Launch control- the "Ultimate Poser" option

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the love of G*d, why did they put this on:dunno: Does the world really need another Nissan GTR?
If I want a perfect launch, I'd better damn well earn it:drive:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lawrenzo ,

You misread, this is a " Lunch Control " button. It automatically pops out a large plastic bag , so when you scare the crap out of your passenger he has a bag to lose his lunch into. Actually quite effective, as I know a couple of times a passenger needed one while in my ACR , so prevention , my boy, prevention.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So basically you fully depress the clutch then set the launch control and then fully depress the accelerator and side step the clutch ?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So basically you fully depress the clutch then set the launch control and then fully depress the accelerator and side step the clutch ?

Yep. I'm in agreence with Lawrence but at the same time I understand the car needs to evolve. If I'm not mistaken I drove an SRT charger that had it. Pretty neat to use but as mentioned I still kinda like the old school way. :)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't use it. Problem solved. I mean this isn't even one you have to turn off, just don't turn it on. Just don't complain if the guy next to you uses his & wins.

How about this, when you're next to another 10 second car, and iffy track prep conditions & winning means more than anything else, press the button & try it, if the former doesn't apply or fun or learning is more important than don't press it.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really am looking forward to the Gen V showing up at dealers and ultimately on the road. Hopefully this will stop the constant whining and complaining about all the new features that this car offers. What a bunch of cry babies. Give the new car a year or so and this should shut people up........well maybe not as there are many still not understanding why Dodge redesigned the Gen1 and 2 cars.

If you don't like it then just stay with the old stuff. Its really easy that way....plus it will save you a bunch on money.

"for the love of G!d"......................Get Over It !!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind that there is launch control. I think it will help sell more units than it will deter. The new Viper needed some features like that to increase sales.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think stuff like that can help you know what the car is capable of. Then make it a goal to launch as good, or even better than the computer.

I personally like the traction control and tech stuff, but launch control did seem like cheating and I would have preferred that they left it out. But it doesn't really affect me since I'm not 25 anymore and I no longer street race.

~Jay

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not 25 anymore and I no longer street race.

~Jay

Exactly.

Who is this feature designed for then? The new demographic- 60 year old street racing Fast 'N Furious wannabes.

Did anybody ask for this feature at any of the SRT input events:dunno:

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a scratch golfer in my 20's...and 40 years later with a 15 handicap, would love to have a launch control button on my driver today.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I see a GTR, I do not think "Poser". Sorry. Just don't.

I don't think anything less of a person, based upon their car.

Whether it is AJ Foyt behind the wheel of one or a Grandmom, I don't think that the person is posing.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of you guys are a bunch of old farts, and it shows with these comments. :rolaugh: With everyone else having launch control, it would be foolish not to offer it. If I had it, I'd use it. Because if I don't, the other guy will. It almost guarantees perfect launches every time. This is not a GTR thing, almost every world class car has it now. Launch control doesn't automatically make you a teenage street racer. It's an extra piece of arsenal that gives the driver an edge. At $100k+ I would have been mad if they didn't add this now basic option.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really am looking forward to the Gen V showing up at dealers and ultimately on the road. Hopefully this will stop the constant whining and complaining about all the new features that this car offers. What a bunch of cry babies. Give the new car a year or so and this should shut people up........well maybe not as there are many still not understanding why Dodge redesigned the Gen1 and 2 cars.

If you don't like it then just stay with the old stuff. Its really easy that way....plus it will save you a bunch on money.

"for the love of G!d"......................Get Over It !!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

I see. Don't voice displeasure with a product. Just take what is given and march in line like a good little soldier. Wrong. A business wants to know what its customers are thinking.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poser is a pretty subjective label.

Personally 'Lawrenzo'.....I live in the Rockies where we actually need 4 wheel drives to get around in the winter. Southern California with a 4 wheel drive SRT8 Jeep ???? I would guess that you have a bunch of features on that vehicle that you may never use as intended.

I would be careful throwing around the 'poser' term.

Matt
...and Yes....I do have a Race Logic system in my car.

Last edited:

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see. Don't voice displeasure with a product. Just take what is given and march in line like a good little soldier. Wrong. A business wants to know what its customers are thinking.

Feedback is great for a company....no argument there. To keep whining about every little detail that doesn't please you....that's non constructive and plain annoying.

Say it once then let the rest voice their opinion. Business you are referring to probably wants to succeed. Not release a new product that is 'old' before it hits the showroom floor.

Matt

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They also want to know what new prospective customers are thinking ... What would make a demographic that is in the same class but previously wouldn't buy the car change their minds and allegence? Launch control is based on the traction control system, so the brains were in there already and if it's what new customers want, then take advantage of that.

The calculated gamble is will I lose existing customers .... Probably not since there really isn't an alternative to the Viper, yes it now has more nannies but less than all other cars in its class ... It's still a drivers car not a car that gets driven.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck, I say this respectfully, if you didn't like or buy the Gen3, or Gen4, are you really a perspective customer for the Gen 5? Life goes on...

Bill

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have three owned 3 Vipers and a ZR1 Corvette.None with LC.I now have a new Porsche 911 Turbo S with Launch Control.It is outstanding,the car launches very,very fast with no wheel spin.I am very happy my new Gen V.Viper will have it.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You old times need to step up in your thinking.Launch Control with Dual Clutch Auto. is the way to go.Viper is now half way their.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poser is a pretty subjective label.

Personally 'Lawrenzo'.....I live in the Rockies where we actually need 4 wheel drives to get around in the winter. Southern California with a 4 wheel drive SRT8 Jeep ???? I would guess that you have a bunch of features on that vehicle that you may never use as intended.

I would be careful throwing around the 'poser' term.

Matt
...and Yes....I do have a Race Logic system in my car.

I thought "poser" was a pretty strong word, too. To be a "poser" you have to be pretending to be something you are not. What does that have to do with launch control? And it's not an option, it's standard equipment...as Dman said, you don't even have to turn it off----just don't turn it on!

Bill

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say poser, because L/C relieves the driver from most of his duties. To me, launch control takes away the joy of having to finess a good launch. It's darn near an automatic when you simply stomp on the gas, pop the clutch and get going with no effort from your right foot. Heck, even doing a brake stand with an automatic requires you to modulate the accell so you don't light the tires up into a puff of smoke. I don't really even consider it a nanny per se, because it's not there to save your butt, it's just there to show off occasionally to your buddies. Heck, any SL65 would work just as well.

In respect to my SRT8 Jeep, it's a 5 speed automatic SUV with AWD. Even though it is a blast to drive, it doesn't require any skills whatsoever to launch it like a bat outta hell. You can't compare it's experience to what most people look for in a sports car:nono:

I guess L/C will be helpful if you want to drag race your car, but I thought the new Viper is racing in ALMS not NHRA:dunno:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Lot's of guys drag race their Vipers

3. Every serious competitor has launch control

4. Viper is at a disadvantage without launch control

5. Times will absolutely be quicker and more consistent with launch control

6. Objecting to it being added is sort of like objecting to Cups being standard equipment on the ACR

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala