Heffner 1000SCi Initial Driving Impressions (long)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, let me say, HOLY CRAP!!!! What hath God wrought!!!!

Second, let me say that Jason Heffner built a car that exceeded even my wildest expectations. Thank you Jason!

Take a deep breath!

I took the Viper out this weekend for the first time and let me tell you this car rocks like you wouldn't believe!!!! For those that haven't been paying attention, Jason Heffner supercharged and intercooled my car yielding close to 1000 HP at the engine. All this and I can still run pump gas!!

My first trip was to the gas station to fill up. The car drives very much like a stock car when you are easy on the gas pedal. Punch it and it creates a new dimension--literally!

I took it out on the highway and rolled through the gears. 1st gear--**** my neck hurts!, 2nd gear--what happened to my sunglasses?!, third gear--now we're moving, fourth gear--oh my god!--I thought those were dashed white lines, now they're solid!!! Even fifth gear pulls real hard. It's almost hard to believe that a car can be so fast (and quick) and still be so docile.

Jason's a great driver and in the past when he drives his car and I'm driving mine, he can always outdrive me even though my car had an average of 50 HP more than his. We were cruising on Saturday night and he punches it and I let him get a car length or so ahead of me. I punch it at that point and it looked like he threw out an anchor, threw it in reverse, and locked up the emergency brake. I passed him so fast I couldn't believe it! (Sorry Jason!! hahaha!!)

We cruised around town all evening. This is a car town and everybody thinks they have the baddest car around. At one point, a lowly Camaro (probably about an 11 sec car) pulled up next to me to egg me on. Normally, I wouldn't bite, but I wanted to show this guy what he was dealing with. He punched it briefly a few times and finally layed into it. I waited till he was 2 car lengths ahead and punched it in 3rd gear. Within about 6 car lengths I flashed by him like he was sitting still and had about a couple of lengths on him. No contest! There were many more that thought they could take me that night, but I wasn't having any part of it. Thank goodness I'm no longer on probation!
smile.gif

During the course of the weekend I had the opportunity to demonstrate "raw finesse" horsepower numerous times. This car is incredible and I invite anyone who is interested to witness firsthand how fast and yet how streetable this car really is to come on out, I'll happily demonstrate!

Finally, I'll be happy to put this car up against any Viper out there--bar none!

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats Gary and I know you are loving life......I am so jealous.........................Have fun and be safe!!!!

BlownViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason said your car still gets squirley at 100 mph
eek.gif
Have fun with it and be carefull!I just got off the phone with Vipermed and will be getting one of his polished intakes and valve covers that will go PERFECT with Jason's kit.You should get the other one that Vipermed has,Gary.
P.S Jason....HURRY UP WITH MY KIT!!!!!!!!!!Its driving me nuts reading all of Gary's posts!
BURNOUT.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh -- sounds like you're enjoying the car properly, Gary. Congrats! It's a pity you're not in California, or we could have the Supercharged Viper Bake-Off (tm)! I promise I wouldn't spray ya... much
supergrin.gif

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary-
How does it feel to know that just about everything on the street (including most cycles) pale in comparison and are slow?

Sounds like you truly have a wicked Viper!!!
So, with all the power, at what speed do the tires plant on the street? I know that 750hp and 840 tq presents some interesting challenges with traction....and, from the sound of it, you have a few hundred ponies on me!! Jealous....absolutely....

We will be doing our first Suprcharged LETHAL 750 package. We hope to make your power (ie LETHAL 1000)by starting out with 750hp, and adding about 5-7lbs boost. Then we should be knocking on the door of 1000hp. Heffner has been doing some amazing stuff, and it really helps push tuners to new levels!

Hae fun and be safe....
Regards,
Wayne

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is definitely very drivable even with all the power. If you push it hard the tires light up in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th. But you can manage the traction very well (I have Pirelli P-zeros) without too much trouble. I'm still getting used to driving it (unfortunately it's raining here).

Ben, maybe next spring we can get all these monsters together for some real on/off track fun!

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary:

the MPH in your sig seems low compared to the HP you are putting out now. did u run that 1/4 mile when u had less HP? seems like u should be running in the 140s at least? am i wrong?

thanks. and congrats on your car. it sounds awesome!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LB -- from memory, Jamie ran the 10.74 @ 135 back when Gary's car had "just" 670 RWHP. I don't believe the car has run at the track since its latest 150 RWHP upgrade; I'll fearlessly predict it runs 142-145 MPH at current power levels.

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben's right. The numbers in my sig were achieved at Bowling Green Kentucky right before VOI. Jamie drove my car on radials with about 650 rwhp at the time to get these numbers.

The weather isn't cooperating at the moment to get the car back to the track. I also have an issue with tires since I can't put anything less than a 17" rim on my StopTech brakes. I'll resolve that problem real soon and we'll be heading back to the track.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary -- this is slightly OT, but I believe I have video of some of Jamie's runs at VOI. Was your car running mismatched wheels (red rears, if memory serves)? I'm still climbing through the 80+ vids I got at VOI, but I can probably fish yours out this evening and post it if I knew which wheels your car was running...

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
Gary -- this is slightly OT, but I believe I have video of some of Jamie's runs at VOI. Was your car running mismatched wheels (red rears, if memory serves)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct. Mine was the car with the red rear wheels. I originally bought the Nitto 18" drag radials hoping they would work on my car but after the tires were mounted on the rims it was obvious they would perform better as a ferris wheel at a carnival (I'm talking BIG!). I also have video, but I haven't found a good place to host it so I can post it here. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary I really don't feel we ever had a good run at bowling green because of the traction issue, I mean this weekend at mir my Z06 went 1.74 60' with the factory stock issue F1's, that was better than any of the leaves in Kentucky and half the power.With the newfound power and some good traction I hope to take about a second off that et.I thought that car ran 136 in Bowling Green?

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
I don't have the best run digitized (yet) but here's one which was pretty close, from the VOI drags:

Going Fast on Radials

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ben! I think that was the first run in the 10's. Jamie knocked a little bit off with each subsequent run. And just think, that was 200 HP ago!
grazy.gif

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryA:
First, let me say, HOLY CRAP!!!! What hath God wrought!!!!

Second, let me say that Jason Heffner built a car that exceeded even my wildest expectations. Thank you Jason!

Take a deep breath!

I took the Viper out this weekend for the first time and let me tell you this car rocks like you wouldn't believe!!!! For those that haven't been paying attention, Jason Heffner supercharged and intercooled my car yielding close to 1000 HP at the engine. All this and I can still run pump gas!!

My first trip was to the gas station to fill up. The car drives very much like a stock car when you are easy on the gas pedal. Punch it and it creates a new dimension--literally!

I took it out on the highway and rolled through the gears. 1st gear--**** my neck hurts!, 2nd gear--what happened to my sunglasses?!, third gear--now we're moving, fourth gear--oh my god!--I thought those were dashed white lines, now they're solid!!! Even fifth gear pulls real hard. It's almost hard to believe that a car can be so fast (and quick) and still be so docile.

Jason's a great driver and in the past when he drives his car and I'm driving mine, he can always outdrive me even though my car had an average of 50 HP more than his. We were cruising on Saturday night and he punches it and I let him get a car length or so ahead of me. I punch it at that point and it looked like he threw out an anchor, threw it in reverse, and locked up the emergency brake. I passed him so fast I couldn't believe it! (Sorry Jason!! hahaha!!)

We cruised around town all evening. This is a car town and everybody thinks they have the baddest car around. At one point, a lowly Camaro (probably about an 11 sec car) pulled up next to me to egg me on. Normally, I wouldn't bite, but I wanted to show this guy what he was dealing with. He punched it briefly a few times and finally layed into it. I waited till he was 2 car lengths ahead and punched it in 3rd gear. Within about 6 car lengths I flashed by him like he was sitting still and had about a couple of lengths on him. No contest! There were many more that thought they could take me that night, but I wasn't having any part of it. Thank goodness I'm no longer on probation!
smile.gif

During the course of the weekend I had the opportunity to demonstrate "raw finesse" horsepower numerous times. This car is incredible and I invite anyone who is interested to witness firsthand how fast and yet how streetable this car really is to come on out, I'll happily demonstrate!

Finally, I'll be happy to put this car up against any Viper out there--bar none!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEHE what were you on paper for?

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:

I'd LOVE to take ya up on that one! I'd love a nice safe street race! interesting to see what my "lowley" 800rwhp car do against your monster...

Gerald

p.s.
be safe. enjoy the cold air, it adds major HP. I'm seriously considering redynoing my car now the air here is in the 70's and not the upper 90's and removing my air filter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup and the Turbos benefit a little more. Watch those Supras this time of year.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryA:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd LOVE to take ya up on that one! I'd love a nice safe street race! interesting to see what my "lowley" 800rwhp car do against your monster...

Gerald

p.s.
be safe. enjoy the cold air, it adds major HP. I'm seriously considering redynoing my car now the air here is in the 70's and not the upper 90's and removing my air filter.

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had a supra. i mean i had very fast supra. supra that made 800rwhp but i don't think Gary would have any problem taking them out. plus there isn't even a single supra that makes over 700rwhp on pump gas and he's car is making 840+rwhp on pump gas. Gary's car is also getting faster around this time. Front mount intercooler should pick up some extra hp when weather gets colder. i guess that will put you well over 900rwhp. Plus Gary can run higher boost level since he has lower compression ratio.

p.s
Gary i'm right behind you. i'll be there soon.
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BUD:
HEHE what were you on paper for?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, um, failure to appear, driving on suspended license for 3 years.
devil.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya