Help with Valve cover replacement

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm replacing the valve covers on my 94, since the paint is chipping off. What is the proper technique for removing the baffles and reinstalling them onto the new covers?

I've removed one of the valve covers and there is a baffle with a black liquid gasket around 80% of the perimeter. What is the correct gasket product to use when installing the baffles on the new covers? Regular "Permatex Gasket Maker"? Do I simply screw in the baffles, then put a bead of gasket around the perimeter or do you bead the gasket around the baffle first?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing those baffles is a pain in the butt. Take a razor and cut the gasket on the inside and unscrew the baffles. Gently work them out so you don' bend them. The gasket is regular high temp black gasket maker. I don't believe the gasket is even required but I chose to put it back on mine because it had it stock. Just install the new baffles into the new valve covers then run the bead of permatex.

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any locktite required on the sheet metal screws? Didn't seem like there was any one them when removed.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing those baffles is a pain in the butt. Take a razor and cut the gasket on the inside and unscrew the baffles. Gently work them out so you don' bend them. The gasket is regular high temp black gasket maker. I don't believe the gasket is even required but I chose to put it back on mine because it had it stock. Just install the new baffles into the new valve covers then run the bead of permatex.

This is exactly how I did it...again, be careful with the baffles, don't bend them very much. I used Permatex Ultra Black around the baffles and locktite on the screws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang