How long does a Viper take to sell?

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I listed my red 2001 Dodge Viper 29k miles back in Oct 2006 on ebay, VCA classifies, and Autotrader. I had it listed for $52,000. No bites. I figured it was because I'm in CT where winter was approaching and I have a convertible.

Then I waited till January and again relisted on eBay and Autotrader and one other site. I reduced it to $49,000. Still no dice.

I then waited till Spring and listed it on Cars.com and Autotrader. I had one interested party, but he was low-balling worse than eBayers at $39,000. No thanks!

So now I'm trying Autotrader again as well as the VCA classifieds here: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=367

It's not approved yet, so you can also check out my Autotrader ad

My question is, why the heck is the Viper so hard to sell? Is it because people search online only using a 25-mile radius and my CT town (Brookfield) isn't near any major cities? I doubt that is the case. I just don't get it.

Yhis is a beautiful car and I "get it" that there are less buyers of an exotic, but it shouldn't take months to sell, should it?

Any advice where else to list it? and is $49,000 asking too much? Personally I still think it's worth more than that, but I need the money.

97gtsmonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems like a pretty fair deal to me. if its in good cond.. look at the 2001 vipers on here for sale and that will tell you if your price is right

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my 2001 over a year ago with only 26k miles for a lot less than $49,000. I'd be lucky to get $40,000 for mine now with only 33k miles. Mine as just as nice as many others out there.

Most folks with ambition to spend $40-50k on a car, don't want a viper anyway. A car is a stupid investment so don't even think of it that way. I'd say low 40's for your car, that probably isn't what you want hear but it's reality. 26k miles isn't high mileage, but a lot of vipers with less than 20k miles out there in the price range your asking. Why shouldn't someone buy those vs. yours?

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It priced a little too high. I don't see it selling for much more than $45K. Check the current market. I was looking for some rims for mine around Chicago saw an 2001 w/ 11K miles on it asking only $45k. BUt if you can hold out do so.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its red, an RT, and high miles (comparitively). There is alot of red low mile competition. I believe 39K is about right.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried selling my 600 HP 72' Nova since Feb./Mar. and ran into the same problems as you are experiencing. Listed in all the same places and people(even friends) were low balling. I'm not giving the car away, and I don't need to sell it, so the car is not for sale anymore. I think people just don't have the money to spend right now. It is very frustrating. I don't know your financial situation, but don't give it away and don't lower the price just because the market seems to think it is too high a price.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
only other place I'd consider is cars.com, that's the only place i look that you didn't mention. Maybe a little to high, but don't drop it by much.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Chuck hit it on the head...I paid $65K for my '01 ACR a year ago from a dealer and that was a reasonable going rate then. I think I'd be lucky to get 52 for it right now (in fact, an identical car is in the classifieds right now for under 50). The Viper market is soft, just like the housing market. I wonder if the correlation is coincidence.

Konstantin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:( Good question. I own a 1997 b/w gts 10,750 miles on it. I am a second owner since 5,100 miles, anyway I was thinking about selling it because I am going to be a dad finally and dont really have the space for my dream car that I worshiped pretty much! But you gotta do what you gotta do, right. Anyway what can I sell it for, PM Me, thanks guys, & girls of course.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expensive used cars aren't moving real fast right now. Housing market ain't so hot either.

bingo. same goes for collector cars. the prices and demand for cars like superbirds for instance, (my personal favorite) are way down compared to a few years ago. some people are still asking for the "old" prices, but they arent getting them.

i dont think the problem is with your car, your price seems reasonable to me too. the economy is just weird right now.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always said that a car / van / truck / house etc is only WORTH what someone else is willing to pay. I have a motorbike I am selling right now. I think its worth $8500.00 dollars. Its been for sale all summer. Had one offer of $6000.00 and I said forget it. Fortunately I dont need to sell it but I hardly ever ride it anymore so I thought maybe someone else could use it. Is it worth $8500.00? To me it is. To anyone else it's worth $6000.00. If I really wanted to sell it I would take the $6000.00 and run. Same as with my Viper. Sometimes you get lucky and someone will step forward with the cash you want. If they dont then its only worth what someone is willing to pay. In your case I would guess that that amount is around $40 G right now. If you need to sell it then such is life. You can always get another one down the road. Very few cars are good investments. They are a depreciating asset. They will go up some day but it will be a few years. I have a feeling that all of us with Vipers now will be kicking our asses in 20 years for letting them go. I think you will see good examples going for huge money at the Barratt Jackson type auctions. Its not a matter of if but when these cars go through the roof in value.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try going to some car cruises your areas where you'll see some Ferraris, Nobles, Lotus Exiges and other high end toys, rather than just your average hot rod get together.

