Hurst Shifter "Problem"

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hurst Shifter "Height Issue"

Ok, so I've been working on the Viper the past couple weekends doing loads of routine maintenance and adding some goodies.

One of those goodies being a Hurst shifter I got from Tator. The issue I have is it is taller than the stock shifter. I have an MGW knob that is shorter than the stock piece, but with the Hurst mechanism being taller than the stock shifting mechanism, I now have a stock or taller shifter height. The unfortunate thing about this is the Hurst unit is all one piece, whereas the isolator is a separate piece on the stock shifter unit.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what knob's are you using? If I just had the "knob" portion of my MGW shifter I would be fine, but it won't separate from the shaft (and I don't think it is meant to). After reading the directions, it appears this unit is designed to use the Hurst shift knobs.

Ok, promise, I won't say knob again in this post. :D

Last edited:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Adam,
If the Hurst is taller than you'd prefer, you could always cut down the shaft, just make sure you leave enough threads to secure a knob. That's what I did when I installed a Hurst in my Z06. Actually, some knobs don't screw on at all, so you could actually cut off a decent amount if you chose, but you'd limit your selection of shifter knobs.

I installed the B&M in my Viper, but that was only because the place I ordered it from was out of the Hurst! I'm happy with the B&M, and it was 2pc. - you could use the stock isolator handle or the B&M supplied handle.

I have a Hurst black cue ball knob in new condition if you're interested.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hurst Shifter "Height Issue"

what knob's are you using?
I used a B&M shift knob on my Hurst shifter. I think that the shape fits the hand better than the Hurst round knob. They're available as leather covered also.

9783Viper_Hurst_Shifter_B_M_knob_009.jpg

Last edited:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also used the B&M shifter and cut down the shaft 2 inches with my die grinder then drilled the shaft center out and tapped it to the same threads... works great. If you don't have the tools then most shops should.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my MGW knob and cut off the stalk and left only the knob. That allowed it to go down about 1/2 inch more. Lost the ability to lock it down but I have had no problems with it coming loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather