GTS vs. C6 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean. We only tried it a few times, and that was it..:D
LOL in 1999 i got stopped and ticketed for speeding 40 over,racing on the highway ,reckless driving and my Viper was impounded .A lot of my friends and family are cops and state troopers and to get out of tickets they issue PBA CARDS to their friends and family BUT THIS COP who wrote me could have given a *hit.NJ works ON A POINT SYSTEM (BESIDES DOLLAR FINES )thirteen points say goodbye to your license for 3 months.The cumlative total for my tickets was 17 points in one shot plus thousands in fines ,insurance surcharges ect.I had a good lawyer got almost everything thrown out but i learned the hard way.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The record for a stock GTS is not 11.5 at 121 mph..It is 11.69...Jamie ran the 11.5 at 123 mph after he removed his air intake..

With that said..Again a stock 410 rwhp GTS can run 11.9 at 120 in average weather with a good driver..

A C6Z06 can run 11.5 at 126 in average weather with a good driver..

The C6Z06 is defiently the faster vehicle but trust me another 50 rwhp on the GTS from bolt ons really evens things up quite a bit..

Their were vids of a 460 rwhp bolt on GTS and stock C6Z06 going door to door..

fadi was the C6Z06 driver in one of these vids....A 460 rwhp GTS is no joke..Plain and simple

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really then explain to me why i owned ,one of the fastest NA GTS EVER and NO driver(including Jamie ) after hundreds of runs could get it to go 10s .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really also explain to me about why the last Gen 2 with a top end package (HEADERS HEADS CAM ECT )I HAD MAG TESTED BY SMITH AND THE BOYS ONLY RAN 11.5 at 126 at ENGLISHTOWN in GREAT WEATHER.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The record for a stock GTS is not 11.5 at 121 mph..It is 11.69...Jamie ran the 11.5 at 123 mph after he removed his air intake..

With that said..Again a stock 410 rwhp GTS can run 11.9 at 120 in average weather with a good driver..

A C6Z06 can run 11.5 at 126 in average weather with a good driver..

The C6Z06 is defiently the faster vehicle but trust me another 50 rwhp on the GTS from bolt ons really evens things up quite a bit..

Their were vids of a 460 rwhp bolt on GTS and stock C6Z06 going door to door..

fadi was the C6Z06 driver in one of these vids....A 460 rwhp GTS is no joke..Plain and simple

I never took my air intake off any car and the best I have run in a GTS is 11.59 at 123, to be honest I might have taken out the air cleaners on that run but its been so long I don't remember? I don't think I did though because the car was an ACR and comes with the K@N style filters from the factory and thats what gave them the extra 10hp rating so there really is no need to pull them. I can say positively that I have made many 11.60, 11.61, 11.62 passes at 121 to 123 mph on many different track days in untouched bonestock GTS's on many different runs so 11.69 is no record. I am pretty sure my 11.59 was an untouched run also but I just can't swear to it, its been too long for me to remember. On a side note in December with just a set of drag radials on my stock ZR1 I ran 10.69 at 132 mph.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jamie Twister is too funny he thinks a Gen 2 with a few bolt on will beat a Z06 .

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jamie Twister is too funny he thinks a Gen 2 with a few bolt on will beat a Z06 .

Well Joe with bolt ons and a good driver in the GTS and a stock Z06 with an average driver I think it would be a good run until they get up top and then the Z06 is gone.
Now with the same driver in both cars the Z06 is just too strong and even with headers, exhaust, intake on the GTS the Z06 still will put 2, 3 tenths on the GTS and that many mph as well. When it comes to drag racing the GTS is the easiest Viper of all generations to drive IMO and is also my favorite Viper.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run a stock Z06 with my GTS which has no cats, Borla ex, K and N's with smooth tubes. We were dead even up to about 150 and then we would let off. Raced a few times and the same results. As others have said there is no skill in a roll on. I have also raced a stock SRT a few times and I pulled away VERy slowly but none the less still stayed ahead of him up to about 140 mph. I have also raced a few SRT's at the drag strip and beat them every time. None of us had a clue what we were doing at the drag strip but it was still neat to see an SRT behind me. I think I got lucky and got a great engine in my GTS.
:omg::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh: That is exactly why the Z was not able to pull away from you...the driver of that car had NO skills. ;):drive:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never took my air intake off any car and the best I have run in a GTS is 11.59 at 123, to be honest I might have taken out the air cleaners on that run but its been so long I don't remember? I don't think I did though because the car was an ACR and comes with the K@N style filters from the factory and thats what gave them the extra 10hp rating so there really is no need to pull them. I can say positively that I have made many 11.60, 11.61, 11.62 passes at 121 to 123 mph on many different track days in untouched bonestock GTS's on many different runs so 11.69 is no record. I am pretty sure my 11.59 was an untouched run also but I just can't swear to it, its been too long for me to remember. On a side note in December with just a set of drag radials on my stock ZR1 I ran 10.69 at 132 mph.

I was digging threw some old threads and saw were you said you ran a 11.6x at 121.x bone stock and then removed the air intake and ran the 11.59 at 123...

Pretty sure it was on this forum..Im feeling lazy and dont feel like digging it up..But knowing me I will anyways...

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never took my air intake off any car and the best I have run in a GTS is 11.59 at 123, to be honest I might have taken out the air cleaners on that run but its been so long I don't remember? I don't think I did though because the car was an ACR and comes with the K@N style filters from the factory and thats what gave them the extra 10hp rating so there really is no need to pull them. I can say positively that I have made many 11.60, 11.61, 11.62 passes at 121 to 123 mph on many different track days in untouched bonestock GTS's on many different runs so 11.69 is no record. I am pretty sure my 11.59 was an untouched run also but I just can't swear to it, its been too long for me to remember. On a side note in December with just a set of drag radials on my stock ZR1 I ran 10.69 at 132 mph.[/QUOTE]

For a factory car that is impressive. Does the Z have any more in it,...say 10.5 with DRs maybe?

I remember you posting about running the ACR as well and getting it down to 10.7 i believe and said thats all it had. Does that still hold true today now that you;ve had a little more seat time with the car or ?
Also, your doing these runs at MIR? didnt know the track had opened back up. Last time I was there was last nov when a previous gen blue z06 with DR and mods ran 9.96 and 9.94.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was digging threw some old threads and saw were you said you ran a 11.6x at 121.x bone stock and then removed the air intake and ran the 11.59 at 123...

Pretty sure it was on this forum..Im feeling lazy and dont feel like digging it up..But knowing me I will anyways...
If you read it, its probably right as I said I didn't really remember, but you meant air cleaners not different intake as I would of still had stock airbox.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man oh man took me over an hour to find it

Jamie I have no idea how many years ago you wrote this..But i found it on this site............

"Man I don't know? I always assumed the SRT didn't have the low end torque to get the car out of the hole, along with the taller tires reducing the 3.07 gearing. My 3 fastest GTS's went 11.60 at about 123mph all brand new cars with under 1000 miles and all on the factory issued tires. About a year or so ago I bought a used 10k mile ACR that was bone stock and looked brand new I took it out to the track and ran a couple of 11.8's at 121 and since the car had 10k miles I opened the air box and checked the air filters which were stock and dirty so I pulled them and went 11.59 at 123 and change on the next pass, the fastest I have ever run in a stock Viper. The last time I ran a SRT was in 2005 and I couldn't break into the 11's, low 12's was the best I could do and earlier that year Jason Heffner and I went to Englishtown for the Viper thing that coincides with the Mopar Nationals and I drove a couple other SRT's one which was Joe Houess and I couldn't break 12.3 in either car? I have never been able to make an 11 second pass in a SRT, and I have never not run an 11 something in a GTS, ever at any track I have raced one on, weather it was mine or someone elses. I personally thing the HP on the SRT was over rated and the HP on the GTS was underated, that and the characteristics of where the engines make the power on the cars, and the gearing of the cars as well. I know some guys claim to have run fast times in an SRT which I believe is possible but I have never seen, I just don't know if it can be done repeatably especially in a stock car? You make reference to my driving (thanks!) so you must know I race a lot and see and make a lot of runs to make my judgement."

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me this is the problem..Lots of people like to quote the fastest ever gen2 time as 11.59 at 123 mph.....But really you ran 11.6x at 121 plus mph..

They just never really read what you posted..

I know were only talking 11.59 vrs 11.61..But that 5 looks a LOT better than that 6...You know what im sayin

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really then explain to me why i owned ,one of the fastest NA GTS EVER and NO driver(including Jamie ) after hundreds of runs could get it to go 10s .

Simply put the C6Z06 is a better drag car than ANY viper...My 2003 srt10 Viper is only around 480-500 rwhp and I guarantee you I would lay the smack down on any stock c6Z06 in a roll race...

Could I run a 10 in my viper..ha ha ha...Thats funny..No WAY..Speed freak ran 11.5 at 122 bone stock and Dragon Rider recently ran 11.4 at 123 mph with mild bolt ons and 479 rwhp..

So I guess technically at 480-500 rwhp My car should run 11.2 at 125 at best...Still far and away from a 10.9 at 128...

But were not talking about drag raceing were the C6Z06's weight and gearing off the line will shine..Were talking about a 60-150 mph blast were the full tourque of the Viper can be laid without tire spinning and the 480-500 rwhp can shine...

When the car is already moveing then the weight is less of a factor...After the car has already launched..The gearing is less of a factor...

HUGE differance between roll raceing and drag raceing

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THEIR IS NONTHING MAGICAL ABOUT A C6Z06..I HAVE BEAT THEM IN HEADS UP DRAG RACES WITH ONLY 475 RWHP ON MY SRT10...

GTS TRAPPS 119 MPH ON AVERAGE

C6Z06 TRAPPS 125 MPH ON AVERAGE

Yes 6 mph is an ass whoopin but the gts can do so much with so little..

add smoth tubes and kn filter to that gts and the 119 turns into 121

Eliminate the cats and that 121 turns into 122

throttle body, light weight fly wheel and exhaust and that 122 turns into 123

headers and tune and that 123 turns into 125

This will put you at 455-465rwhp...

Yes in the 1/4 mile The Z06 is still the better drag car even if they mph the same..but from a roll it will be very close

Just look at the 2008 Viper vrs C6Z06..

the Viper is much faster in trapp speed at 125-128 for the C6Z06 vrs 128-131 for the 2008 Viper..

yet they still et relatively the same...c6z06 just puts it down

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Joe & Jamie.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get at our track... wish we were a little closer to sea level. I've read that you can bang the gears Jamie, so you've given me hope that I can get into the 11's as I sit....

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me this is the problem..Lots of people like to quote the fastest ever gen2 time as 11.59 at 123 mph.....But really you ran 11.6x at 121 plus mph..

They just never really read what you posted..

I know were only talking 11.59 vrs 11.61..But that 5 looks a LOT better than that 6...You know what im sayin

First off you are correct, sort of. And I really don't want to have a debate but since you are quoting lets make sure the quote is correct, and matchs the old post you have pasted above.
I did run 11.59 with the air filters out, not a different or no airbox, just with a stock airbox with no filters, just as I said earlier in the thread that I might have, I just didn't really remember but obviously I did.
But I didn't say I ran 11.6x at 121 or 11.61 at 121, I said I ran 11.60 at 123 mph in 3 different GTS's over the years as your post states and really the difference is only .01 any way you cut it, but the mph is significant to me as 123 is cooking.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply put the C6Z06 is a better drag car than ANY viper...My 2003 srt10 Viper is only around 480-500 rwhp and I guarantee you I would lay the smack down on any stock c6Z06 in a roll race...

So I guess technically at 480-500 rwhp My car should run 11.2 at 125 at best...Still far and away from a 10.9 at 128...

....Were talking about a 60-150 mph blast .....

If you plan to lay the smack down on a stock C6Z06 from 60-150, you're going to have to trap better than 125mph in the 1/4. Top end and it's a different story, due to gearing.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about gears, how much do they help? I plan on getting gears in a bolt-on GTS. How much would that increase ET/trap? What about 40-150? Anyone ever do a good comparo?

What gears do you normally swap to 3.55?

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about gears, how much do they help? I plan on getting gears in a bolt-on GTS. How much would that increase ET/trap? What about 40-150? Anyone ever do a good comparo?

What gears do you normally swap to 3.55?

Most guys go with 3.55 gears, but I don't have any numbers for ya...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL only Twister would try to debate with the guy who probably is the best drag racer in the country on stock tires.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True but we still are comparing apples to apples since the Gen 2 record of 11.55 was run on the same track (same driver )as the Z06s run OF10.9 all with the same DAS .Your pretty much on the mark with your statement regarding drivers as driver for driver the Vette is simply much faster (its a little more power,400 lbs lighter and is geared better ).Previously i mentioned my heavily modded Gen 2 that car against a bone stock GEN 2 was a GREAT RACE .(I had just about everything short of a different crank done to that motor )

Wasnt trying to have a debate with Jamie..Honestly I like you and him quite a bit and you'r good guys..

My quarrel was with the 11.55 statement when I specifically knew I read a post by Jamie saying 11.6 and only the 11.5 after he removed the stock filters...

Im not gonna debate with jamie over his own personal records. That would have me looking stupider then usual..

To the OP...Please keep us updated. truly belieave that 1badgts and jamie give the C6Z06 a lil too much credit...

It is an amazing 1/4 mile car to say the leaste..The 3170 pounds and 3.42 rear end is just made mor the 1/4..The powerband wich is soft down low and then starts screaming after your tires are already moveing is perfect for the 1/4 mile..

But when you get to the bare bones of it in a roll race from 50-150 mph it is just a 445 rwhp car vrs your viper...For people to think that you wont have a chance in a 460 rwhp GTS....

Well they are not looking at the scenario correctly...

I belieave you said that now you are only 425 rwhp..Yes you will get pulled no matter what gear you guys start in even if you are the better driver..

But get those mods for 460 rwhp....

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ll tell you what i will do if you ever get out this way TWISTER i will put YOU in a Gen 4 to race heads up with the Z06 against a driver of my choice at Englishtown how is that.

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
truly belieave that 1badgts and jamie give the C6Z06 a lil too much credit...

It is an amazing 1/4 mile car to say the leaste..The 3170 pounds and 3.42 rear end is just made mor the 1/4..The powerband wich is soft down low and then starts screaming after your tires are already moveing is perfect for the 1/4 mile..

But when you get to the bare bones of it in a roll race from 50-150 mph it is just a 445 rwhp car vrs your viper...For people to think that you wont have a chance in a 460 rwhp GTS....

I don't think you give enough credit to the Z... Race someone that can drive and get educated.

You keep talking about racing a stock Z, but the problem is I don't know anyone that has one (they are all modded). I have a good friend that got nearly 500 rwhp from a tune, CAI and exhaust and two other friend's that have cammed Z's that are monsters on the highway.

Have you raced a Whipple or KB Cobra (2003/2004)... are those weak also?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again..I beat a stock C6Z06 in my 475 rwhp srt10 in front of a crowd of 50 people 2 outta 3 runs heads up..

We also did a roll race and from 40-140 mph the cars were dead even..

This was his stronger than average stock 455 rwhp C6Z06 against my 475 rwhp srt10..

Is it amazeing that a bone stock c6Z06 can run right next to a intake/roller rocker/no cats srt10...Yes it is

I recently ( last week) ran a cammed C6Z06. He has 505 rwhp from a mild street bully cam/intake/tune..

I had filters/roller rockers/no cats/exhaust...I beat him the first run from 30-100 by 3 cars..

he best me the second run by 3 cars..

The third run He pulled a car and then we stayed like that till shut down..

We are both thinking my car only has around 485 rwhp and were both shocked that the races were so close...

I now have a sct tune and we suspect Im around 500 rwhp..We belieave the next races will be door to door..Gonna do 50-150 mph...

You have to understand that a mild bolt on srt10 at 490 rwhp has 80 rwhp more than a stock GTS..Just think about that for a second..

As well Ill dyno soon and if I do hit 500 rwhp like I hope with the sct tune...

500 rwhp is like a mild head/cam gts

Several people have trapped 121-123 mph in stock SRT10's...Not just one guy like in the GTS..But many people have done this..So add another 60 rwhp to the stock 440 rwhp from bolt ons and you start to see how fast these cars really can be..

I personally have around 50 races against Z06's in 3 differant vehicles of mine with all types of differant level of modification...

Ive beaten them..And I didnt need some ungodly amount of power to do it..With my cars current level of around 500 rwhp I would pull away no problem on a stock Z06..Especially the 430-440 rwhp stock ones..

I dont have heads/headers/cam/throttle body/

Just a few mild bolt ons and a tune

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, I saw that video....couldn't see **** nor could I tell what was going on.

You beating a cammed C6 Z06 means you are running low 11's, high 10's at over 130 mph.... that is what they are running at my DA on street tires. I'm not buying it. Sorry...

You are making less horsepower, weigh more and worse gearing than a mild cam C6 Z06.

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, this isn't my first dance... and you keep explaining things, ie. "Just think about that for a second" like I'm some newb. My last three cars had more power and were faster than my Viper...

Your math, your posts and your spelling are all off... No matter how many times you try to explain it, I'm just not buying it.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The differance is Im showing proof that not only can it be done but I just did it last week!!!!!

yes i agree that my math is off..As trust me I expected to get beat handidly by that cammed Z06..But it didnt happen like that..Maybe I have more power than I think..My car is an early 2003 Arrow rebuild. Never ran another srt10 with it so I wouldnt know...

The tourque of the Viper cant shine in first gear at the strip..And often times not even second gear...But from a 40 mph roll when you can really just lay it down..That tourque will scoot you forward a car or two of the z06...Eventually the power to weight of the Z06 will pass you up stock for stock...

But imagine that same torque adavantage of the Viper jumping out 1-2 cars on a roll followed up with another 40 rwhp from mods...Can the z06 make the distance back up????

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vid of a 478 rwhp srt10 vrs stock z06...notice the tourque advantage off the hit

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWclejVs6is[/media]

Status
Not open for further replies.