Lifting Hood After Driving Due To Heat

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they lift their hood up after driving to keep the engine heat from adversely effecting the paint finish and/or the underside insulation of the hood? If so, is this just after hard driving or is it done religiously after each ride, and is it necessary?

Thanks Piper:beer:
dude call me.I live in Windsor too. 02 rt10,kevin.I p.m 'd you with it.

R

RTED

Good points raised on pros and cons of Roe fan switch. I plug into a battery tender every time I pull into the garage following a drive. I have never had an issue with the battery running low or causing a problem due to the Roe fan switch, even on 3-4 day club events out of town with stopping and starting many times during the days events. The Roe Kit is with the car and working every time the car is shut off. Can't say the same about the fans that some are using in the garage unless they are taking it with them along with an extension chord when they go out to dinner or stop somewhere away from home, or opening their hoods to cool down. By the way, I replaced my battery after 7 years only because I felt it was time, not because it died. Still using the batter in another vehicle. Roe Fan kit best mod made to date for me, to each his own. :drive:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also open my hood when I get home after a drive. I have one of the fans like Dave666 was talking about. I run that for 20-30 minutes in front of the car with the hood up and that seems to really get the heat out. I am not sure what the benefits are from an engineering point of view, however it makes me FEEL so much better, and that is what matters to me. My $.02

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ROE fan module is extremely helpful while driving, but I cannot have it running till the car cools down pending 180. I usually crack the hood open on the front, and let the fan run during the time I am to puting my windows in, and a roof up. After that, I start up the car to move the cooler liquid from the radiator through the engine, and cool it down even more. Than I pull the fuse, so my battery doesn’t die. Note to self: Must put a separate switch for the fan.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey I know this is a super old thread, but was just wondering if everyone could chime (those of you that do pop the hood like me) if you pop the hood when you are out as well? I went for a drive with the wife the last week and we stopped for ice cream. It was pushing high 80's I think and the sun was brutal, I just couldn't help it, I popped the front of the hood to let the heat escape while we sat and ate the ice cream. Any of you that pop hoods when you get back to the garage also do it while you are out if you can see the car?

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken to only opening the hood at track events and car shows. Have the Roe fan kit and it works well to keep things under control. Looking to drill out the drivers side speaker and vent the cowl, but haven't done them yet.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah i've read of that mod, and I know it seems from research it is split, about half the people pop and the other half do nothing and think the "poppers" are crazy lol. I was just wondering more about while you were out doing something vs. the garage. I always pop in the garage with a fan, if for nothing else it makes me feel better lol :D I went to dinner the other night and didn't pop it, but I was having a bit of a hard time knowing it was just frying under the hood, so I am thinking like when I got the ice cream, maybe just popping to that first rise up would at least let it escape, but it would look weird I admit to be in the parking lot with that up like that.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I open the hood and attach the trickle charger every time I get her in the garage. I've never opened the hood while out and about (except for at the track). I also have the ROE fan kit installed...it cycles the fan a few times after the engine is off for the few times it has been run hard. ;)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if im running really hard in mexico, when i get home i'll pop the hood for a while. but in reality you would never pop your daily drivers hood so why bother on this car ? and its just a dodge. there should be no reason to do it

180-190 is normal operating temps

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only at the track, dyno, or after a long drive. I will pop the front but not lift the whole thing.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lift the hood on both the car and the truck after each drive.
Not so much to help with keeping the paint intact, but moreso to help cool the engine quicker and keep other components from receiving heat damage over time.
Fortunately on the Gen3/4's it's a little less complicated.

Oh- and I installed a hood light kill switch on the truck. I usually leave it OFF and switch it ON only when needed.

eurowalt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it helps with disapating heat but also wares out the hood springs. And that's what happened to a friends car.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only put my hood up when tracking my viper. You do not need to put it up everytime you finish driving. What year is your RT10/GTS?

Rev

Same here. I don't park the car after track sessions until the fan begins to cycle lo-hi. I keep air moving thru the wheel wells and radiators with motion.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood stays up 90% of the time on my Viper, its in the garage now, battery tender hooked up, Hood up :) Without doubt the best garage heater on the market :D

If I take the car out to shows, everyone wants to look under the hood :)

Even at the Auto Sport show earlier in the year the viper got the most attention on the stand due to the hood being up, Oh and this :D

You must be registered for see images

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the Roe fan kit and just pop the hood in the garage after a drive. I think I have the Roe set to run for 5 minutes. If it kicks on I then need to keep the garage door open :D

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always raise the hood on my '03 to let the heat out. Also, it keeps the likelihood of rodents building on top of the engine and eating something expensive. Ask me how I know this can happen... But city folks may not have a rodent problem.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I lift the hood after every drive. I figure it lets the heat go where it wants to go & protects the hood as well.
:dunno:
Why not?

Plus, its an extra chance to stare at the best part of the car & maybe even catch something wrong while I'm at it. Never have, but again, why not?

I also employ this reasoning with attractive women. Does that make sense?
:usa:

Last edited:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never even thought of doing this..... However, normally when I'm done driving my car I pop the hood anyway, to attach the battery tender to it. I still lower the hood back down with the Tender cables attached, but the front is still popped up. I haven't always done this, and still don't if I know I'm gonna be driving my car 2-3 days in a row.

I haven't noticed any paint issues or cracks though, but it still seems like a good idea to play it safe and lift the hood regardless. So I will definitely keep this in mind from now on after driving the car, especially on hot days.. Also, considering I just bought the American Racing Headers which I heard run a little hot(I'll have the heat shields on) I will probably make sure to do this regularly.

Thanks for the great post! Definitely good info to know. :2tu:

Last edited:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figured this might happen replying to an old thread so it wasn't in the title, I was really wondering if you all that pop like me, also pop while out, say if you went to dinner and could see the car would you pop then as well?

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:wow:Y'all should lobby the GEN V Dodge engineers to incorporate an auto-hood-lift-on-shutdown feature. Would complement the ESC on/off switch everyone's all anxious about.