GTS Gas Cap

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those MGW gas caps sure do look nice but are there any better alternatives to taking that $400 hit ?

What's a good price for Chroming ?

Any other aftermarket caps worth looking at ?

Mine doesn't look bad but I've seen the MGW and it does make a big difference...

Viper GTS Gascap

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looked mine but it came on the car. My new one doesnt have this and mostly likely will folk out the 400 for one.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the MGW looks cheap and tacky IMO.

The OEM cap looks more like somehting you would see on a racecar. very nice and functional looking with the latch that makes a cool latching sound when you slam it shut at a gas station and everyone that is already looking at the viper says: "cool":eyecrazy:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actualy one of my buddies who stopped by yesterday...not all that car savy... He says... What's this on the side here... looks like something off of a spaceship...lol

the MGW looks cheap and tacky IMO.

The OEM cap looks more like somehting you would see on a racecar. very nice and functional looking with the latch that makes a cool latching sound when you slam it shut at a gas station and everyone that is already looking at the viper says: "cool":eyecrazy:

You must be registered for see images attach

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife thinks the stock cap looks ugly = green light for MGW cap. To each his own, but I like the MGW cap - as soon as I saw one I had to have one for my GTS.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the looks of the MGW, plus it allows me to preserve the OEM cap.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few Years ago I did an exchange for a chrome oem cap with R&J Distributing. What a Difference. I didn't care for the MGW cap. So I went this route.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any chimp can open the OE cap on first look.....The MGW-Cap is more tamper-proof. Not intuitive on how to open it...... gotta think twice......

and the MGW cap is aero-flush !!!

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chimp can open the OE cap on first look.....The MGW-Cap is more tamper-proof. Not intuitive on how to open it...... gotta think twice......

and the MGW cap is aero-flush !!!

Solution: Locking gas cap for under $15. I think I'm with the minority here, but I prefer the purpose built look of the stocker. I just lightly polished mine to a slightly better finish. Not full polish by any means, but it looks good.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw Plumcrazy's fully polished stock cap today and I may look into doing that... It looked almost chrome...

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting a vent on mine. No snake, just a vent.

:rolaugh:

Mine is oxidized to hell and back. I need to take mine off and polish it or have it chromed. Anyone have any idea how to get the cap assembly back on? I've searched the forums and have come up empty, unless I buy the MGW cap that comes with "the special tool" to reinstall the cap assembly. I prefer to stick with the stocker. I have the service manual and it just says to remove the cap assembly and then reinstall it. I guess it should be obvious, but I'd hate to remove mine and then be unable to get the sucker back on. I remember people posting about it being nearly impossible to get the assembly back onto the neck of the filler hose unless you have a tool. :( Anyone? Bueller?

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread motivated me to get mine installed. Straight forward install... MGW included the tool and some Zaino tire shine to get the fuel filler tube throught the rubber donut. It was harder to remove vs. putting it back on.

Before:

After - 3D Machined Sneaky Pete Logo:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine is oxidized to hell and back. I need to take mine off and polish it or have it chromed. Anyone have any idea how to get the cap assembly back on? I've searched the forums and have come up empty, unless I buy the MGW cap that comes with "the special tool" to reinstall the cap assembly. I prefer to stick with the stocker. I have the service manual and it just says to remove the cap assembly and then reinstall it. I guess it should be obvious, but I'd hate to remove mine and then be unable to get the sucker back on. I remember people posting about it being nearly impossible to get the assembly back onto the neck of the filler hose unless you have a tool. :( Anyone? Bueller?

I have the tool that I can ship to you along with the MGW instructions. They included an alan wrench and the zaino tire shine to lubricate the rubber donut. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

I just ask that you pay for shipping and send it back when you are finished with it.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone have any idea how to get the cap assembly back on? I've searched the forums and have come up empty, unless I buy the MGW cap that comes with "the special tool" to reinstall the cap assembly. I prefer to stick with the stocker. I have the service manual and it just says to remove the cap assembly and then reinstall it. I guess it should be obvious, but I'd hate to remove mine and then be unable to get the sucker back on. I remember people posting about it being nearly impossible to get the assembly back onto the neck of the filler hose unless you have a tool. :( Anyone? Bueller?

I used a bent coat hanger to curl around the vent tube as I wiggled the cap back on the hose (the hose will move around and you won't break anything, promise).....sprayed some silicone on the cap and tube for lubrication. Just take your time to avoid scratching the paint surrounding the cap....The entire swap to a newer, like new OEM cap took me less than 15 minutes.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my car the clear coat on the gas cap was pretty clouded up, so I painted it (and a set of OEM wheels with bad clear coat that I bought) the same color as the body.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the tool that I can ship to you along with the MGW instructions. They included an alan wrench and the zaino tire shine to lubricate the rubber donut. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

I just ask that you pay for shipping and send it back when you are finished with it.

So, how about a pic of this special tool? Save on return shipping charges for the DIY folk...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235