GTS Stock Cat Glowing

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I returned my Viper back to stock and am having a problem with one of the cats.

I swapped intake manifolds/injectors back to stock and also long tubes back to stock cats.

As soon as I did this and fired up the car I noticed the passenger rocker was extremely hot and starting to smoke.

Shut off the car immediately and removed the rocker. Turned the car back on and within a couple minutes of idling the cat started to glow red, only on the passenger side.

My thought was that the cat was clogged. I purchased it used and it has been sitting around for years. The car didn't have this problem before so it's either that the cat is clogged, or that something is wrong with the fuel or spark right?

I am going to check for spark and change the spark plugs, but I don't know how to check each injector. If an injector was stuck closed would this happen at idle in a couple minutes?

Thanks!

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy overheated his driver side rocker and now it has brown discoloration, because of bad O2 sensor and and plugs.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cats burn off unburned fuel and clean up emissions. It could be anything from bad plugs, bad wires, sensor to stuck open fuel injector.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to check these items and if it's not cleared up I'll cut the cats out.

Any idea what the correct size pipe I need is? Im hoping for something I can slip over or inside of existing pipe with clamps because local shops wont take cats out.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your cat is glowing and it isn't plugs or wires, cutting out the cat isn't the solution.