Installed Valve Cover Breathers

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the X Metal Valve covers but I had a lot of blow by and few oil leaks and I thought for sure I had a bad seal in the SC system. Trying to eliminate the problem I installed a catch can and this really helped but I did not like the long hose running from each valve cover to the can.

Since the can had no oil (puke) collecting in it I installed a small breather on each valve cover and this eliminated the hoses, blow by problem, and the oil leaks.

Here are a few pics of the breather install. For the time being I left the catch can and hose clamps installed. The 1st pic shows the long hose on each valve cover connected to the Jazz catch can-this worked ok but not as good as the two breathers shown in the rest of the pics.

viper1_061_edited-1.jpg

100_2019_edited-1.jpg

100_2021_edited-1.jpg
100_2015_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sun glasses do help-as dark as you can get.:)

It is a lot of bling but not quite as much in person.

The Valve Covers do not have baffle's so this is the reason for the blow by problem.

I also like the X Metal throttle body but I am having a little problem with surging at low speeds. I need to make a few more adjustments.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's a lot of bling under the hood. Pretty though .....

Like the mounting points for your Moton cannisters too.

Do you track this car? If no, you should be OK without the baffles in the valve covers. If yes, you may indeed puke some oil.

I've struggled with oil puke issues with my Paxton car and finally solved it by installing a center of the valve cover (both sides) breather attachment made by Exotic engine and running lines to a catch can. They also modded the valve cover baffles by sealing up the area around the top and sides and leaving the bottom open. No more oil puke issues.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan-thanks for the good info.

Very little tracking - I will make some visits to the 1/4 mile drag track soon at Beech Bend in Bowling Green Ky.

If the problem does surface again we may have to modify the valve covers.

The area that I was getting the oil leak was around the grommet, that holds the sensor, just before the throttle body. Leaking bad especially under wot. With the breathers no leak at all even under wot.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hiss,

Another thought for you. If you keep the breathers at the rear of the valve covers, oil will be forced back towards them under extended heavy throttle, like at the drags. You may puke a little oil.

If you put them in the front of the valve covers, oil will be forced towards them under heavy braking, like on a road course, you will puke a bunch of oil.

The middle of the valve covers on top is the best spot for a breather.

Hope you don't have any more issues.

Dan

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right

I am going to watch it very close especially under wot. This is one of the reasons I left the catch can installed. If I start getting oil in the breathers I will reconnect valve covers to catch can.

BTW-I have the hose running to the underside of the plenum plugged. Would their be any advantage of running this hose to the catch can with the breathers still connected to valve covers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960