Installed MOPAR PCM and all I can say is WOW!!

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the street I prefer the rougher stock PCM, but at the strip the Controller makes a big difference.

Interesting. I don't go to the track much. I do like the popping on decel but an additional 16 hp/27 tq and smoother performance sounds good. Do others miss the rough feel and sound of the standard PCM? Thanks for the comments.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cop Magnet, Mark J is the expert but here's my 2 cents;

I also was told I could swap the original and Mopar PCM whenever desired. However, I wonder how long it takes to recalibrate when you do so?

I think once the initial calibration is done to the performance ECU it's done? I've swapped a couple of times (thinking I had a computer issue), and the throttle response and the lack of exhaust popping were instant

Also, how long does it take to adapt to new fuel? If I load up with a 95 octane mix at the track, does the computer make the adjustments instantly, or is it 30-40 miles in various conditions? If it's the latter, it may be a waste of time.

As soon as it starts to combust, the computer is adjusting the timing based many readings including the octane

I have only driven with the Mopar PCM, as Mark installed it at delivery. My idle hangs in a weird way: it "bounces" down to idle when you are at rest, and surges up when you first let off the gas. It's been 1k miles, so it should be broken in. Anyone else have this issue?

Can't answer this one on the idle, but the computer should learn within the first 20-30 miles.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't go to the track much. I do like the popping on decel but an additional 16 hp/27 tq and smoother performance sounds good. Do others miss the rough feel and sound of the standard PCM? Thanks for the comments.

If you like the popping, don't buy the PCM, it will be gone. I'm not sure what the "rough feel" is, but I do like the improved throttle response. What I don't like is the price of 93 octane here in CA, I mix 100 and 91 to get 93.25 (25/75). Unleaded 100 near me is $8.99 a gallon. If you don't run 93 there is no more power, you'll just get better throttle response, but you'll lose the sound you like. As for power a number of folks around here including myself have seen gains more like 9 hp/14 trq with headers and exhaust.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love that popping.Sounds so bad.Everone looks.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1

Reaction score
The Belangers, Corsa, and PCM will pop on decel if you let off at +5800 rpm. When I go to the track and get to use the upper end of 3-5th the decel popping is wicked loud at the end of the straights. Have any of you had this or are they all quiet?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, the only time I've been on the track with the PCM I couldn't get past 5300 (thanks for the help!!). When I ran it on the highway to test the repairs, I didn't remember it popping. (I've got the belanger cats and mufflers). Going to Vegas this weekend, I'll try it on I-5 as well at Spring Mountain. Mike

G

Gotvenom 08

Same mods here and it does indeed pop on decel.Wind it out in 3rd/4th and let off and like you said Mark,sounds wicked!Gotta love it.Also if I let off in second when around 6000 rpm it also pops. But I only do that to wake the neighbor hood up.:D

The Belangers, Corsa, and PCM will pop on decel if you let off at +5800 rpm. When I go to the track and get to use the upper end of 3-5th the decel popping is wicked loud at the end of the straights. Have any of you had this or are they all quiet?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Posted this clip a while back.

This should give you a pretty good idea what a 2009 sounds like when decelerating from about 6000 rpm.

Car has Belangers, Corsa Track, K & N's and Mopar race controller.

http://www.socalviper.com/images/Vid...20Speedway.wmv

Turn the sound up, you'll like it!

Dan

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should have no problems spanking your neigbors z06 and the stock 08 made my 06 feel slow,the 08 is a beast

Good luck with that - the Z is one fierce opponent. I have an 08Z and an 08 viper. It would be a drivers race, regardless of the upgrade.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had no popping sound after the MOPAR controller has been installed.
HF cats installed now and NO popping.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does a dealer/tech usually charge to do the install? I have mine in a box and ready to install...thanks.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAILWAG;2755900[B said:
]How much does a dealer/tech usually charge to do the[/b] install? I have mine in a box and ready to install...thanks.

$100.00, two local quotes. Install is 5 minutes, The programming and quick road test is an hour?

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$100.00, two local quotes. Install is 5 minutes, The programming and quick road test is an hour?

awesome!! I need to take it in to get one of my seats replaced, so that will be the best time to get this done... :drive::drive::drive:

Did you go on the test drive I assume? I don't know if I would trust anyone to go and "test and tune" on that car...:dunno:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I didn't but we're fortunate to have DC and Stack here that have great reputations. Test drive is 1 mile?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished with my break in miles and I'm considering the Moper PCM. I'd like to hear from others that have upgraded their controller.....does everyone notice the same big improvement as FastGuy? I have a Corsa and 3.55s and I'm looking for improved response. Thanks for the comments.

Wish I could concur with everyone else's great results but installing the Mopar PCM on my car made zero difference in peak power and actually lost power under the curve where the largest improvements were supposed to be seen. Tried different octane and gas mixtures but the results were the same. All the other features seem to work as advertised though and the throttle response seems to have been improved somewhat. No more decel popping which I kinda miss.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you go on the test drive I assume? I don't know if I would trust anyone to go and "test and tune" on that car...:dunno:

I drove the car and the Tech was getting info from his laptop connected to the OBD port. You will have to decelerate from 50 to 20 in second gear a few times, and you will have first hand impressions if the car performs good.
Better be 2 onboard for this process.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove the car and the Tech was getting info from his laptop connected to the OBD port. You will have to decelerate from 50 to 20 in second gear a few times, and you will have first hand impressions if the car performs good.
Better be 2 onboard for this process.

thanks...this helps a lot. This is what I might do. We do have local Viper Guru that has all the new scan tool...I might do it with him.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will my '08 still pass emissions/inspection? I use it mostly on the road here in Big-D, only about 5-6 times a year on the track.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>I drove the car and the Tech was getting info from his laptop connected to the OBD port. You will have to decelerate from 50 to 20 in second gear a few times<<<

YeP!

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was thinking of doing this, but no more decel popping??? Disliked it at first but now it's music to my ears. Is it really gone with the Mopar PCM?

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love that popping.Sounds so bad.Everone looks.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1

I like the popping too - mine pops more with the 3.33s - will it be gone with those gears as well?

What about with the headers? :drive:

BTW: Has anyone done an exhaust test with and without this controller just to find out how different the numbers actually are? That would be interesting info.

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it void your warranty? And if I'm reading correctly, it's illegal for street use?

"This device is not legal for use on pollution-controlled
vehicles certified for use on streets or highways. Once
this device is installed, use of the vehicle on a street or
highway is a violation of the Clean Air Act, potentially
subjecting the operator and the installer to civil penalties
of up to $32,500 per vehicle depending on the
circumstances"