GTS vs. C6 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vid of stock srt10 and stock c6z06..notice the srt10 truly does out tourque the vette down low and jump out a car or so every race, then the power to weight of the c6z06 shines through and will over take the Viper...also observe how close the races are..looks like the viper actually won more than the vette

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLPMpnvpUk[/media]

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, this isn't my first dance... and you keep explaining things, ie. "Just think about that for a second" like I'm some newb. My last three cars had more power and were faster than my Viper...

Your math, your posts and your spelling are all off... No matter how many times you try to explain it, I'm just not buying it.

1. Please let me apoligize for insulting you and my spelling. I keep thinking you are new for some reason..My apologies. Second I apologize for my spelling. I usually dont clarify on my spelling but I will now. I served in the military and at 20 years od had moderate hearing loss and needed hearings aids.Now at 30 years old my hearing loss is severe..To make it easier..

The average person heres between 0-20 ( this is about perfect hearing..

Older people here from 15-30

35 and above hearing aids are required

90 and above is legally deaf

I am 75 in my left ear and 80 in my right ear. because I cannot hear sounds I often slurr my words while speaking..I simply cannot hear if I am pronouncing them correctly. And it also has effected my spelling..As sometimes I cant even remember the sounds that certain letters made.

So please bayer with me on the spelling ect. truth be told the only time I can truly communicate with people effectively is over the internet or text.

2. As for my math please allow me to clarify..

The saying ACHOTS really comes to mind

Anything
Can
Happen
On
The
Streets

We were both baffled at the close races

A closer look revealed

1. My srt10 is around 500 rwhp SAE and he dynoed 515 rwhp standard (uncorected) So we could very well both be exactly 500 rwhp

2.My car has the front and rear cats eliminated as well as a full header back titanium exhaust. You could literally hold my complete exhaust in one hand..As well my 2008 aftermarket hood is much lighter than stock.

So 100 pounds lighter in weight with these mods

3.he has 20 inch Iforged rims. I have the stock 19 inch rims painted black

4. I weigh 225 pounds and he is 280 pounds

When you factor it all together..

Viper race weight 3525 pounds 490 rwhp and 520 rwt 19 inch rims

Z06 race weight 3450 pounds 500 rwhp and 470 rwt 20 inch rims

So while I would agree with you all day that a stock weight Viper with a 200 pound driver and stock rims at 500 rwhp will get pulled by a stock weight Z06 with a 200 pound driver and stock rims with 500 rwhp...

It didnt work out like that in my races..Thats what makes raceing fun..You just never really know!!!!!

Again I apologize if I offended you...As you probally have more car knowledge than I do

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again..I beat a stock C6Z06 in my 475 rwhp srt10 in front of a crowd of 50 people 2 outta 3 runs heads up..We also did a roll race and from 40-140 mph the cars were dead even..This was his stronger than average stock 455 rwhp C6Z06 against my 475 rwhp srt10..Is it amazeing that a bone stock c6Z06 can run right next to a intake/roller rocker/no cats srt10...Yes it isI recently ( last week) ran a cammed C6Z06. He has 505 rwhp from a mild street bully cam/intake/tune..I had filters/roller rockers/no cats/exhaust...I beat him the first run from 30-100 by 3 cars..he best me the second run by 3 cars..The third run He pulled a car and then we stayed like that till shut down..We are both thinking my car only has around 485 rwhp and were both shocked that the races were so close...I now have a sct tune and we suspect Im around 500 rwhp..We belieave the next races will be door to door..Gonna do 50-150 mph...You have to understand that a mild bolt on srt10 at 490 rwhp has 80 rwhp more than a stock GTS..Just think about that for a second..As well Ill dyno soon and if I do hit 500 rwhp like I hope with the sct tune...500 rwhp is like a mild head/cam gtsSeveral people have trapped 121-123 mph in stock SRT10's...Not just one guy like in the GTS..But many people have done this..So add another 60 rwhp to the stock 440 rwhp from bolt ons and you start to see how fast these cars really can be..I personally have around 50 races against Z06's in 3 differant vehicles of mine with all types of differant level of modification...Ive beaten them..And I didnt need some ungodly amount of power to do it..With my cars current level of around 500 rwhp I would pull away no problem on a stock Z06..Especially the 430-440 rwhp stock ones..I dont have heads/headers/cam/throttle body/Just a few mild bolt ons and a tune
TWISTER ONCE AGAIN EXPLAIN WHY i owned one of the fastest GTS out there (FULLY MODDED NA CAR )and NEVER turned a 10 second run (REMEMBER the car was driven by the best of the best at ENGLISHTOWN )

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you trap in the 1/4 mile?

we no longer have a 1/4 mile track here in Hawaii..

But the cammed C6Z06 and I have both used the same timing equipment at the same location (but on seperate days)

I have around 100 passes from 8 differant outings at this location. My best ever was 11.8 at 122 mph. My mods were roller rockers/no cats/kn filters

My friend in his cammed Z06 only has 12 passes from 2 seperate days. His best is 11.9 at 123 mph

This location is at 1000 feet elevation and in 75 degree weather on a non prepped surface. I was very impressed that his car ran the 11.9 at 123 mph after only 3-4 passes..He was consitently 121-123 mph..

My car is consistently 119-121 mph..Only hit two 122's...The car is at the dealership for the clutch/power steering..

I will be going again and hope I can match his 122-123 mph CONSISTANT trapp speeds with the titanium exhaust and sct tune

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The differance is Im showing proof that not only can it be done but I just did it last week!!!!!

yes i agree that my math is off..As trust me I expected to get beat handidly by that cammed Z06..But it didnt happen like that..Maybe I have more power than I think..My car is an early 2003 Arrow rebuild. Never ran another srt10 with it so I wouldnt know...

The tourque of the Viper cant shine in first gear at the strip..And often times not even second gear...But from a 40 mph roll when you can really just lay it down..That tourque will scoot you forward a car or two of the z06...Eventually the power to weight of the Z06 will pass you up stock for stock...

But imagine that same torque adavantage of the Viper jumping out 1-2 cars on a roll followed up with another 40 rwhp from mods...Can the z06 make the distance back up????

I think so...gearing plays a big role. Based on my experience (throw all the rocks you want), a 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen Viper (normally aspirated) will need in excess of 550rwhp to hang with a PROPERLY DRIVEN Z06...if it is supercharged, it will need more than that...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think so...gearing plays a big role. Based on my experience (throw all the rocks you want), a 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen Viper (normally aspirated) will need in excess of 550rwhp to hang with a PROPERLY DRIVEN Z06...if it is supercharged, it will need more than that...
Very true as i made an honest 560 ish to the tires and MAY have trapped 1-2 mph faster .The Vette gets its power down better though as Jamie ran 10s on a 128ish trap NO ONE ever was able to do that in my car with traps in the 130-132 range.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think 550rwhp is too much. More like 510-515rwhp..

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do 355 gears make a difference in the 1/4 or on a roll ? GEN 2 GTS . I was told it did, true or false . It seems way faster all around 1 2 3 4 5 6 :dunno:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do 355 gears make a difference in the 1/4 or on a roll ? GEN 2 GTS . I was told it did, true or false . It seems way faster all around 1 2 3 4 5 6 :dunno:
It will allow you to pick up a tenth in the quarter mile.As i replied earlyier i NEVER raced anyone from a 50-150 roll on BUT my car did do fairly well in competiting against other modifyed Vipers in the VCA sponsered NE ZONE EVENTS ect .Quarter mile wise BOTH DRIVERS of the same ability on the same track a NA Gen 2 VIPER no matter WHAT you do to it is going to have a very tough time .I mean realistically a Gen 4 against a Z06 both stock is a tossup.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, I saw that video....couldn't see **** nor could I tell what was going on.

You beating a cammed C6 Z06 means you are running low 11's, high 10's at over 130 mph.... that is what they are running at my DA on street tires. I'm not buying it. Sorry...

You are making less horsepower, weigh more and worse gearing than a mild cam C6 Z06.
This is what i was TRYING to get thru to him as NO WAY IN THE WORLD my GTS (built to the MAX soup to nuts you name it that motor had it to the tune of over 30k in mods at jobber prices )WOULD BE ABLE TO BEAT A cammed Z 06 with drivers of the same ability on the same track(i could barely beat a stock one).

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
abadgts...

I just dont get your logic..

132 is 4 mph faster than 128..It's not close..

As well that 128 mph is the best of the best negative 1500 DA in the world one time number..

Im sure you ran 130-132 all the time..

What really sickens me is the fact that we overlook how almost everyone else on the z06 fast list is 122-125 mph..Theirs only 2 other people in the 126-127 range..

Their have been 7k C6Z06's made a year..So their are 35K C6Z06's out their in the world..BUT ONLY A FEW PEOPLE HAVE TOUCHED 126 PLUS MPH?????

Yet you talk as if this 128 mph trapp is what they all run..Surely you can see the problem with your statements..
be realistic..Your GTS trapped 130-132..A C6Z06 trapps 124-126..

I ask that you please consider this..As their is no such thing as a stock 128 mph Z06..

By your logic all Gen3 SRT10's can trapp 124 mph..and all GTS's can trapp 122 mphTheir are people who have done it..Since you say a C6Z06 is a 128 mph car then likewise?????

Just keep it honest...Thats all Im asking..Can you go and drive a C6Z06 at a sea level track in 65 degree weather to a 124-126 mph trapp speed..yes you can with some skill..But 127-128 would be in thebest conditions imaginable..

DMAN has a gen3 SRT10..he has trapped 124-126 mph with just exhaust and intake...So they all can do that??????? Or did he just run into some amazeing weather mixed with a great driver?????

What is it..fact or fiction...I once bench pressed 275 pounds 15 times..I did it. For what ever reason on that certain day my body just had animal strength...

i have never been able to repeat that. I do 6-12 reps at best..maybe the air was denser that day and my breathing was optimal..maybe I had the perfect balance of nutriants in my system..Maybe the way the light reflected off the bench created heat on my back and helped me push through..

So should I tell people I can benchpress 275 15 times?????Or should I say I can do it 8-10 times?

I will always feel this way about it. A 10.9 at 128 when EVERYONE else runs 124-126 on stock tires (other than ranger who has touched 127)is just not a number you should feel so comfortable posting. Could jamie go to another track tonight and even come close?????or would he run a 11.3 at 126..

again the c6z06 is a fast car no doubt...but not as fast as you like to point out..head to head testing has always shown that a c6z06 is 3-4 mph faster in the 1/4 mile than a srt10....defiently significant but nothing a few bolt ons cant make up

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tornado,if you put down the weights for a month or two. You could probably trap 2 mph faster in the quarter..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One comment I read said that a supercharged engine would need more than 550rwhp (600+bhp) to beat a vette?

A Roe supercharger makes massive amounts of torque with a flat torque curve from 2,000rpm all the way to 5000rpm. The lowest hp ratings I've ever heard from a Roe sc and no other performane upgrades were 550rwhp. That's 620+bhp and would easily outpower all 505 bhp vettes.

Minimal mods (rockers, CAI, $50 smooth tubes, headers and exhaust) make an easy 460rwhp. Heads, cam and intake hone should add another 100rwhp at least. n/a highly modified viper engines make 800hp (fatalbert sells some).

Interesting that the ZR1 got Viper designed Pilot Sport 2 tires? All the ordinary vettes get Eagle runflats really skinny or a bit smaller than viper tires? The vette and GT500 transmissions are carry overs from the Viper designed transmissions.

Vette's have Caddilac magnetic adjsutable shocks, TC, electronic susp, nav, heads up display, soft plushy seats, etc.

Guess if I wanted a fast Caddilac I'd buy a vette?

If you want the car that the 'best in the world under $100K' parts were designed for - buy a Viper.

Ted

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tailawag has a video of his stockish c6z06 haveing a close run with a 610 rwhp paxtoned viper....Thing is that you can clearly see that the viper started behind him and easily caught up and then started to walk away were tailawag claims he let off..

Dont belieave that bs for a second

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone asked about n/a power from a Viper engine - above I quoted FatAlberts numbers (engines that he sold/sells?) that one of our members bought at 800hp. Another of our members just bought a land speed record (298mph record) GTS that came with a 1100hp engine. The pictures on the auction's page showed normally aspirated Viper Engine. I've been invited to go to the Salt flats and pit for his record breaking attempt (300+mph). I think I want to drive, lol.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
abadgts...

As well that 128 mph is the best of the best negative 1500 DA in the world one time number..

What really sickens me is the fact that we overlook how almost everyone else on the z06 fast list is 122-125 mph..Theirs only 2 other people in the 126-127 range..

Their have been 7k C6Z06's made a year..So their are 35K C6Z06's out their in the world..BUT ONLY A FEW PEOPLE HAVE TOUCHED 126 PLUS MPH?????

Yet you talk as if this 128 mph trapp is what they all run..Surely you can see the problem with your statements..

I ask that you please consider this..As their is no such thing as a stock 128 mph Z06..

By your logic all Gen3 SRT10's can trapp 124 mph..and all GTS's can trapp 122 mphTheir are people who have done it..Since you say a C6Z06 is a 128 mph car then likewise?????

Just keep it honest...Thats all Im asking..Can you go and drive a C6Z06 at a sea level track in 65 degree weather to a 124-126 mph trapp speed..yes you can with some skill..But 127-128 would be in thebest conditions imaginable..

DMAN has a gen3 SRT10..he has trapped 124-126 mph with just exhaust and intake...So they all can do that??????? Or did he just run into some amazeing weather mixed with a great driver?????

What is it..fact or fiction...I once bench pressed 275 pounds 15 times..I did it. For what ever reason on that certain day my body just had animal strength...

i have never been able to repeat that. I do 6-12 reps at best..maybe the air was denser that day and my breathing was optimal..maybe I had the perfect balance of nutriants in my system..Maybe the way the light reflected off the bench created heat on my back and helped me push through..

So should I tell people I can benchpress 275 15 times?????Or should I say I can do it 8-10 times?

I will always feel this way about it. A 10.9 at 128 when EVERYONE else runs 124-126 on stock tires (other than ranger who has touched 127)is just not a number you should feel so comfortable posting. Could jamie go to another track tonight and even come close?????or would he run a 11.3 at 126..

again the c6z06 is a fast car no doubt...but not as fast as you like to point out..head to head testing has always shown that a c6z06 is 3-4 mph faster in the 1/4 mile than a srt10....defiently significant but nothing a few bolt ons cant make up
Sorry pal ,your wrong i personally have seen NUMERIOUS STOCK Z06 trap over 128 at Englishtown while once in a while i trapped over 130..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One comment I read said that a supercharged engine would need more than 550rwhp (600+bhp) to beat a vette?  A Roe supercharger makes massive amounts of torque with a flat torque curve from 2,000rpm all the way to 5000rpm.  The lowest hp ratings I've ever heard from a Roe sc and no other performane upgrades were 550rwhp.  That's 620+bhp and would easily outpower all 505 bhp vettes.  Minimal mods (rockers, CAI, $50 smooth tubes, headers and exhaust) make an easy 460rwhp.  Heads, cam and intake hone should add another 100rwhp at least.  n/a highly modified viper engines make 800hp (fatalbert sells some).  Interesting that the ZR1 got Viper designed Pilot Sport 2 tires?  All the ordinary vettes get Eagle runflats really skinny or a bit smaller than viper tires?  The vette and GT500 transmissions are carry overs from the Viper designed transmissions.  Vette's have Caddilac magnetic adjsutable shocks, TC, electronic susp, nav, heads up display, soft plushy seats, etc.Guess if I wanted a fast Caddilac I'd buy a vette?  If you want the car that the 'best in the world under $100K' parts were designed for - buy a Viper.  Ted
And what does ANY of the above RANT have to do with this thread.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone asked about n/a power from a Viper engine - above I quoted FatAlberts numbers (engines that he sold/sells?) that one of our members bought at 800hp. Another of our members just bought a land speed record (298mph record) GTS that came with a 1100hp engine. The pictures on the auction's page showed normally aspirated Viper Engine. I've been invited to go to the Salt flats and pit for his record breaking attempt (300+mph). I think I want to drive, lol.
And what does any of the above have to do with this thread.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew 1BADGTS couldn't make it through another Viper vs Vette thread without mentioning Evan Smith. The man-crush is strong! :)

Still LOL at these threads though. Nothing brings out the level of performance denial like a good ol' fashioned Corvette thread on a Viper website.

Tony

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between the z06 and srt or gen 2 with slight bolt on to be pound for pound rarely beat a z06 given both drives are equal. The z06 has weight advantage (which, personally doesnt make that much of a difference), higher revs, better gearing but mainly can put the power down (do to tc, stabil...). HP is nothing if it cant be used.
Thats why porsche is such a dominate car for its power rating, as is the GTR.

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
abadgts...

Everyone doesn't post on the Z06 fast list. I have been to the track when two of my friends ran their nearly stock Z's to 125/126 mph (1000+ DA). One of my friend's just ran an 11.0 and an 11.1 at over 130+ mph on street tires with a cam only Z.

Again, everyone doesn't post on the fast list and not everyone goes to the track - hard to believe, but true.

Trap speed does not equal E.T. You do understand that a car can run an 11.5 at 130 mph and another car carn run 10.9 at 126 mph. Trap speed doesn't mean qucker.

Best time on stock Z06 - Corvette Forum Your boy Jamie did it....

True

Interesting analogy... not sure that it has a place here, but let me retort. If you have done it for 15, then you would say that your best is 15 reps and you typically do it for 8-10 reps. BTW, my best was 18 reps :omg:

The C6 Z06 is faster than a GTS, SRT-10 and right on the heels of a Gen IV. Not sure why you are having a hard time comprehending it.

I know that you state / claim to have beat some Z's on the street, but there are way too many variables. (someone leaving early, starting in the wrong gear, etc...) I just don't see winning a street race as a legitimate claim unless all things are equal. Racing up to 100 mph isn't a real race unless you are going from a dig IMHO.

Talking about adding mods is a whole new conversation.... one that doesn't favor the Viper since it is a lot more inexpensive to mod the Z. (ie. Friend of mine added a CAI, thermostat and a tune and was at 490 rwhp)

I think we are getting off topic as I wanted to know what I need to do to equal the Z. I will need to do a base line at the track and revisit this thread.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

:2tu:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mainly can put the power down (do to tc, stabil...). HP is nothing if it cant be used.
Thats why porsche is such a dominate car for its power rating, as is the GTR.

The Z06 is a not easy to launch from a dig. I have launch control on my 2010 Z06. With it on, or off. My GTS is still easier to do..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew 1BADGTS couldn't make it through another Viper vs Vette thread without mentioning Evan Smith. The man-crush is strong! :)

Still LOL at these threads though. Nothing brings out the level of performance denial like a good ol' fashioned Corvette thread on a Viper website.

Tony
Who brought his name up-YOU brought his name up.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 Z06 is faster than a GTS, SRT-10 and right on the heels of a Gen IV. Not sure why you are having a hard time comprehending it.

I know that you state / claim to have beat some Z's on the street, but there are way too many variables. (someone leaving early, starting in the wrong gear, etc...) I just don't see winning a street race as a legitimate claim unless all things are equal. Racing up to 100 mph isn't a real race unless you are going from a dig IMHO.

Talking about adding mods is a whole new conversation.... one that doesn't favor the Viper since it is a lot more inexpensive to mod the Z. (ie. Friend of mine added a CAI, thermostat and a tune and was at 490 rwhp)

I think we are getting off topic as I wanted to know what I need to do to equal the Z. I will need to do a base line at the track and revisit this thread.

Your exactly correct .

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

then you truly have read nothing I have posted. I openly admit that the average well driven srt10 will do 121-122 mph and the average well driven C6Z06 will do 125-126 mph..I have a solid 1000 passes at the drag strip in head/cam C5 vettes and supercharged camaroes..Trust me..I know how much of an ass whoopin 4 mph is

when it comes down to it at any raceing venue..wether at the strip..on a closed road or on the highway..Winning is winning..And the smile on my face in front of those 50 people all on the side of the road watching the two big bad american cars go is somthing I wont forget

the hole time my post have been about modded vipers vrs stock c6Z06..Again fadi ran his stock Z06 to an 11.5 at 125 mph..He ran into a GTS on the freeway and from 60-150 mph he couldnt beat the viper. He was very happy to finally have a good race against any car..As his stock Z06 was simply dominating everything. He was so impressed with what he assumed was a 520 rwhp head and cam GTS that he went on viper alley and posted about it...Turns out the GTS owner was a member and guess what..All he had was bolt ons and 460 rwhp SAE..Is a 125 mph trapp speed really that much more than the 120 a stock GTS can produce? What about with the extra 50 rwhp from bolt ons???Could that GTS match 125 trapp speeds? In this case it was a little too much for the stock Z06

good luck..reguardless if you can beat the z06 or not..I wish you well on getting 11's

Ps...dont forget the video camera

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems to be a few guys that get their vipers beat by vettes. Glad I don't have that problem.

When I beat beat vettes with my 440 Duster and my Stealth TT I read up on the magazine specs for the supercars. Vettes never won. The Z06 was the only one that was close.

TC slows car down and if you turn it on - YOU LOSE. KInda like esc it puts on the brakes to slow you down.

Although Snake bite is famous for Vipers I guess that vettes are OK for novice drivers.

Too bad Vipers are required to run Intake restrictor plates that reduce their output by 200hp. Ever wonder who would win ALL the Lemans races if there was no restrictor plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets