lightweight flywheel

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The year matters. The only compalints we have heard were Gen 2, 96-97 lumpy cam guys. The 50% reduction can cause an even lumpier idle, and an under-shot return to idle on these cars.

The positives far outweigh this early G2 complaint

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard some have a problem with clutch grip after some hard track miles. I haven't tried it myself. I'm still stock.

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about as fluent with these cars as I am the space shuttle. About 30 seconds behind the wheel made up my mind. 97 gts. I went with a cr molly unit. Probably not as radical of a move as an aluminum unit but still made a noticeble improvement in how quick the motor revs. Have read some complaints that it makes it a little harder to drive from light to light. Cant say as I noticed this.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Findaza with my #10 ROE and have ZERO complaints. No different that the stock feel in and around the town/stop-n-go driving other than needing to rev a bit more from a dead stop (loss of flywheel inertia). Revs A LOT quicker. LUV IT!!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the fidanza and love it, with new stock clutch. Drives like stock but does not like riding slow throught a parking like (I have a custon grind custom=lumpy) but does not happen often and when it does, just push the clutch in.
Its way easier to downshift rev match, I mean alot. I read an article some time ago where a z06 was outfitted with an aftermarket lightweight flywheel and clutch and the car accelrated quicker to 70 100 and 150 (2 seconds) but hp remained the same. I;ll post if i can find link.
All in all I love my lightweight wheel.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the fidanza is 19 or 21 pounds lighter then stock. stock is something like 40+ lbs.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. 10 pounds lighter than stock. How does that compare to the Fidanza weight wise?

I think Fidanza is lighter. I'm not certain if lighter is always better but I was hoping Dan from DC Performance would chime in.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have over 50K miles on my Fidanza, including 500 track miles and at least a dozen xcrosses. Zero issues. I think 17 or 17.5 pounds is the Fidanza weight. I have always thought the Viper to be the easiest clutch car I've ever owned and that includes the flywheel addition. For a test, I have actually started off in 4th gear with the light flywheel. It wasn't hard to do. I have started many xcrosses in 2nd and smoked the tires as much or as little as I want. Very little extra revs required. I consider the flywheel mod a very good one.

No Viper....light flywheel or not....likes riding through a parking lot. You always have to be putting the clutch in once in a while.....especially when cold.

Steve

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the fidanza and love it, with new stock clutch. Drives like stock but does not like riding slow throught a parking like (I have a custon grind custom=lumpy) but does not happen often and when it does, just push the clutch in.
Its way easier to downshift rev match, I mean alot. I read an article some time ago where a z06 was outfitted with an aftermarket lightweight flywheel and clutch and the car accelrated quicker to 70 100 and 150 (2 seconds) but hp remained the same. I;ll post if i can find link.
All in all I love my lightweight wheel.

Hows the cam working out btw?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard some have a problem with clutch grip after some hard track miles. I haven't tried it myself. I'm still stock.

Chuck I've got no experience with the Viper lightweights, but your thought as far as grip was echoed by Centerforce when I purchased one of their dual friction clutches 15 yrs ago. I had a Hays Aluminum flywheel and Centerforce reversed the facings on the clutch to accomodate my application. Their claim was that the insert on the Aluminum flywheel did not have the same bite quality as well as stability as the OEM nodular iron.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that it will improve rear wheel braking. With the engine speed high, clutch engaged and heavy on the brakes, the rear calipers also have to slow down the drivetrain. Less flywheel means greater energy extracted to slow the vehicle rather than drivetrain.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't forget that it will improve rear wheel braking. With the engine speed high, clutch engaged and heavy on the brakes, the rear calipers also have to slow down the drivetrain. Less flywheel means greater energy extracted to slow the vehicle rather than drivetrain.

EXACTLY! Free Brake Upgrade!

PS: Dont confuse the SRT vs Gen 2 weights. The Gen 1-2 FW weigh more, so the Fidanza Aluminum or PartsRack-Cragin Chromoly are about a 50% weight savings off OE.

The Aluminum puck-style Fidanza is 1.7 lbs lighter than Chromoly, but has LESS ENDURANCE if beat-upon as with drag racing. Road-Racing is smoother, and less destructive to the friction surfaces. If you want to BEAT on it, go Chromoly Steel (and save significant $$$) and only give up about 2 lbs....Vs the 42 OE it means little.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have over 50K miles on my Fidanza, including 500 track miles and at least a dozen xcrosses. Zero issues. I think 17 or 17.5 pounds is the Fidanza weight. I have always thought the Viper to be the easiest clutch car I've ever owned and that includes the flywheel addition. For a test, I have actually started off in 4th gear with the light flywheel. It wasn't hard to do. I have started many xcrosses in 2nd and smoked the tires as much or as little as I want. Very little extra revs required. I consider the flywheel mod a very good one.

No Viper....light flywheel or not....likes riding through a parking lot. You always have to be putting the clutch in once in a while.....especially when cold.

Steve

Good input Steve. Thanks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to BEAT on it, go Chromoly Steel (and save significant $$$) and only give up about 2 lbs....Vs the 42 OE it means little.

Save how much? DCPerformance has their chromoly listed at $399 and states that it is 10lbs lighter than the 42lb(?) stock flywheel. But the Fidanza is 17.5lbs?

We've got some contradicting information going on. I've got a stock flywheel I can weigh. If somebody sends me a chromoly and a Fidanza I'll weight them all and get it straight.

Not sure which ones I'll return though. :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save how much? DCPerformance has their chromoly listed at $399 and states that it is 10lbs lighter than the 42lb(?) stock flywheel. But the Fidanza is 17.5lbs?

We've got some contradicting information going on. I've got a stock flywheel I can weigh. If somebody sends me a chromoly and a Fidanza I'll weight them all and get it straight.

That was kinda the point of my earlier post. They are both $399, and if one is noticeably lighter than the other, that sounds like the deal maker if there are no other considerations needed.

So Chuck... Just send me the one you don't use and we'll get busy testing in :tx: too.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmm...well, we're down to 1 pound or 1.5 pound difference based on the info from Partsrack' website:

GenIII:
"The all new Chromoly Flywheel for the 05-08 Dodge Viper and Ram. Chromoly is more durable than aluminum, yet only weighs 1 pound more than aluminum. At 21 pounds (compared to 35 pounds OEM) this SRT flywheel will reduce the inertia weight and provide quicker throttle response."

Gen I/II:
"21 Lbs Flywheels, Lightens your rotating mass, without lightening you wallet! Much more durable than Aluminum, and only 1.5 lbs heavier."

Hmm...if it's only a 1.5 pound difference and I get better durability then I'd go with chromoly...since I view all public roads as drag strips anyway.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked a couple places that sell them. The Fidanza is 17.5 pounds. Inflation has hit these things hard as I paid $215 shipped for mine in 9/03.

As mentioned a couple times above.....Better braking for the track was also a factor in my getting one. Very noticeably faster revs for track shifting is also a plus. Stock flywheels are not impervious to problems. In the very limited drag racing I've done.....I did a 2-5 shift under power and spun the clutch...glazed the clutch and burnt the flywheel....as evidence when we put the Fidanza in the following year.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang