GTS Hood price?

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey gang, just sat down with the dealer to spec out a '13. I had Gen 4 and recently sold my '13 GTR and was considering ordering a new Gen 5, but I'm having an issue. It looks like the base SRT model will get me everything I really need, but I LOVE the GTS hood. Any guesses on how much the hood will cost to buy separately (either VPA or equivalent)?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe call VPA? LOL

And yes. I am sure there will be much hood swapping going on. And with same colors, should be a bolt on. :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey gang, just sat down with the dealer to spec out a '13. I had Gen 4 and recently sold my '13 GTR and was considering ordering a new Gen 5, but I'm having an issue. It looks like the base SRT model will get me everything I really need, but I LOVE the GTS hood. Any guesses on how much the hood will cost to buy separately (either VPA or equivalent)?
You sold the GTR? Wow, what a fast machine. The OEM hood is very expensive, around 12k for previous models I believe and am sure at least that for the Gen V.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base model hood looks a lot more aggressive, so you might find a willing GenV owner to swap with theirs. Personally I don't understand why they made the GTS's hood less intimidating than the base one, but I guess it's personal taste.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the GTS-R deeper openings can be made part of the GTS hood update or as an option? It would still keep the same style but be more racer looking.:dunno:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Viper hoods will be all carbon fiber. Gotta be pricey.
As Indy says, best option will be a swap.
SRT hood is for track guys with maximum cooling. GTS is the upscale looking hood.
Noticed with the GTS hood the openings are mostly invisible from the drivers seat. Maybe that was part of the idea, to make it look a bit more classy.
Imagine that upcoming Vert and GTS-R's may have their own hoods.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you're living in la-la land. Until the Gen 3, Viper hoods have always been the most expensive piece of body work on the car - by a LOT.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. But this isn't 1992 anymore. The base price of a 2010 Coupe was 92k. The base price of a 2013 is 100k. Do you think SRT could make all the improvements they did to the 2013 with a base price increase of only 8k if the hood itself is going to sell for 10k more than the 2010? The 12k, or 15k or whatever the original Viper hood cost back then had a more difficult shape and the technology was not where we are today. If a hood and hatch on the new viper are going to cost 20 or 30k for the consumer that would be absolutely ********. (and yes, I think the CF prices on the ACR aero is ******** too) Hell, I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

When Viper switched to a regular hood in 2003 I applauded the move.

Reaction score
And the survey says....

Current list price for either style hood is $3,070.00. Check with your selling dealership to order one when you get your car! :)

SRT hood - Mopar part number 68139366AC
GTS hood - Mopar part number 68110741AC

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the survey says....

Current list price for either style hood is $3,070.00. Check with your selling dealership to order one when you get your car! :)

Wow..was expecting more.....

Wasn't expecting an outrageous number though. The new clamshell is designed to be a more economical as easier to produce design than the Gen II. Not only that, carbon fiber isn't as special as it was just 5-6 years ago. It's everywhere now.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the survey says....

Great news ! Does that mean that the complete CF hood will cost less than the Mopar CF X brace at $ 3150 ???

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the survey says....

Perfect! One more reason I want a Gen V. The cost of the hood on the Gen I and II cars put me off a bit. :drive: The fact that a gen 3 CF hood is less than an ACR splitter or wing is rather annoying however.
(To clarify, id rather see the price of the ACR aero drop than the Gen V hood increase. LOL)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the survey says....

Crazy idea- Buy hood of your choice, have Prefix paint it color of your choice, have local Harley custom shop paint mural of your choice. I could see that hanging on my wall. If I were ever to buy a high end piece of artwork, that would be what I would do.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet they will be back order for a year, or cause they were not building many cars for the last 6 months there is a pile. lol

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on another note, dont forget you have to get the vents and stuff. i would not be surprised if the cost is 4k to 5k

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks great for the Viper Nation. Evidently SRT has sourced some fantastic carbon fiber prices for our new toys.

While indeed, carbon fiber seems to be all over the place, the real stuff costs an arm and a leg.

This is indeed good news.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. That is really reasonable. I'm about 100K short of owning a new viper but maybe I could scrape enough together to get the hood. It would make a super fast sled and I bet I could get that hood up to 20MPH down a good hill!!!
:drive:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the reason the hoods are less expensive than the x-brace is simple: they are already producing 1-2000 hoods each year for production vehicles, so the development costs for that are already tied into the cost of the vehicle itself. They have no clue how many of the x-braces they will sell, and will no doubt be produced in far, far fewer numbers. This means they have to recoup the cost of developement, tooling, etc. with fewer units being sold, thus a higher price per unit.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While indeed, carbon fiber seems to be all over the place, the real stuff costs an arm and a leg.
What are you insinuating when you say "the real stuff" costs an arm and a leg? All cfrp today uses aircraft-quality carbon fibers. That's one of the contributing factors to CFRP's seemingly astronomical cost for what it is (carbon fibers and epoxies)

OP
OP
S

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! 3-4k is great! Looks like I'll definitely be going for a SRT then and worry about changing the hood later. :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you insinuating when you say "the real stuff" costs an arm and a leg? All cfrp today uses aircraft-quality carbon fibers. That's one of the contributing factors to CFRP's seemingly astronomical cost for what it is (carbon fibers and epoxies)[/QUOT

I was referring to a previous quote that while carbon fiber is all over the place, it should not be expected to be cheap, as it is still very expensive to produce, and takes highly trained people with lots of technology to back them up. Good quality real carbon fiber parts are very expensive to produce.

"Wow..was expecting more.....

Wasn't expecting an outrageous number though. The new clamshell is designed to be a more economical as easier to produce design than the Gen II. Not only that, carbon fiber isn't as special as it was just 5-6 years ago. It's everywhere now."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave