Just how rare are vipers...

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well let's put this in prospective...

Over the last three weeks, I've been through 5 states (NJ, PA, DE, MA, and WV)
I have gone to and attended, at least 14 car shows (four which are on a weekly basis)
Each show gets about 100-500 cars (all kinds of different makes and models)
that's roughly 3,900 different cars. (say about 250 cars a show)

Just this past weekend alone I went with my race team to and from those five states, stayed two days in West Virginia and shot well over 1k photos...

Despite ALL of that...I saw one...ONE Viper...parked...in a parking lot at a mini-mall...and it was a gen III 04' SRT-10 vert I saw last year.

What's happened? There's no more Rendezvous at Englishtown, I miss going to the Colts Neck Inn to see the cars, no more car show at Warnock. I just can't make the stretch to Pocono and I'd really, REALLY like to go to VOI. Le sigh. I see more RHD Japanese-spec Nissan Skylines these days than I do Vipers!

--RS

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
RS--
Don't forget that GM made 117,000 Vettes from '63 to '67, let alone all the other years, but only about 26,000 Vipers made in total. When these Vipers are spread around the globe, minus the totaled Vipers, there are not many to go around. That's one reason why I like the Viper so much. ---Dave

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you lived near DC........ You'd see a few vipers every Sat. morning at Katie's. If you lived near me you'd see my old gen 1 nearly every (nice) Sunday out at Sheetz in Haymarket, Va.

Nothing's happened. These cars are few and far between but if you know where to look they're everywhere.

Cheers!

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many corvettes were made in total since they began?

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I can find, a few ticks north of 1.5 million. So if you average that over the 59 years Chevys been building them that's over 25k cars per year since 1953.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed Vipers are extremely rare and that makes them really cool. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to say I own one. Some say there is a magical place when you can see a ton of them together at the same time. Most details about this strange phenomenon remain unknown. It doesn't always happen at the same place but rumor has it this year it will happen again... Too bad I'll miss it :(

Here is proof on film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D119SMkp5j8

Filmography experts agree the above video has never been tempered with and it's not computer generated.

Vipers are awesome and viper owners are even more so. :D :2tu:

Last edited:

ViperCobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed Vipers are extremely rare and that makes them really cool. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to say I own one. Some say there is a magical place when you can see a ton of them together at the same time. Most details about this strange phenomenon remain unknown. It doesn't always happen at the same place but rumor has it this year it will happen again... Too bad I'll miss it :(

Here is proof on film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D119SMkp5j8

Filmography experts agree the above video has never been tempered with and it's not computer generated.

Vipers are awesome and viper owners are even more so. :D :2tu:

I like the video :)..... I'm very Proud to own one ;)

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RS--
Don't forget that GM made 117,000 Vettes from '63 to '67, let alone all the other years, but only about 26,000 Vipers made in total. When these Vipers are spread around the globe, minus the totaled Vipers, there are not many to go around. That's one reason why I like the Viper so much. ---Dave
Let alone the fact that they are incredible cars from a looks and performance standpoint, the rarity definitely make them special. I have been told that the Indy C&C is one of the best in the country, and while we have tons of exotics, the vipers always draw lots of attention. I feel fortunate to have been able to find my car, ( 1 of 1 viper violet vert with aero group), and while I was fielding lots of questions, this Saturday morning, from car guys about them never having seen a car like mine, I had to smile when my new friend, that I just met, that was there with his red 05, was asked by a lovely young lady ( definitely built for speed ), to be able to sit in the car for a picture, because she loves red. ( there were many other red cars there! ):headbang:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought they were rare since I never see them virtually ever. But since I brought mine up 2 weeks ago, I've seen 3 others in just my small neighborhood alone. :(

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought they were rare since I never see them virtually ever. But since I brought mine up 2 weeks ago, I've seen 3 others in just my small neighborhood alone. :(

Looks like you live on a cool neighborhood. :headbang:

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm up here in toronto and so far this year i have seen 4-6 vipers and that includes the one in my garage.

jman

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very cool...just that many more people that share the passion. Even here in Dallas, it's rare to see a Viper on the street. I've had mine for 4 years this month and haven't seen more than a handful (less than 10) on the road. Not counting the local C&C's over the years...

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live 8 miles from the closest town in N. Tx. (Azle) In the last three weeks, I've seen a red Gen 3 or 4 vert twice and a graphite RT-10 on FM 730. My buddy saw another red GTS on the same road and just 10 miles away in Lake Worth I saw a yellow and black RT-10. :drive:

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had 18 vipers at the snakes alive show in lehighton PA on Saturday and 7 vipers at the all mopar fathers day show in penargyl PA on Sunday.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Approximately 1 in every 9,000 cars is a Viper. IF.... every Viper built was on the road

Ev0lv3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have pics of that (looks to be bagged) RT/10, its like the 7th car in that video when he starts driving. Looks pretty cool.

this one
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the most awesome sights of my life was my 1st VOI.....VOI 10 in Detroit....seeing that parking garage level filled with only Vipers, some appearing stock, others obviously had owners who had contracted "mods" (a serious illness) and just enjoying the sight. We had less at VOI 11 (the video above), but I'm guessing we'll be back up to around the same number of Vipers at VOI 12 as were at 10.....for those of you who attend for your 1st time....it just astounds you to see so many in one spot.

Regards,
Aaron

-nighthawk-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try living in Australia and being obsessed with the Viper.

I think there are only 80 in Australia, with a lot of them being collector only cars that aren't driven. I've never seen one on the roads and the only time I've seen one in person is when I went to the RHD Conversion place. It's painful :p

(oh and I've also seen an RT/10 at Top Gear Live and a GTS at the F1 on display)

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Miami. In the last 2 months I have seen about fifteen 458 italias, about thirty 599 Ferraris, a dozen Gallardos about six LP640's and only one other Viper other than mine.

The other one is a Gen 3 convertible. People will stop me for pics, step past a Ferrari or a Lambo to shoot the Viper and you get videoed, photoed and "thumbs up" everywhere you go.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Miami. In the last 2 months I have seen about fifteen 458 italias, about thirty 599 Ferraris, a dozen Gallardos about six LP640's and only one other Viper other than mine.

The other one is a Gen 3 convertible. People will stop me for pics, step past a Ferrari or a Lambo to shoot the Viper and you get videoed, photoed and "thumbs up" everywhere you go.

Funny you mention that. Gallardo is basically my dream car, and after buying my Viper I expected to be very envious every time I see a Gallardo out somewhere. But having the Viper in person now and seeing it in the garage everyday, it has become even more **** than I thought Vipers were beforehand. I see Gallardos now and they are nice and I appreciate them, but they just make me go "Meh" to it's looks in relation to my Viper. The Viper is just so much more in your face and stand outish.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday while coming back home on the interstae I saw;

Various 60's/70's muscle cars
9 Vettes
2 Porches
2 Ferraris
0 Vipers

That's why I get excited whenever I see one. :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Long Island (pop. 2.3 million) I am only aware of five or six Gen 4 ACR's and only two of them are 2010's.
And I go to a lot of car gatherings and shows all over the place.
There may be more but if so they are never out and about.
That's pretty damn rare.

Last edited by a moderator:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was 4 or 5 Vipers at the last C&C I was at and that did not include mine since I did not drive it this week. I am seeing a lot more of them as I used to but they still appear very rare to me. That said I have never seen another Sapphire/Silver in my area.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While the Viper is certainly not a common car, its hardly a rare car. I think so few are seen that most owners don't drive it a whole lot, including myself. However, as far as the number of Vipers, there are plenty around.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are about 26-28k vipers ever made thus far. How many are exported to the UK/Canada etc? How many are totaled? The 96-02 GTS cars seem to gather the most attention (not starting a war here) and you have to figure about 12k cars made. Maybe 10k in the US. Of those 10K maybe 6K are left? I have a 2000 ACR. They made about 200 a year I think from 99-02. So that is about 600. My color is Red and no stripes which was 1 of 35. So maybe 15 left on the road? I say it's pretty damn rare.

And more importantly, it is sad to see people have to sell their vipers for 30-35k. A viper can be parted out for about 30K. Acura NSX owners have 100k+ miles and sell for 30k+ However their community really advocates for the worth of their vehicles. Viper owners are fanatical about their cars but quick to point out that they are "overpriced" when an owner sells. Kinda sad. People are too quick to say "the market dicatates the worth of the car." That's way too basic Econ 101. The community of owners (monopolistic of ONE particular car) really could dictate what the price is worth. Why is it that Kelly Blue Book is valuing the average GTS at about 45K? The car is rare, and even right now, the car is worth a decent amount.

The Gen I/II have the most outrageous looks of almost any car on the road and the fact that the new Gen V is coming out will ONLY make people want to jump in a GTS for half the price (50K). Usually there are 30 people checking out the GTS forums at any given time. Now there are 100+ at any given time. This new viper is done RIGHT and people are really starting to look at ALL vipers. It's about freaking time to use basic sales techniques are make people realize the actual worth of a viper. Just driving a GTS ACR (only car I can really speak on ) should be worth 10K for a year or two. I stop by Gallardo drivers and Ferrari drivers all day and people clamor around the ACR. It's timeless plain and simple. 10k miles or 50k miles; it wont matter down the road. If it's an original engine...you are sitting, driving and enjoying a rare, exotic and appreciating asset. Period.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's timeless plain and simple. 10k miles or 50k miles; it wont matter down the road. If it's an original engine...you are sitting, driving and enjoying a rare, exotic and appreciating asset. Period.
I'm going to the gerage and stare at my Viper . . . thanks for the speech!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang