I know Nick posts here sometimes...

estelius

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

HERE ARE SOME BEFORE PICTURES OF THE SUPRA AND NICK'S VIPERS. HE'S GOT A PRETTY GOOD COLLECTION, HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if his Dad is beating himself up for getting his son into powerful cars?

They both came to our VCA meeting this year. Real nice people.

DSC05711.JPG

DSC05746.JPG

DSC05716.JPG

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the facts other than what's being published, but if this can be chalked up as "bad judgment", when does an act that SERIOUSLY endangers the life of another person get listed as "recklessly irresponsible"...perhaps even "homicidal"?
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think homicide would imply criminal intent... as in he set out to hurt someone. If a person is just dumb and kills someone, it would be considered manslaughter.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think homicide would imply criminal intent... as in he set out to hurt someone. If a person is just dumb and kills someone, it would be considered manslaughter.

Correct. Any update on the passenger ?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've proved me to be a legal criminal amateur. My mistake.

Notwithstanding my improper terminology, hopefully I still made my point.

OP
OP
K

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, I think there's virtually no one here who either hasn't street raced or didn't wreck a car doing something really stupid as a teenager. I'm just really lucky to be able to say that my mistakes never resulted in anyone getting hurt and weren't in the media. However, with some of the stupid **** I did as a kid, believe me, that's just luck. The worst repercussions I ever had were my dad kicking my ass (thank God he wasn't Hulk Hogan).

Good judgment comes from experience, which just happens to come from bad judgment. Funny how that works, isn't it. I'm not trying to justify the situation, because obviously it was a mistake, but let's not all break out the torches and pitchforks here. Hopefully everyone's in one piece and this will be the learning experience of a lifetime.

So who's gonna be the big *** who jumps up and pounds his chest and claims to have never done any burnouts or street racing or have wrecked a car driving over his head as a kid? I know it's coming.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, I think there's virtually no one here who either hasn't street raced or didn't wreck a car doing something really stupid as a teenager. I'm just really lucky to be able to say that my mistakes never resulted in anyone getting hurt and weren't in the media. However, with some of the stupid **** I did as a kid, believe me, that's just luck. The worst repercussions I ever had were my dad kicking my ass (thank God he wasn't Hulk Hogan).

Good judgment comes from experience, which just happens to come from bad judgment. Funny how that works, isn't it. I'm not trying to justify the situation, because obviously it was a mistake, but let's not all break out the torches and pitchforks here. Hopefully everyone's in one piece and this will be the learning experience of a lifetime.

So who's gonna be the big *** who jumps up and pounds his chest and claims to have never done any burnouts or street racing or have wrecked a car driving over his head as a kid? I know it's coming.

That about sums it up.

Although I will say I never did anything remotely stupid like getting arrested for reckless driving, disorderly conduct, or simple assault. :rolleyes:

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. Any update on the passenger ?
A LEO on another forum that works that area said, (which is not a medical proffesional)"if he lives, he will have no value of a meaningful life".
You must be registered for see images attach

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I totally agree with exactly what your saying. **** happens, NICK happens to be a much better driver with more experience than many of us on the track/drift course. When someone wrecks their Viper (in nicks case his supra), all of the sudden everyone is saying "HOPEFULLY LESSON LEARNED" come on, just like the guy who was ejected from his twin turbo viper, wrecked it, survived after the hospital, posted on here looking for support, and yet we have the BALLS to say hopefully you learned your lesson :rolleyes: see what happens when you do this or that bla bla bla.... When something happens to a fellow VIPER owner, we should comfort and wish the best to them, vs giving them a hard time, and trying to teach them a lesson. Most of the guys that have been in Viper accidents, probably learned their lessons

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If someone does step up and say they have never driven "stupid", we should track them down and take their Viper (and any other performance vehicles they own). Just like a Viper doesn't have traction control (as it wouldn't be a Viper) a Viper driver who takes out their car out for a Sunday drive and doesn't have some real fun should be promptly removed from Viper ownership. These cars are what they are, and to not have some fun would truly be a crime. You must also respect the car, and unfortunately that comes with experience. If I would have had this kind of automotive performance as a kid...I might not be here today.

Also, people sometimes love to hate kids whose parents have money. Mine didn't have any money, but I sure wish they did. Somehow we think we should hold “rich” kids to a higher standard...but remember they are still kids, trying to make their way in this world. Every kid makes some bad decisions...no matter how good they are. Sometimes it affects others and that is a shame. I am sorry for the guy in the car with Nick, but I am sure he knew exactly what he was getting himself into when they were doing whatever it was they were actually doing...(sorry about the talk around there). Accidents happen whether they were racing or not, I am sure he has learned a very costly lesson. And on the criminal behavior thing, that is exactly why minors are not held to the same standards as we adults are...they are given far more chances.

Oh...and I know some will jump on me and say that is what a track is for, but the track isn't open everyday, nor I am looking to race the entire time I am driving. Just a few spirited minutes and I am good. Give me some new twisties, and I am happy. The same old course gets quite boring.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The worst repercussions I ever had were my dad kicking my ass (thank God he wasn't Hulk Hogan).

Based on this case it sounds like I would have been more afraid of your dad than I would be of Hulk Hogan.

Vipers, Supras and Lambos for a 17-year-old? I went to high school in a 16-year-old 1960 Chevy six ******. My dad wouldn't have let me own a V8 even if I had my own money to buy one.

And as I said before, "Thank you very much Dad!!!"

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on this case it sounds like I would have been more afraid of your dad than I would be of Hulk Hogan.

Vipers, Supras and Lambos for a 17-year-old? I went to high school in a 16-year-old 1960 Chevy six ******. My dad wouldn't have let me own a V8 even if I had my own money to buy one.

LOL...I went to a high school in my day's '67 Harvestor dump truck complete with bondo patches, rust and concrete stains. Looking back, I wish I kept that truck.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<<<< '76 Volare 6 cyl sedan - complete w/ vinyl top. What a creamsled. Sigh....

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm sure i wasnt the greatest driver in my teens. who is?

but i certainly had enough common sense not to drive 82 in a 45 mph construction zone. :bonker:

OP
OP
K

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah, if it wasn't for my Dad kicking my ass, I would definitely fall into the dead or in jail category.

You've met my dad, Chuck---when we were at Mary's house after the storm helping her get her Viper.

I remember doing something stupid one time and landing my butt in the ER. When my dad found out I was gonna be OK, he told the doctor that was good, because he was gonna kill me when he got me home. One of those times when you hug your kid and then knock the hell out of them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, if it wasn't for my Dad kicking my ass, I would definitely fall into the dead or in jail category.

You've met my dad, Chuck---when we were at Mary's house after the storm helping her get her Viper.

I remember doing something stupid one time and landing my butt in the ER. When my dad found out I was gonna be OK, he told the doctor that was good, because he was gonna kill me when he got me home. One of those times when you hug your kid and then knock the hell out of them.

I took my brother's 64 Buick out for a spin in the dead of winter. That hole in the muffler sounded just like a race car I swear. While sitting in the backseat of a cop car after totalling the Buick my dad walked up, leaned towards the cop in the driver's seat and said, "Take him to jail" and then walked away.

100% true story.

OP
OP
K

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took my brother's 64 Buick out for a spin in the dead of winter. That hole in the muffler sounded just like a race car I swear. While sitting in the backseat of a cop car after totalling the Buick my dad walked up, leaned towards the cop in the driver's seat and said, "Take him to jail" and then walked away.

100% true story.

At that point you were probably relieved to go to jail instead of home. One of my buddies who is a former master chief in the Navy called me recently because his 18 year old son got arrested---actually, his son (who he's very close with and who lives with him) had been arrested the night before, but the dad didn't find out about it until the next day because despite unfettered access to telephones, the kid rathered to stay in jail then have his dad come get him out.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 82 in a 45 construction zone thing is misleading - they're redoing a strip of I-10 here in Tucson and it's marked a 55 zone, but I could easily go 80 through there because it's one/two lanes of traffic for 10 miles, all exits blocked off, and no workers present.

Speeding tickets (in almost every case) are erroneous and do not accurately reflect the level of danger that the ticket-reciever was presenting to the public.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with that. I was ticketed in Indiana for speeding in a construction zone but the construction zone had ended and there were no more workers or barrels. Just a sign every mile or so keeping the construction speed limits so they could pass out tickets. Just another form of taxation.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about the construction zone designation as oftentimes being a profitable revenue generator for governmental entities.

GTS Dean can comment better than most about the dangers associated with road construction though, so I would defer to him on that subject.

Coincidentally, there is a Hogan Knows Best marathon on VH-1 tonight.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with that. I was ticketed in Indiana for speeding in a construction zone but the construction zone had ended and there were no more workers or barrels. Just a sign every mile or so keeping the construction speed limits so they could pass out tickets. Just another form of taxation.

So you're saying the construction zone was clearly marked with speed limits but you chose to ignore them and got caught? And you blame taxation for it? :D

My dad works on the night crew paving CT highways. Just because there are no barrels and no workers present when you drive through a work zone doesn't mean there's no construction zone there...Usually, the crew enters the work zone about 5 miles or more ahead of the starting point, depending on how much they pave each night. That means they're hauling machinery, gear, lights, trucks and more importantly crew from that area, they enter backwards and work forward throughout the night. Can't tell you how many stories I've heard about from my dad and troopers regarding how people speed throught the work zone and cause the workers harm. The signs are there to protect the workers and yourself. There aren't nearly enough troopers (at least in CT) to be sitting in fake construction zone simply to hand out tickets for taxation purposes...they'd tell you they have much better things to do. Taxation, can't wait to tell my dad that one! :2tu:

Last edited:

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotta agree with CarDude here. I'm sure if he could rewind the days events, he would have done things differently. I think everyone needs to lighten up a little and have some compassion. Everyone messes up now and again and we all learn form our mistakes. I lost control of my viper about 10 months ago playing around on the highway at a high rate of speed, but was fortunate not to hit anything or take anyone out and I'm twice his age. Even us "mature" people mess up sometimes. I couldn't imagine having access to a car like this at 17 and not messing up.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotta agree with CarDude here. I'm sure if he could rewind the days events, he would have done things differently. I think everyone needs to lighten up a little and have some compassion. Everyone messes up now and again and we all learn form our mistakes. I lost control of my viper about 10 months ago playing around on the highway at a high rate of speed, but was fortunate not to hit anything or take anyone out and I'm twice his age. Even us "mature" people mess up sometimes. I couldn't imagine having access to a car like this at 17 and not messing up.

I'm with you RedLiner...Heck...at 18 I was arrested for racing and evading police. Had I pulled over, I would've gotten a ticket but I panicked and made a run for it in my parents beat up Mercury Zephyr...not sure what I was thinking :) . When the local police found out who my father was...they all came by and said "I'm wish nobody was in your shoes right now" as they waited for my dad to come pick me up from jail.

My response was to the mature driver who blames taxation for getting a speeding ticket in a construction zone that was marked...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're saying the construction zone was clearly marked with speed limits but you chose to ignore them and got caught? And you blame taxation for it? :D

Yes there was a speed limit sign. Well over a mile after the barrels ended and just past a hill where the cop was waiting. It was a TRAP! The sign was pointed out to me as proof that I should have known. I went back over it later and found no sign between the real end of construction and the trap. This was at 10 in the morning in a low density region on a freeway just inside of Indiana when coming from Michigan. The construction speed limit continued for more than 5 miles after the barrels stopped.

I agree completely with being sane when in a real construction area. But what Indiana was doing was taxation pure and simple.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4