iPhone kit?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with a Kenwood KIV-701 - no CD player, but I never use CDs anymore, so all I wanted was a good iPod interface. It's a single DIN, so fitment is no issue.

You can always do a double DIN unit, but those require a bit more work to make fit.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's a good quality replacement unit with no fitment issues that does all the above?

Pretty much any upper end model from one of the big manufacturers. Kenwood, Clarion, Pioneer, etc. Go over to Crutchfield and take your pick of whichever you think looks best.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I may go that route eventually but for now I wanted to stick to the stock look. I never use the thing when driving around town anyway, it's only for the long boring road trips when I'll need it. :)

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look at the 'CableJive dockStubz Charge Converter and 30-pin Pass Through Adapter for iPhone, iPod, and iPad' or similar device on Amazon. It plugs in between the iPod Integration Kit's connector and your iPhone and should resolve the issue with the charging while still allowing all other iPhone functionality.

Worked like a charm! :D

So the only issue left is that it's an iPod kit and not an iPhone kit (i.e. it's designed to control it via the radio) but I pretty much knew that going in, especially since the kit came out pre-iPhone.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm... I wonder if this would work. Looks like you can maintain regular FM/AM radio function via the female connection, and also input from a regular headphone jack. The website gears it towards your handheld sattelite radio, but the device shouldn't know the difference between that and an iPhone...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607FMDA25/FM-Direct-Adapter.html?tp=1701

This kit comes with a 3.5mm line in jack which I partially forgot about. *facepalm*

Yes, you could certainly play Pandora via that but I'm not sure if you'd have to unplug the phone or not to enable the port. I'll find a cord and try it out tonight.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aha, there we go! The headphone jack / line in works perfectly for Pandora, etc. So really the only fault with this kit is not being able to control your actual music via the iPhone.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone else subscribed to this thread, I will be buying the wired FM direct adapter through Crutchfield and trying that in the near future with a stock 6 disc non-nav radio and iPhone 4s. The phone should operate just like you're wearing headphones.

Thats the way I'd rather have it anyway, The GUI on the iPhone is probably better than using the disc controls to cycle through playlist/song?

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad news, I did some Googling and found that the FM Direct Adapter alone will not work. Not only is the stereo jack on the FM adapter a 2.5mm (vs the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone) You will need a 12v powered FM adapter to run your mp3 signal through before it inputs into the FM Direct adapter.

The FM Direct Adapter is looking for an FM modulated signal, which the iPhone or any mp3 player doesn't output. This is why you will need to run the signal through an FM adapter that has a wired out to hook into the FM Direct Adapter. Add in the fact that the FM adapter will need 12v power, and its too much of a wiring/clutter mess for me. I plan on upgrading radio this winter anyways, so I'll just have to burn a couple CD's to get me through the summer or just use the radio stations!

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I to am investigating other music sources.
1) I just purchased the latest RB1 radio (AI version, 2007). Wanted 'OEM' look, and not cut dash for Double DIN. Personal choice.
2) Desire is to use iPhone / iTouch with any app, like Pandora, Slacker, Sirius Online, etc.
3) Need to control via PHONE, not radio. Otherwise you can't use any of the streaming apps.
4) I just need to connect to the CD changer port, the 10 pin port, and have the radio just play the audio. No need for radio controls, too limiting.

I found two things so far:
1) This PAC unit which provides RCA inputs to back of RB1: http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=730&CategoryID=45
- with this unit, I would need another adapter to go from iPhone to RCA.
- thinking with hardwired unit the provides iPhone connector/charger to RCA
- Or, a bluetooth unit with A2DP and 10-pin changer connector
2) Another PAC which is same unit as above, but goes right to iPod connector
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=729&CategoryID=36
- Not sure if this will lock out iPhone control. Says you can control from radio, which usually locks out UI. Not sure.
- WILL charge iPhone
- Will not work on iPhone5, which is reported to have a new connector (smaller)

So still piecing this together. I don't want the Mopar kit since I am planning on iPhone5 and its new connector.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent this evening installing the kit. My radio's model number wasn't listed as one of the compatible radios but it's model number was only slightly off the older RAH model that was listed (my model number was higher, so a newer unit than the one that was out when the ancient kit was sold).

The good news: it works! Displays the track on the radio, etc. It think it's a Sirius radio input, heh.

The bad news: it only works in dumb mode. That means you can only control the music via the radio controls. The disc buttons allow you to cycle through playlists, artists, albums, and I think genres. You cannot select music via the iPhone. For the kit I bought for my Mustang, you can hit one of the disc buttons to toggle between dumb and smart modes. Shame really.

The really bad news: it doesn't charge my iPhone. This means on the really long trips, I'll have to take a break from listening to it in order to charge it back up using the cigarette lighter.

I took lots of pictures of the installation and where I mounted the box and I'll post them on my personal blog soon.

I think this kit is really suited for an iPod Classic, not the much more flexible iPhone. iPhone didn't even exist when this came out I believe. So 'dumb mode' is actually OK for a Classic. Also, I have seen similar issue on Pioneer iPod adapters from olden days. They charge my iPod Classic, but will not charge my iPod Touch.

Thanks for testing this out Viper007. This is why I am looking at newer solution, if there is one...

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBABLY a stupid question but as I do not own a gen III or IV, I guess they don't have aux jacks?

--RS

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBABLY a stupid question but as I do not own a gen III or IV, I guess they don't have aux jacks?

--RS

I don't think any Mopar radio has Aux jacks. They have CD Changer ports. The 6-changer in dash model that came standard on my 2005 Viper is somehow NOT compatible with the PAC adapters. I assume at this point that the CD Changer controls are not in that unit since it is already a 6 CD changer....

Anyway, I bought the RB1 to solve that issue, but mainly to get Navigation.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PAC iPhone interface I listed above should be compatible with RBQ and RB1 radios. I believe you would press MODE on RBQ and Aux on RB1, and they offer a special cable to plug into the 10-pin connector http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=739&CategoryID=37.

They told me you retain full UI operation on the iPhone, and it will charge. The CD controls can perform some limited operations, more meant for a click wheel type iPod.

To me, this seems like a good choice. I am waiting for the iPhone5 interface though.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyway, I bought the RB1 to solve that issue, but mainly to get Navigation.

Me too, but I got mine out of a wrecked '05 PT Cruiser. I'm interested to hear whether your brand new RB1 solves the problem of the unit "locking up" whereby the music plays but none of the controls work. (This seems to be exacerbated by the delay between turning the key on until the red button is pushed.) BTW, I'm *not* trying to hijack this thread -- I truly hope your RB1 works well for you.

Bryan

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I resolved the charging issue by getting an adapter that fixes the charging pins.

For Pandora, etc. that actually works perfectly fine! All apps other than the normal Music app work normally.

For the music app, it plays whatever it was playing before you plugged it in so I usually stick it on shuffle all (Songs -> Shuffle) and then plug it in. Find a song I don't like? I hit skip on the radio.

Trying to navigate my music via the radio is too much of a PITA.

And ****, I just realized I never posted install photos.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry that it took so long for me to write this but here's my guide on how to install the kit: http://www.viper007bond.com/2012/08/21/how-to-install-an-ipod-adapter-kit-in-a-dodge-viper/

Just two things - there is no need to unbolt the shifter ring, and you don't need to notch the plastic to get the radio out (it bends out of the way quite easily). I am going to follow the advice to just swing the cover out of the way though instead of trying to get it off the handbrake however, that is difficult to do...

Otherwise, nice writeup!

Derek

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohlarikd;3099981 I found two things so far: 1) This PAC unit which provides RCA inputs to back of RB1: [URL said:
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=730&CategoryID=45[/URL]
- with this unit, I would need another adapter to go from iPhone to RCA.
- thinking with hardwired unit the provides iPhone connector/charger to RCA
- Or, a bluetooth unit with A2DP and 10-pin changer connector
2) Another PAC which is same unit as above, but goes right to iPod connector
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=729&CategoryID=36
- Not sure if this will lock out iPhone control. Says you can control from radio, which usually locks out UI. Not sure.
- WILL charge iPhone
- Will not work on iPhone5, which is reported to have a new connector (smaller)

So still piecing this together. I don't want the Mopar kit since I am planning on iPhone5 and its new connector.

Another option, although pricey, is to combine the ISFM21 Bluetooth A2DP device, which has RCA outputs, to the RCA Aux device, the PXDX. Then you would have Blueooth audio for any device. The ISFM2 also has an FM modulator if you wanted that.

I requested that they build a PXDX with built in Bluetooth, which would be far cheaper...

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just two things - there is no need to unbolt the shifter ring, and you don't need to notch the plastic to get the radio out (it bends out of the way quite easily). I am going to follow the advice to just swing the cover out of the way though instead of trying to get it off the handbrake however, that is difficult to do...

Otherwise, nice writeup!

Derek

Thanks. :)

If you don't remove the ring, then how do you lift the shifter cover in order to unbolt and remove the shifter?

I tried bending it but it was refusing to cooperate so I decided to just notch it. No bigger either way. :)

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

If you don't remove the ring, then how do you lift the shifter cover in order to unbolt and remove the shifter?

I tried bending it but it was refusing to cooperate so I decided to just notch it. No bigger either way. :)

I just lift the bezel up and there is easy access to the shifter bolt. You have to prop up the bezel with your elbow or something, but it very doable. I just did it this morning again. I also just swung the cover to the left, leaving it on the hand brake this time as you said. Duh on my part.

The second time I removed the bezels took about 1/10th the time...

Bosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option, although pricey, is to combine the ISFM21 Bluetooth A2DP device, which has RCA outputs, to the RCA Aux device, the PXDX. Then you would have Blueooth audio for any device. The ISFM2 also has an FM modulator if you wanted that.

I requested that they build a PXDX with built in Bluetooth, which would be far cheaper...

Has anybody done this on an RB1 to confirm? A2DP Bluetooth would be the cleanest install of all.

Excellent write-up, Alex. If I can't go Bluetooth, this is the route I'll be taking.

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody done this on an RB1 to confirm? A2DP Bluetooth would be the cleanest install of all.

Excellent write-up, Alex. If I can't go Bluetooth, this is the route I'll be taking.

Just installed the ipod kit yesterday with the RB1 and works as it should. This is a very easy install

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remember, if you get an iPhone5, none of these kits will work as the interface is changing. Unless they figure out some sort of adapter. I am just waiting at this point to see what Apple does.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put a Mopar unit in my 06. It did not work as advertised. The music cut in and out and it made my gauges go crazy. I fiddled with this for a long time, as well as adding a sirius radio to my RBQ head unit. The sirius unit worked okay but again not quite right with the display etc. (they where not hooked up at the same time) I ended up putting a pioneer single din with xm and ipod integration. Not only does this work way better than the stock POS but it sounds way better too since there are more controls for tuning the sound and more power in the head unit. It worked perfect with my stock amp. I bought a $15 wire harness adapter in ebay so I did not have to cut any wires.
In the end I am so much happier with the set up. The stock head units be a Rb1 (Nav what junk) or RBQ are garbage, dodge put them in mini vans, why put them in a Viper.
If you have not done this and are considering a ipod adapter for the stock head unit don't do it. You money is better spent on a simple single din head unit or pop out with more features then you can hope to get out of the junk stock unit.
IMO :smirk:

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a Mopar unit in my 06. It did not work as advertised. The music cut in and out and it made my gauges go crazy. I fiddled with this for a long time, as well as adding a sirius radio to my RBQ head unit. The sirius unit worked okay but again not quite right with the display etc. (they where not hooked up at the same time) I ended up putting a pioneer single din with xm and ipod integration. Not only does this work way better than the stock POS but it sounds way better too since there are more controls for tuning the sound and more power in the head unit. It worked perfect with my stock amp. I bought a $15 wire harness adapter in ebay so I did not have to cut any wires.
In the end I am so much happier with the set up. The stock head units be a Rb1 (Nav what junk) or RBQ are garbage, dodge put them in mini vans, why put them in a Viper.
If you have not done this and are considering a ipod adapter for the stock head unit don't do it. You money is better spent on a simple single din head unit or pop out with more features then you can hope to get out of the junk stock unit.
IMO :smirk:

Agreed if you don't like the stock look. I have many Pioneer double dins in my other cars / trucks. Just put an AVIC-X940BT in my RAM. Clearly it blows the RB1 away. However, I would never put a single DIN in my Viper, as it just looks wrong, out of place, and tacked on. So some of us need to make due with the RB1 / RBQ. A double DIN looks better, but all the cutting of the inner supports bothers me as well.

Lesser of two evils I guess. Function versus OEM Look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery