ipod compatibility with factory stereo?

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm looking to buy an ipod (30 or 60 GB) but one of my requirements is that it must be able to interface with the Viper stereo system. I am an audiophile so no crappy FM transmitters for me.

Has anyone tried out any of the kits that are out there? I saw one that claims it'll work on a Viper, but it's $190--pretty steep for an audio adapter. I guess that's better than trying to buy a new head unit.

What I do need:
1. Volume and EQ (treble, bass, etc.) to be controlled by the head unit
2. Line-level audio connection; can't be crappy FM transmitter

What I don't need or care about:
1. Ability to change tracks from the head unit

Just FYI I have the stock head unit and would love to keep it that way.

Thanks for your inputs.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think you will find anything to work with the stock head unit. Since the factory unit is an Alpine just upgrade to a new Alpine unit. I have the Alpine CDA-9851 unit with a iPod cable. It looks better than stock and sounds better. I have my iPod in the glove box and I can control everything with the headunit, I can select playlists, artists, or albums. You will have to have a 8 pin din to RCA connector made to install the new head unit. I researched this and I found this to be the best answer.

Just buy the new Alpine CDE-9852 headunit $200, the ipod adaptor $20 and have the DIN to RCA cable made and you are good to go.

Pics of mine:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You rock. Looks like the best option, both functionally and aesthetically. Do you find the lack of AVC on the new head unit to be a nuisance? I really like how I don't have to turn down the stereo every time I come to a stoplight.

OP
OP
S

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One more question. Where did you get your DIN to RCA cable made? I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself but it's one of those things that would be really frustrating if I screwed it up.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick summed it up. Try Crutchfield.com. They have 3 or 4 Alpine units and the Ipod cable. Save yourself the tax and they've got great customer support. I'm sure they can talk you through fabricating the 8 pin din to RCA connector. :)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't get auto volume control with an aftermarket head unit. That's one of the sacrifices you have to make. Secondly, you won't be able to hook up an ipod to the stock unit either. So you have to pick your priority. Either AVC or ipod capability.

If you change your head unit I would just change the amp along with it. It will sound better and save you from having to make a DIN to RCA adapter.

Reaction score
I just got the Alpine 9856 and have the same DIN to RCA adapter issue. If I keep the stock AMP and don't bypass it, I need to have that DIN to RCA. Otherwise I have to get a new AMP and run new wires (and it's a ******!).

Any help is good!