Just Put the Top Back on My RT/10

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I know what I bought (RT vs GTS) and its been discussed before....but, just put the vert top back on my RT last night and was reminded how poorly the top is designed. What a pain!!!

Then, it just squeeks and makes all kinds of annoying noise while driving....ugh, obvious concessions for wanting a vert in the summer.:nono:

Just venting!:omg:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, as my wife says repeatedly, this is the Viper you chose...it is the only Viper you will have so deal with it! As she says to the kids..."You get what you get and you don't get upset"!:nono:

I love my RT, but it does have its downsides.:eater:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then, it just squeeks and makes all kinds of annoying noise while driving....ugh, obvious concessions for wanting a vert in the summer.

Well, at least you have a choice as to whether you want to drive with the top on or off. Those other owners have to live with it stuck on there all year long. ;)

I'm thinking about an aftermarket top from A.P Engineering some day, although I still drive with the top off when the temp is 40F degrees. That's what the heater is for and as long as I don't drive with my head poking over the windshield it isn't too bad. I ride my bicycle sometimes when it's 15F degrees out and it doesn't have a heater.

BTW, it's a roadster, not a vert.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Purchase a hard top. I use it on weekdays since I commute in my RT/10 often and pull it off on Friday afternoons. I used the soft top only once.

James

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit of patrolium jelly between the contact surfaces works wonders on top squeeks.... and easily cleans off for top off driving.

= J

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My hard top on my 02 did squeek a lil bit. After further investigaton I noticed that the rear hold downs were a little out of adjustment. Once I re-adjusted (made the top tighter to the car) the squeeks went away. You may want to look into that.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm getting close to putting the hard top back on too. I hate the looks of the soft top, I am so close to buying one from Jeff at AP Engineering, I will soon. During the nice fall days it's not bad but night time rides can get a little chillly. Between the heater and the V-10 heater it's not too bad going ******* in the great white north. :drive:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hard top on my 02 did squeek a lil bit. After further investigaton I noticed that the rear hold downs were a little out of adjustment. Once I re-adjusted (made the top tighter to the car) the squeeks went away. You may want to look into that.

Same here. Pretty easy to adjust so that they create a tighter seal on the sport cap. Also, I always to check the 'clothespins' to make certain they are indeed engaged around the pin. I haven't had a squeak since adjusting them. Then again, I can only hear the engine and exhaust in the car and nothing else. There's an alternative, buy a louder exhaust. :D

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments....by the way, I used to own a Jaguar 120 roadster...sort of don't see this in the same way. Thought Vert was a cool way of describing this "sorta" convertable in a cave man kind of way.:eater: Looks (to me) more like a T-Top Vette then a true roadster.

At some point, I would like an after-market top with a scoop...but that is someday. For now, I have to live with the soft top.

I will say, I still love the car and the option to drive with the top off in the nice weather.:drive:

Will try the vaseline...not sure about adjusting, as Chuck said they were adjusted fine.

Thanks all.:headbang:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks (to me) more like a T-Top Vette then a true roadster.

oh no you didn't :nono:

:lmao:

had a t-top trans am back in the day, i think roadster or targa p-car

finally used my soft top, i kinda like it - less (almost no) rattle, stable at speed, shade, easy on and off, and i'm sure i get more looks (not that i care) w/ the soft top than ******* or w/ factory hard top

3 piece w/ scoop is coooool

Last edited:

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might be the only one but I actually like the looks of the factory removable hard top. I like the "double bubble" or "snake eyes" curve of the roof. The way it hangs over the back though, could have been improved, but because of the "double bubble" curves, I prefer the OEM to the after market tops.

Not only that but the after market hood looks very cheap from the inside with the tri-fold frame desing showing from the inside.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be the only one but I actually like the looks of the factory removable hard top. I like the "double bubble" or "snake eyes" curve of the roof. The way it hangs over the back though, could have been improved, but because of the "double bubble" curves,

i like the factory hard top too, think it looks good, would do the 3 piece just to be able to carry in the trunk

op addressing soft top :dunno:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from getting "slapped upside my head" for even mentioning a hardtop. But, I do like the look of the Trunktop (?) style with the hood scoop...looks especially nice if you have stripes on your car.

So, realizing that my RT does not have the hardtop, she doesn't think stripes go on the car. I told her I've seen a number of RT's without the hardtop that have stripes.

Anyway, I will say that the car does look unique with the soft top styled the way it is. It is unusual, though maybe poorly (and quickly designed) with the back looking like it is sort of hanging off.

Okay, just doing my usual and picking at my car for the small things I don't like. It still is a surprisingly nice driving:drive: and smooth (relatively) riding car.:2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call those rear latches "Clothespins". They can be adjusted by loosening the two bolts and sliding the latch up or down then tightening the bolts.

thanks for the tip, my top has just started squeaking this year so I'm glad it can be easily fixed.

Im also one of the few who likes the factory hardtop, the lines on the aftermarket tops are too angular and to me do not flow with the curves of the car like the factory top does. I really do wish there was a 3 piece trunktop with a curvier profile, however ill have to make do with the factory top for now ;)

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only issue I see with the after-market tops that fit flush is that for some of them, you need to take the black piece off the top of the (what should be rollbar piece)

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only issue I see with the after-market tops that fit flush is that for some of them, you need to take the black piece off the top of the (what should be rollbar piece)

Dosen't AP Engineering provide some sort of quick install/remove clips for the sport bar pad?

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT with Stripes

I've ordered my 3pc hardtop .... hope to have it in a couple weeks

Attachments

• IMG_4912.jpg
    IMG_4912.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 16