I was at one last week with quite an assortment of unusual vehicles including one home built Northstar powered fiberglass street legal coupe driven by some GM exec that supposedly pulls 1.9Gs on the skid pad.(!!) It had an emblem on the hood-but I didn't recognize what it said. (note to self-take camera next time) :bonker:

Also there were a couple of expensive Ferraris, and off in the corner quietly standing next to his Z06 powered late 60's Camaro was Mark Stielow, a local guy whose cars have been in the car mags and on the covers more than probably anyone else that comes to mind lately. Do a search on that name and see how busy that former Gale Banks employee-now GM engineer is in his off time.

A very eclectic group.

I had my '99 GTS there with a for sale sign in it. Mark said he's been getting some people wanting to buy his Camaro. He said he might be looking for a Viper when the Camaro's gone :omg:
Maybe I need to buy him lunch next time..

Also look for dealers in used exotics who do consignment maybe ?

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

Last edited:

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things I have noticed. Red car's, no stripe, seem to sell slower that other colors. RT's sell slower than GTS's. Cars with close to 30,000 miles sell slower than ones with lower miles. The only thing left, is price. How about offering to help with transportation costs or providing an inspection by a Viper Tech. Your going to have to do something to make a buyer want YOUR car an only Your car. Good luck!

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plus no hard top I imagine would knock off several thousand in comparison to similar cars out there, how much are those to purchase?

BTW, your message here said you had 29k miles in October 1996 but the listing says 20,000 miles?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I listed my red 2001 Dodge Viper 29k miles back in Oct 2006 on ebay, VCA classifies, and Autotrader. I had it listed for $52,000. No bites. I figured it was because I'm in CT where winter was approaching and I have a convertible.

Then I waited till January and again relisted on eBay and Autotrader and one other site. I reduced it to $49,000. Still no dice.

I then waited till Spring and listed it on Cars.com and Autotrader. I had one interested party, but he was low-balling worse than eBayers at $39,000. No thanks!

So now I'm trying Autotrader again as well as the VCA classifieds here: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=367

It's not approved yet, so you can also check out my Autotrader ad

My question is, why the heck is the Viper so hard to sell? Is it because people search online only using a 25-mile radius and my CT town (Brookfield) isn't near any major cities? I doubt that is the case. I just don't get it.

Yhis is a beautiful car and I "get it" that there are less buyers of an exotic, but it shouldn't take months to sell, should it?

Any advice where else to list it? and is $49,000 asking too much? Personally I still think it's worth more than that, but I need the money.

It is the market. Here in Wallingford I saw a yellow 06 coupe go for 62.5k. Someone took a bath on that car. It had 900 miles and was flawless. If I didn't want a 08 so bad it would be in my garage...

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '02 FE with 6,000 was going to fetch $55k in April, but I decided to keep. I guess the mileage could be scaring some. good luck on the sale!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '02 FE with 6,000 was going to fetch $55k in April, but I decided to keep. I guess the mileage could be scaring some. good luck on the sale!
Keep that car!!! Probably one of the best Vipers ever made. That will be the car to have 20 years from now.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a supercharged 98 GTS, 20,000mi., stoptech brakes, exhaust,Gen3 wheels & like new cond. in Feb. for $51,000. Wrote it off in June and replaced it with a supercharged, etc.(comparable) '01 GTS 2 weeks ago for $55,000. I figure I paid a few thousand extra because it's summer time.

I looked over a 1,000hp, built motor 97 GTS for $59,000 in Feb., but Twin Vipers bought it out before me, in July.

There is a lot of Vipers for sale now.

After shopping for a year I think Red R/T's are the
lowest value Vipers to buy. There seems to be quite a few new Vipers 4 sale at $65,000. That lowers the value of all Vipers.

I agree with all above comments. I'd guess you could probably sell it for $44,500 if you add a 'hook'. Even if all you offered was a title search, you need to show YOUR Viper is different than the other 95 Red R/T's for sale.

Good luck - and congrats on the Daddy thing.

Ted

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2000 GTS with stripes and fewer than 12k miles on it for 45k, less than a month ago. A GTS is FAR more desirable than an RT10. Your RT10 is worth 35k or maybe slightly more. You will never sell it for over 40k. If that ****** you off, your alternative is to keep it and say the hell with the market. I have an '82 vette with low miles and went through a similar experience. They were offering less money than a set of wheels and tires go for on a Viper, so I kept it. Sometimes, it is not worth giving your car away if the market is out to rob you.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some photos from today's gathering. A little of this, and a little of that...a good place perhaps to sell an otherwise hard to sell specialty car.

The silver 'whatzit' as I call it, is owned by the guy whose company transforms late model Corvettes into '53 style Corvettes. This silver machine of his is the one that's supposed to be able to pull 1.9Gs.

The green '32 was driven in by the guy reportedly in charge of Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegance-THE highbrow car show in Metro Detroit each year. Oddly enough his wife/companion kept leaning on my GTS (grrr)

This was only my second trip to the site. I was told that one time recently, McLaren pulled up with some sort of race car hauler and off-loaded 2 race cars and one other street legal machine. All this for a little Saturday AM coffee group in a parking lot that might hold 16 cars.. I guess you just never know who's going to stop by.

Anyway, you might do well to find some unique gatherings like this in CT. I'm sure there are some. Even today, someone admiring my GTS for sale said I was at the right place to try and sell it..

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Price! 49k for a red high mileage RT/10 is too high. The year (97-2002) tends to mean little when you are talking about a GEN 2 Red RT/10. Like it or not there is nothing special about your car. Why wouldn't a prospective buyer not swipe a 98 RT/10 with less miles for mid 30s? 29k miles is high mileage when you are talking about a Viper sale. Flame away if you like, but that's the reality here.

In this market your car is worth 42k at best, and I would say that's because of the year left on the Warranty and that Tator has been taking care of it. You are asking more than I paid for my first GTS with 4000 miles on it 4 years ago from a Dodge dealer....when the Viper market was doing well.

Last edited:

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cars like this are just a pain in the ass to sell. you can wait a yr or so for the right buyer to come along or sell it so cheep that it makes you sick.

in 2002 I sold me 2000 GTS ACR for $55K with 19K miles. Selling it cheep was the only way to move it.

I sold my Lotus last yr for $20,000 UNDER NADA book after trying to sell it at close to book for 6 months.

I think I'm going to start leasing all my cars so I dont have to be bothered with selling them.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper market is soft, just like the housing market. I wonder if the correlation is coincidence.

More than likely...you'd be surprised how often people take out second mortgages, equity lines of credit to pay for their toys. We're seeing many people going into preforeclosure as their adjustable rate HELOCs rise and they can't afford their homes, let alone the toys anymore. Not only are we seeing more for sale signs go up in our town but I've also noticed local dealerships stocking more used Benz, BMWs and other upper scale cars. Lots are full of them.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be lucky to get $45K for my black/silver GTS with 12K miles and a full MaxCare. You will be lucky to unload yours for $39K...

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang onto that car if you're able, the market for just about anything other than neccessities is very soft and as such, now is the time to buy big ticket items, rather than sell.

I'm trying to buy a house and low-balling each seller at least $100k....haven't got one yet, but I will especially as fall nears and their house only got my offer.

There are a lot of economists predicting that spending on items such as luxury cars and large houses will pickup in the spring of 2009....but they're not much better than fortune tellers.

Just be thankful you don't own a used exotic/luxury car dealership and depended on it for paying your bills!!

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Typo on my part. It's 20k miles not 29k. 0 and 9 are right next to each other on the keyboard.

Well, sounds like I should at least get $43,000. Those recommending $39,000 are crazy even if I was at 29k miles. I see very few 2001 Vipers under $40,000. I'm in Fairfield county where everything is jacked up (Greenwich, Stamford, etc).

Out of the twelve 2001 RT/10 in the VCA classifieds mine is the 2nd lowest: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showcat.php?cat=31

Yeah, the housing market is indeed soft so maybe it is affecting luxury cars. Guess i'll try lowering it to $43,000.

I'll miss the Viper, but I'm sure one day I'll get another.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
9000 miles makes a big difference. That typo could cost you several grand. 43k will still be hard. Gen 2 forged GTS cars with under 15000 miles are going for 40-45 all day long.
Good luck with your sale. I wish the market wasn't so bad, I almost got into your situation when I sold my first GTS. I was lucky to find a local buyer who paid only 1 grand less than I wanted. I could have held out and done better but I didn't have to deal with months of flakes and shipping.

I would include exactly how much time the warranty has left and check to see if it can be extended.

Last edited: