some of the Insurance companies that I represent serving higher net worth clients such as Chartis(old AIG Private Client Services and Chubb offer there own programs)

I always suggest you go through an independent agent who can guide you to the best company for your individual needs. An agent looks at your whole insurance portfolio and can avoid gaps and recommend coverages that may be missed without there guidance. (Plus you do not pay any extra for there PROFESIONAL guidence)

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about Grundy but I am an agent for State Farm and we have many Vipers insured, and regretfully have had many wind up at the salvage yards across the country. We pay retail book value based on condition at the time of the loss, which is 99% of the time more than you can sell the car for on your own.....State Farm has rating for "pleasure use" vehicles that would apply to most all Viper owners.

You often get what you pay for. I am happily with State Farm. I would not even think of the Grundy insurance with the conspicuous and express exclusions you stated--you may have to consider committing fraud to obtain coverage in a claim--never a good thing. My BMW is more to insure with State Farm than the Viper since the BMW is my primary vehicle. With multi-car, multi-policy and repeat business, and other discounts, State Farm is very competitive and a quality company. And NO, I am not affiliated with State Farm in any way other than as an insured.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the National Corvette Museum Insurance a call, they insure more than corvettes are are very reasonable. They even have a drive to work waiver you can get. Tell Adam Boca I sent you.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the plug guys.

I actually have clients that I insure all over the country through Grundy and some of the other programs mentioned . All the companies have pluses and minuses as discussed. The great thing about the policies is that they are true Agreed value policies at very low rates.

The mileage issues aren't as much a factor (Grundy has no mileage limit but will look to make sure its not your commuter car) and the companies will now except new cars. You can certanly drive out to VOI and have full coverage (Grundy even includes trip interruption coverage )

Some of the Insurance companies that I represent serving higher net worth clients such as Chartis(old AIG Private Client Services and Chubb offer there own programs)

I always suggest you go through an independent agent who can guide you to the best company for your individual needs. An agent looks at your whole insurance portfolio and can avoid gaps and recommend coverages that may be missed without there guidance. (Plus you do not pay any extra for there PROFESIONAL guidence)

So can I assume you are an independant agent/broker? I would be interested in chatting with you if so.

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Though NCM & Adam Boca were not able to insure my cars (they don't cover Hawaii), the interaction I had with him were very encouraging. Their prices are very attractive and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I did consider applying with Grundy, but the exclusions were a big concern for me. Agreed value policies are the ideal way to go if you have a DD IMO.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Though NCM & Adam Boca were not able to insure my cars (they don't cover Hawaii), the interaction I had with him were very encouraging. Their prices are very attractive and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I did consider applying with Grundy, but the exclusions were a big concern for me. Agreed value policies are the ideal way to go if you have a DD IMO.

Thanks for this info....I got a quote for $486 a year. Can you share any stories that you may of heard of them other than your personal conversation with Adam?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have my Viper under Hagerty.

Took a long time to setup the policy as I had to provide the items listed previously, such as other vehicles, mileage, etc. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread that Hagerty enforced, is the storage of the car at an address other than your residence. We have a shop and it is where I keep my car, but they wanted pictures and paperwork.

My record was clean until last October when I was stopped at a traffic light in my V and a 17year old drove through the back of my car. $30k in damage and Hagerty paid it immediately, even after her insurance couldn't cover it.

Im sure my rates will go out the roof, but they took care of me, first class.

Nothing's for free in this world. That $30k is gonna come outta my hide and/or her hide. Pennsatucky is a no-fault state, so Im ready for a whoopin.

I agree in not commuting in a Viper. You are putting your car in congested traffic, and greater risk. Doesn't matter how well you drive, some idiot (17yr old girl) can run into you.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I got out my Grundy policy and here are parts of what it says:

Acknowledgment of use....Vehicle will be used for hobby purposes and exhibition and will not be used primarily for general transportation.

Auto usage endorsement...It is maintained for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities or other functions of public interest.
It is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands etc. etc except for limited pleasure use :2tu:

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, I got out my Grundy policy and here are parts of what it says:

Acknowledgment of use....Vehicle will be used for hobby purposes and exhibition and will not be used primarily for general transportation.

Auto usage endorsement...It is maintained for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities or other functions of public interest.
It is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands etc. etc except for limited pleasure use :2tu:

Hmmm interesting. I'm going to start calling some places next week and see if I can't work out the kinks. I like the pricing so far from Grundy and the National Corvette Museum Insurance. I do have a DD but I also do like to drive my Viper maybe once a month to work like on a sunny Friday and take the back roads home. I also occasionaly drive it to the store for errands so I'm not looking to have to deal with insurance fraud by not getting this clarifeied first. My insurance now doesn't run out until the end of the month so I'm going to wait until then to switch. Thanks for all the ideas and information everyone!!

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR steve - I have a question for you. I had the $1 million unbrella liability policy through Country Companies which I use for my regular car and truck. Recently they changed to only offering the umbrella policy if we carried a half million on the base policy for all my cars, motorcycles and trucks.

Do you offer umbrella policies like that?

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we can get stand alone umbrellas although they are usually more expensive then if you purchased them through your primary auto company ( except Chubb ,AIG/Chartis through home)

The question I ask is if you have multi cars,trucks and other toys and live in a house why would you not want to have $500,000 primary liability ? Some companies only require $300,000 underlying under the umbrella however sometimes there umbrella is priced a little more .

Remember that you also want your uninsured and under insured limits the same as your primary limits. This coverage protects YOU should you be hit by someone with no coverage or lower limits then you. This is very important coverage and to many times I see the 1-800 Insurance company employee recommending to decrease this coverage to save a couple of dollars. That is a very bad decision especially in this economy with so many drivers at state min coverages and/or no coverage.

IH4x4- other words I recommend you either go with the 500,000 primary limits to get the umbrella or find another company but you should have an umbrella

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, when I totalled the Viper that was insured with Grundy, NO ONE I dealt with at Grundy ever asked where I was going to/from, etc. - they have to put some caveats in their policies to cover their butts so people know they are not allowed to use it as a daily driver! Besides, if you took the car to work and did have a problem I think that even if they got picky you'd be ok based on what HyperViper posted above in regards to what the Grundy policy states:

"Acknowledgment of use....Vehicle will be used for hobby purposes and exhibition and will not be used primarily for general transportation.

Auto usage endorsement...It is maintained for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities or other functions of public interest. It is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands etc. etc except for limited pleasure use."

Seems quite vague to me.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about Leland West. That's who I use. Agreed value on the car including mods. Last year I insured my S/C 06 and the mods were covered. Not good if you put high mileage on the car though. My mileage limit is 5000 per year. If you are going to go over that, you can call them and they will work with you. My new car is through them also, and I can drive where I want, when I want. Cost me $900 a year. Just a thought.

I had an agreed value policy with them and had a total loss. They took care of the loss without any issue. Lots of questions and delays but they took care of me.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Grundy insure both my Vipers for some four years now. If you are a weekend user like myself then IMO it's a perfect fit. I never use the cars for errands and frankly never even drive them during the week. I think a lot of Viper owners are like me so why not take advantage of a HUGE savings Grundy offers. I had Allstate and they wanted over $1200 a year EACH for my cars, and I have a perfect driving record no speeding tickets or accidents EVER. They also would not issue and agreed value policy. Thanks, but I don't want a check for 28K book value. What am I going to buy with that.

With Grundy I pay under $1500 a year for BOTH and have an agreed value of 60K on one and 50K on the other. Although I have never made a claim (other than a windshield) they are very easy to deal with and I haven't heard any bad things about them challenging legitimate claims.

So if you are basically a weekender like me I think it's a good choice. If you think you will now and then have to bend their rules, well you should probably look elsewhere.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are making me depressed. I pay ~$2,700/year on the Viper alone, and I'm getting multi-car discount with my Lexus, same insurer as the house (Nationwide). I guess being 27 and using it as a DD doesn't help anything.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad to see posts on this topic. I just bought a Viper and already owned a 2005 Magnum RT. I don't drive either one much but I do like to go to car club meetings and pleasure drives. Insurance on both cars from Grundy was $900 per year for stated value. That is about half of what the two cars cost from State Farm. I have had great service from State Farm but paying for 5 cars and a motorcycle will break you and you can't drive all of them at once.

I am almost ready to sign on with Grundy for the agreed on value. Like some of the rest of you, money not spent on insurance goes for gas. If someone has had a bad experience with specialty companies, I would like to know too!

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JoelW - A good company to save money on motorcycle insurance is Markel Insurance. I have 4 bikes with them for the past five years and they were great to deal with.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way you can purchase a Grundy product through an Independent Agent who can properly advice you so there are no gaps in you coverages and it doesn't cost you anymore.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way you can purchase a Grundy product through an Independent Agent who can properly advice you so there are no gaps in you coverages and it doesn't cost you anymore.

I will contact you possibly next week. My cuurent insurance runs through the end of the month so I have a little time to figure things out.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does Grundy cover "Cruising"....that is, just driving up and down the road so people can stare at your car? I cruise often....I drive around with no place to go. Is that covered?

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Grundy cover "Cruising"....that is, just driving up and down the road so people can stare at your car? I cruise often....I drive around with no place to go. Is that covered?

no because that's wasting gas and viewed as immature :lmao:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Does Grundy cover "Cruising"....that is, just driving up and down the road so people can stare at your car? I cruise often....I drive around with no place to go. Is that covered?"

Yes only if the car is clean as you are aware cruising in a dirty vehicle is generally frowned upon by insurance carries and by the way fussy dice will instantly void the coverage :)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for this info....I got a quote for $486 a year. Can you share any stories that you may of heard of them other than your personal conversation with Adam?

All: I was asked by Adam Boca to respond to this thread. If your getting quoted through the NCM (National Corvette Museum) website, you MUST click "exotic" in the check box when quoting a Viper. If not, the rate will not be accurate. This is easy to miss.. But in summary, if your quote seems too low. It will change when you go to actually bind or purchse coverage. I'm an agent myself, and many of these rating sites are ultra sensitive. But they are definately worth a shot. And very competitive. thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery