I feel like I'm learning to drive all over again!

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLY got the new (to me) Viper out and drove to work today. Woooooooo hooooooooo!!!

It's been raining cats and freakin' dogs here the last 2.5 days.

After about 150 miles in the seat I'm FINALLY getting to the point I can heel-toe on downshifts. The offset pedal placement has really thrown my muscle memory for a loop! Anyone else have a learning curve on heel-toeing with the offset pedals?

I've owned and tracked C5 Vettes since 2001 and know that car inside and out. To GM's credit I find the pedal placement very conducive to h/t downshifts. The brake is slightly above the gas pedal so when depressed they are nearly even. I get in the Viper and feel like I'm learning to drive all over again! :drive:

Still a good problem to have :) What a ride!

Jon

PS. Why is it so quiet? :dunno: :lmao: Time for some mods...

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is your exhaust stock :eater:

Yep, will change that.

and i just roll my ankle and use the edge/side of my shoe v. trying to get the sole on both pedals (hope that makes sense)

Yeah, makes sense. That's the trouble I'm having because under braking the brake is below the gas pedal, so combined with the offset toward the left I lack the ankle flexibility to keep the sole of my foot on both pedals. I think I just need more practice!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pedal placement ***** on a gen-2. Autovation pedals may help. They have a large left side tab on the gas pedal to help heel and toe. However a Viper is not dainty euro trash. Pound the clutch in and EASE off of it a little and forget about H and T. Dump the clutch on a down shift and you might get a little RW slide. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the placement is a challenge.

I'll look into the Autovation pedals and spend some more time learning this girl too.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modifying the gas pedal is the best way to go......you can do it with the stock pedal but it takes more practice.

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modifying the gas pedal is the best way to go......you can do it with the stock pedal but it takes more practice.

Yeah, I checked out the Autovation pedals and those look good. I think the bottom extension on the throttle pedal is what the Dr. ordered.

Thanks for the help/links!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen2's are ANIMALS..

i drove a gen2 for a year or so and then got a gen3 and was driving that for six months or so. My buddy got a gen2 and told me I could drive it down the 1/4 mile. Im thinking no problem Ive been there and done that after owning a gen2 my self and still haveing a gen3.

I pressed the gas in the gen2 and that thing jumped out on me like crazy. Like trying to ride a Bull...LOL

Takes a while for us all.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Gen 2, with my racing experience I found the best way is to ROLL your right foot over to the gas pedal for the blips instead of rotating it. The pedals are close together and I found it much easier for precise down shifts and rev matching than my current Gen 4 which requires the standard heel toe exercise. Give it a try.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be scared to drive my car, it has been over 1.5 years! :(

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Gen 2, with my racing experience I found the best way is to ROLL your right foot over to the gas pedal for the blips instead of rotating it. The pedals are close together and I found it much easier for precise down shifts and rev matching than my current Gen 4 which requires the standard heel toe exercise. Give it a try.

Thanks!

Yes that's what I do with my Vette too.

The challenge I'm having is the pedal offset to the left side. My ankle is already partially rolled to get over to the brake. Does that make sense?

I'm also finding the spring on the gas pedal is very light... the thing is like a feather compared to the Vette. Because of this you don't get much tactile feel in the pedal when you go to blip it.

Still, I'm getting the hang of it... it just takes practice.