Interior Noise

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several of the press reporting on development cars have mentioned the interior noise from the exhausts as being uncomfortable. I'm wondering if a valved exhaust which would direct exhaust to the side outlets or to a rear outlet would be an interesting after market offering. If the design is done correctly, the rear facing exhaust could add to the down force by blowing over the rear areo aids.

New Gen V owners will give us a better understanding of the interior noise. Perhaps it was just a development car item.:2tu:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the videos I've seen the sound in the cabin hasn't been too loud.

But, it is a 8.4L V10 with exhaust ports by the driver and passenger.

If you buy it and cry about it being loud, you are an idiot.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a valved exhaust which would direct exhaust to the side outlets or to a rear outlet would be an interesting after market offering. If the design is done correctly, the rear facing exhaust could add to the down force by blowing over the rear areo aids.

Seriously??? LOL

Bill

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.......and here I am considering corsa or mopar exhaust to make it LOUDER LOL....the sound is 1/3 of the fun...other bad thing about rear exhaust is the pipes are longer so u add more weight....keep 'em short...keep 'em on the side....and keep 'em loud:headbang:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting that SRT went with side exhausts.

What was the reason?

1. Weight?

2. History?

3. Cosmetics?

The negative is obviously the sound, since you are located so close to the exit. I also wonder why they excluded the intercoonect pipe between the two exhausts, that would have made it quieter. I am not against the sound since I plan to go catless, but, I realize it may be an issue for some.

.......and here I am considering corsa or mopar exhaust to make it LOUDER LOL....the sound is 1/3 of the fun...other bad thing about rear exhaust is the pipes are longer so u add more weight....keep 'em short...keep 'em on the side....and keep 'em loud:headbang:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a comment in a recent review that the GTS sound-reducing some how made the exhaust sound worst. I am not sure whether they meant tone or volume?

All these comments on exhaust sound are all influenced by personal opinions and past experiences. I like a loud car. My Gen II is about as loud as it gets (no cats or mufflers), but, the sound goes out the back. i don't know how much I would like it if that same volume came out the side.

The GTS model has additional sound deading that would help. I'm curious to see how loud it actually is.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 96 Coupes and RT/10's had rear exhaust. They had a small cross over by the rear resonators. Many still took off resonators and more.
These sounded pretty good, but there was always a call to return to the beloved side pipes. They were kind of a Viper signature, and the factory obviously agreed.

In 03 the vert was released with a large cross over, where the left pipe ended up exhausting on the right side, and the right pipe on the left. The cross over blended the two pipes to aid in tuning and to give a more pleasant sound.

Again, many took out the large heavy cross over to reduce weight, and also reduce the large amount of heat it radiated into the cabin.

Driving down the street, most all Vipers have a pretty cool sound. There is some complaint on the interior, as the driver or passenger only get to hear one side of the exhaust. This sometimes can give a blatt that the writers comment on.

Lots of aftermarket pipes are available for those who wish to drive to the beat of a different drummer.

The latest Vipers have pretty cool sounding exhausts, but since the cars themselves run a bit quieter, perhaps that is what the writers are referring too.

For myself, I get a pretty wonderful feeling every time I punch the red start button, and the massive v/10 kicks over on the first beat. Priceless.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting that SRT went with side exhausts.

What was the reason?

1. Weight?

2. History?

3. Cosmetics?

The negative is obviously the sound, since you are located so close to the exit. I also wonder why they excluded the intercoonect pipe between the two exhausts, that would have made it quieter. I am not against the sound since I plan to go catless, but, I realize it may be an issue for some.

I always assumed they did the side exhaust as a tribute to the Cobra.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at a Gen2, those exhaust pipes in the rear are a lot of weight and fairly complicated. They make it hotter under the back half of the car. They also make some work harder under the back. There are a lot pluses for side exhausts.

On the other side of the ledger, the engine tone is far better with rear exhausts and the exhaust noise is directed away from the driver.

I always assumed they did the side exhaust as a tribute to the Cobra.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The technical term for these complaining scribes........................wimps!!! Nuff said and personal thanks to SRT for listening to those MoPar Motorheads for making the best sounding Snake in years !!

OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

IMO, I am one of the kind of wimp that is going to make or break the Viper as a business case. Wanting to be able to option or use after market items to create a high speed GT that enables my wife and I to make long trips is IMO exactly what the GTS is all about. Nor can my post be in anyway considered a complaint. I repeated a comment that those who have driven a development Viper have made. I asked for confirming evidence from owners of production Vipers when the cars become available and I suggested a possible remedy from the after market that would end up adding to the performance of the car.

As I recall, you stated that cars optioned from the GTS base have dominated your initial orders, not the SRT base. Are all these customers wimps?

IMO, the SRT in all its variations and the coming ARC serve the more track performance oriented buyers nicely.

IMO, there's room for all in the Viper Nation.

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Several of the press reporting on development cars have mentioned the interior noise from the exhausts as being uncomfortable. I'm wondering if a valved exhaust which would direct exhaust to the side outlets or to a rear outlet would be an interesting after market offering. If the design is done correctly, the rear facing exhaust could add to the down force by blowing over the rear areo aids.

New Gen V owners will give us a better understanding of the interior noise. Perhaps it was just a development car item.:2tu:

Gents

If you loved the traditional Viper with no sound-absorbing materials on board, and all the raucous road noise, then buy the elemental SRT Viper. It is fast as h*ll with all those traditional noises. But frankly, most everyone I know would pick the Viper GTS, which carries some added sound-absorbing material, and is noticeably quieter inside the cockpit. Inside the GTS, you hear more of the V10 exhaust, and less of the other 'bad road rash noise'. This is really a good thing you cannot appreciate until you have driven both cars.

The beautiful thing about SRT Engineering is that the new GTS model, even with it's modern civility, is still lighter than the Gen 4 car, and with more power (and better gear ratios, and far stiffer space frame, etc...). Need we say more?

It is good when engineers invest their working lives into the things we love. ;)

On the noise point, relax: the GTS is still FAR louder than most every other car on the planet (it is a Viper, after all...) But inside the GTS, you hear more of the V10 music, and less of the annoying 'road noise' which is what you hear in race cars, and historic Vipers. The GTS makes a small but significant step toward Viper civility!

So, if want the lightest, fastest race car you can buy, without regard to civility: SRT Viper is your winning car. On the other hand, if you would like SRT to drop in a small amount of civility (and a large amount of leather ;) ), then check the 'GTS' box.

Either way, you will be pleased. America's Supercar boldly lives on! (and thanks for listening)

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cant' expect (or want) an 8.4 L V10 to sound like a Lexus. Sometimes I would like to have a valve to bypass the mufflers. :headbang:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Scribes wrote the complaint not you BeenThere, and the noise is not even objectionable. Driven them three times and many others have also, and you and your wife have no worries about the GTS. Comment is towards writers ( not you )who seem to have to stretch to find something to gripe about , and though the SRT is a bit louder, the GTS should not offend anyone.

OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.
I'm a Viper fanatic who wants the Viper Nation to be open to an expanding membership, core folks from way back when and new folks from now. I was a fairly active fan until the fights that took place on this forum with the introduction of the Gen III styling. I don't want to see that happen again. The Gen V is too good and Team Viper is doing great work. As well, I can't say enough good about the SRT leadership and Chrysler upper level management. I respect them all.
My question was not academic. The wife says go for it. The financial advisor says, looks like things are coming around. Maybe even the stars are lining up. It will be a GTS and if an auto comes out soon, it'll probably be that as the wife has problems with her knees that an auto can help (she knows how to drive a stick). :2tu:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.
I'm a Viper fanatic who wants the Viper Nation to be open to an expanding membership, core folks from way back when and new folks from now. I was a fairly active fan until the fights that took place on this forum with the introduction of the Gen III styling. I don't want to see that happen again. The Gen V is too good and Team Viper is doing great work. As well, I can't say enough good about the SRT leadership and Chrysler upper level management. I respect them all.
My question was not academic. The wife says go for it. The financial advisor says, looks like things are coming around. Maybe even the stars are lining up. It will be a GTS and if an auto comes out soon, it'll probably be that as the wife has problems with her knees that an auto can help (she knows how to drive a stick). :2tu:

I'm totally with you on the fights, we had our share on the Gen V. Everyone seems to be playing well together now, LOL.

Congrats on getting the green light on a GTS. Doubt an auto will come out, at least for a few years. I hear the clutch effort is lighter now. It won't be long until they will be showing up at dealerships, perhaps as soon as today! 50 "dealer" GTS Vipers are part of the first run. I've been told that the dealers are to allow test drives and can't sell them for 6 months, so you'll get a chance to try one out before buying.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This snake is for Viper nation not for new owners who whine about things that will not make it a Viper.
cry me a river for the V8s, rear exhaust, fancier dashboards, meh...

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm totally with you on the fights, we had our share on the Gen V. Everyone seems to be playing well together now, LOL.

Congrats on getting the green light on a GTS. Doubt an auto will come out, at least for a few years. I hear the clutch effort is lighter now. It won't be long until they will be showing up at dealerships, perhaps as soon as today! 50 "dealer" GTS Vipers are part of the first run. I've been told that the dealers are to allow test drives and can't sell them for 6 months, so you'll get a chance to try one out before buying.

Good point Venom V - to all of you interested in Gen 5 - go drive the dealer special edition cars!

Your dedicated SRT Viper dealers have ordered 50 new GTS model cars with the gorgeous Laguna Sepia interiors inside Adrenaline Red cars, just to show them to you potential buyers. So stop dreaming and start living; go check them out! Smell the interior of these cars and note that they smell gorgeous inside! Holy crap do they smell good (really); as much as I love my Gen 4 Viper, I have to admit that my car smells like plastic inside... Then drive the Gen 5 car (if you are so lucky) and see how much lighter the new Viper is (you can feel it, guys - it's surprising). Then decide for yourself what America's latest big bore Aluminum block, carbon skinned super car is worth. Oh, and check out the 18-speaker, surround sound, 4-sub-woofer, HD stereo too ;) even with all this, the car is still 80 lbs lighter than the Gen 4 Viper. Only 5 lbs per horsepower.

Trust me, just go check it out. You'll leave with an American Supercar permanent grin on your face. I'm just saying.. (and thanks for listening)

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Bill, how different does this Gev V really sound? From the little that I have seen on YouTube, I thought it sounded basically the same as the Viper V10 has always been (at least from Gen III). I think it sounds fine and appreciate its uniqueness.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FWIW, my 2013 LE is, at times (but not always), louder than my 2000 GTS w/ Belanger headers, Random Technology cats, and Corsa cat back. It's also louder than my 2009 VOI 10 (bone stock exhaust).

I think what the magazines are noticing is a resonance that occurs at certain RPMs and throttle positions. At low throttle levels, there's a resonance at roughly 2K to 2.25K, which may be why the 2013 runs a little higher revs in 6th gear (to stay out of that area?) than the 2009.

But the most noticeable resonance is under heavy throttle from roughly 3K to maybe 5K? I haven't pinpointed it exactly. But it is really obvious what is happening. There is a point during this range where you only hear one side of the exhaust and when that happens it suddenly sounds louder/boomier (aka resonance). Then once you push through that range, suddenly you hear both sides again which seems to cause some noise cancellation.

Today I decided to see if it was any different with both windows open slightly. I think that actually reduces the resonance a fair amount.

My bet is SRT will probably make a change to quiet down a few spots in the RPM range in order to attract the buyers they are aiming for. Other than that one minor issue, I think the level of sophistication is right on par with where SRT is aiming.

P.S. At least one reviewer attributed the issue to hearing just 5 cylinders with an odd firing pattern. I think that's BS. I have a similar issue (actually quite a bit worse) with my 66 GT350 race car, which has side pipes (but no mufflers). After racing that car for an afternoon, my ears ring like I just got back from a Led Zeppelin concert. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456