Kumho V 700---Your experience?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering buying a set of Kumhos V 700 for Gen 2 strictly for the road course. Anyone ever run these on the course and your thoughts, good or bad? I plan on having them shaved and heat cycled.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love them. Switched from Sport Cups and could not be happier for their track capability. Also heat cycled, but I drove for several weeks on the street to wear them down a bit. Minor chunking (on the outside edge) after the first track event so getting them shaved is preferred. I had poor experience with them for autocross life though on a very tight course with a 200 ft circle that pounded the tires.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love them. Switched from Sport Cups and could not be happier for their track capability. Also heat cycled, but I drove for several weeks on the street to wear them down a bit. Minor chunking (on the outside edge) after the first track event so getting them shaved is preferred. I had poor experience with them for autocross life though on a very tight course with a 200 ft circle that pounded the tires.
Excellent reply and info. Jon B. (who I plan on buying from) suggested these too over the Sport Cups. Thanks.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love them use them for the street and the track. TRANSFORM the handling I wouldn't go on the track with any lessor tires. Bad is they sandblast your paint. My sidesills have seen better days.

The availablity of these tires isn't very good as Kumho has stoped making them. :(

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They need a high starting tire pressure and will gain even more. Watch carefully for odd looking tire wear around one of the treads; not necessarily an outside one. I think they are great road race and AX tires; very good street tires in the rain.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what size are your track wheels? I have a set of 17"s with fresh 710's on the classifieds...I might be willing to dismount and ship - thanks for considering it.

They are 315s and 335s...

Last edited:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering buying a set of Kumhos V 700 for Gen 2 strictly for the road course. Anyone ever run these on the course and your thoughts, good or bad? I plan on having them shaved and heat cycled.

I have tried both the 700's and 710's. I am on my third set of the 710's. The 710's are a better track tire. You do not want to shave them. They will lose some of their grip long before you see wear. They will chunk if you are aggressive on a hot track. I am running 315's and 335's (front/rear). The 315's are too large for the street. Personally I would not run the 710's on the street

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just looked up the price on a Kumho Ecsta V700 versus the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 that everyone on the VCA forums talks about. I had practically thought that no other tire brand would fit on a Viper.

Wow - what a difference. At over $150 less per tire the Kumho tires are definitely something I'm considering. I have a set of Kumho tires on one of my other cars and have been quite pleased with them for over a year.

Thanks for the money-saving tip.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run fully treaded V700's on the street. My Paxton'd GTS now only hunts for traction in first gear. No matter how hard you shift, they grab in second and beyond.

I hit the occational autocross as well and they're equally impressive there.

Have them shaved if you're going to hit the track or autocross though. Otherwise you will destroy the tires. The taller tread blocks chunk and wear at extreme angles and you never get the grip back.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used them for my Gen1 on the road course exclusively. I found that they worked very well. They had great grip and good longevity.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run fully treaded V700's on the street. My Paxton'd GTS now only hunts for traction in first gear. No matter how hard you shift, they grab in second and beyond.

I hit the occational autocross as well and they're equally impressive there.

Have them shaved if you're going to hit the track or autocross though. Otherwise you will destroy the tires. The taller tread blocks chunk and wear at extreme angles and you never get the grip back.
These are all great replies and what you say about shaving is also right inline with Tire Racks recommendations for the track. Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just looked up the price on a Kumho Ecsta V700 versus the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 that everyone on the VCA forums talks about. I had practically thought that no other tire brand would fit on a Viper.

Wow - what a difference. At over $150 less per tire the Kumho tires are definitely something I'm considering. I have a set of Kumho tires on one of my other cars and have been quite pleased with them for over a year.

Thanks for the money-saving tip.

1) They cost even LESS from PartsRack, thanks........... BUT:

2) PER MILE KV cost more than PS-2; KV are much less safe in rain; KV are prone to 'chunking" due to potholes-hazards. I LOVE EM !!!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) They cost even LESS from PartsRack, thanks........... BUT:

2) PER MILE KV cost more than PS-2; KV are much less safe in rain; KV are prone to 'chunking" due to potholes-hazards. I LOVE EM !!!

You still don't have any kumhos in 17s do you John? Any scrubs or anything?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You still don't have any kumhos in 17s do you Jon? Any scrubs or anything?

Thanks for the opportunity to say:

"IF IT FITS ON or IN a VIPER: PartsRack Probably Has It"

I have ONE FULL SET. New, stickered 17" set of 4 tires. OE sizes. 275+335x17

Due to the double-shipping I encountered, they would be about $150 more than an 18" set from TireRack.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang