Heads up: cheap Mobil 1 at Autozone...

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a regional deal or not, but starting tomorrow (Tues. Jan. 10) here in NorCal they're running their 5 qt + oil filter deal for $29.99, INCLUDING 0w40. Add $4 to upgrade the filter to the Mobil 1 version. Smokin' deal!

Go grab some.

Rich

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The sale is good here in Idaho as I picked up 10 qt. today. They're letting you buy 10 qt. with 2 Bosch oil filters of your choice. (total $59.98,$41.90 discount).
Regular price for 0-40w is $8.79 a qt.!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up - also available here in Iowa. I had an oil change weekend - went thru 41 quarts (2 Vipers, 1 Rover, 1 Solara, 1 Mountaineer, and a partridge in a pear tree.) Totally cleaned out my supply. I also noticed the Bosch filter - so it looks like I'll have a few extra for the daily drivers.

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...don't forget, you can upgrade that Bosch filter to the Mobil 1 part for only $4 in this deal. Definitely worth it.

Everyone in my Autozone thought I was mildly nuts; I hit the deal four times for 20 qts and 4 filters (they overlooked the 2/customer limit, sweet)... I also have two SRT8's in the stable @ 7 qts each, so my pile of oil isn't going to last very long. Sure wish they'd do this with the 5 qt jug, too.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...don't forget, you can upgrade that Bosch filter to the Mobil 1 part for only $4 in this deal. Definitely worth it.

Everyone in my Autozone thought I was mildly nuts; I hit the deal four times for 20 qts and 4 filters (they overlooked the 2/customer limit, sweet)... I also have two SRT8's in the stable @ 7 qts each, so my pile of oil isn't going to last very long. Sure wish they'd do this with the 5 qt jug, too.

Thanks for the heads up, it is valid here in Houston also, I will be going to get some tonight. With 2 Vipers and an SRT-8, I am in the same boat as you, bought 20 qts the last time they did this, all gone quick! :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks rw99

I just picked mine up. I got two specials and one upgrade to the Mobil 1 filter. Then I returned the Bosch filter. Came to $68.45 after paying Governor Christie and the I got a $6.21 refund. I asked if I could just get one Mobil 1 filter instead of the two Bosch filters but they wouldn't do it. So anyway... I overfilled my GTS a little bit last year. Is it about 8 1/2 quarts with the filter ?

Last edited:

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped by an autozone in fort worth and no sale on anything Mobil 1 there. Think the guy thought I was making the whole thing up.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called them today and the sale is on but dont make the mistake like others by buying the Mobil 1 oil filter. Get the oil and throw the filter away. Mopar only filter.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped by an autozone in fort worth and no sale on anything Mobil 1 there. Think the guy thought I was making the whole thing up.

Go to the autozone website and punch in your zip code (I punched in 76102 for Fort Worth and the ad showed the sale). My local store knew nothing about it either until I told them, the sale started yesterday and they haven't received the ads yet.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the other side from here:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Comments:
The Bosch appears to be of excellent quality. The Bosch, Mobil 1, and STP appear to all use identical materials and construction, with only the Mobil 1 having a different filter media (appears to be coated). The pleat seperation/uniformity does not appear as good as the Mobil 1 or STP filters, though this may be a manufacturing issue (I may have gotten an odd one). The Bosch, Mobil 1, and STP bypass valve utilizes a stiffer spring than any of the others and a rubber seat/seal which should help prevent leakage. This filter is well made and looks to be an identical (though more expensive) alternative to the STP.

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to the autozone website and punch in your zip code (I punched in 76102 for Fort Worth and the ad showed the sale). My local store knew nothing about it either until I told them, the sale started yesterday and they haven't received the ads yet.

Thanks. Hmmm, it's right next to work so I'll stop by over today at some point.

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called them today and the sale is on but dont make the mistake like others by buying the Mobil 1 oil filter. Get the oil and throw the filter away. Mopar only filter.

Note: last time (and only time since owning) I got the viper specific Mopar filter.

Spent some time reading about oil filters on here. It's quite interesting. It seems back in early 2000's everyone on here was recommending the M1 filter. But lately when its brought up many people seem to be totally against it and say just to use the Viper specific one. Sure, maybe its "better" and made for the car...but were Mobil 1 filters failing and blowing cars up all over the place back in 2003?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the first time I've heard neg. comments on the M1 filters. I've always used them

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to info here somewhere (if I remember right), M1 filter is fine for Gen I and II cars, but the SRT filter is suggested for Gen III and IV cars (forgot the reason for this). I use M1 on my Gen II, and SRT on Gen IV.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a filter guru, but how do Fram filters rate?

I have a 10-pack of Mopar filters on standby for the next changes, but have a Fram on now.

??

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a filter guru, but how do Fram filters rate?

I have a 10-pack of Mopar filters on standby for the next changes, but have a Fram on now.

??

Although I haven't heard much, I literally have heard nothing but bad things about them.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine tonight at Autozone too, and the sales guy suggested that I make two separate purchases of the 5 qt w/filter "deal" instead of buying ten qts at a time.

That way, you'll get two "Autozone Rewards" points instead of one (since you get one point for every purchase over $20). And once you get 5 points, they give you a $20 credit.

Just trying to save everyone some bux. Just make separate 5 qt purchases and you can save even more. :clap2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte