Made a rear hub torque tool - Wizard approved!

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What size socket fits the hub nut? Is it a special tool?

Standard 1-1/4" socket, 1/2" drive is what I used. SK 250 ft lb torque wrench. The cotter keys are 3/16 x 1-1/2. Replace them for best results. McMaster Carr you get a bag of 50 for like 8 bucks.

Toolsource.com is a great place for tools like that. I use them for both work and play.

Like I said in a previous post, I've got another vehicle that is double the Viper hub torque. A 36mm 3/4 drive socket with a Proto 3/4 drive breaker bar. I stand on the end of the bar and jump up and down. No brake will hold that, hence the immediate plan to fab the Viper tool, even at just 190 ft lbs of torque.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

Let me know if you'll rent or sell that tool, as I'm sure each region should have one to pass around to their membership to ensure we keep our nuts torqued correctly.

By the way, what mm socket is the wheel nut socket on a GEN II?

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

Let me know if you'll rent or sell that tool, as I'm sure each region should have one to pass around to their membership to ensure we keep our nuts torqued correctly.

By the way, what mm socket is the wheel nut socket on a GEN II?

Regards,
Aaron

As mentioned above, the socket size is 1-1/4".

Maybe we could talk Dave at Big Brakes in to getting the plate lasered or water jetted at one of the places he uses. Making the plate is the hardest part doing it by hand. Welding the handle to it is easy.

I have no problem sending my tool around the USA to tighten everyones nuts. Wait. Let me rephrase that. If there were some groups that could benefit by my loaning them this devise then I would have no problem with them using it. Balancing shipping it versus maybe just having the plate made inexpensively might be a smart route to look at. Like I said, if you have the plate with the holes, there are many things to make handles from like the sq tubing I used, to handrail pipe, water pipe, etc. And it might not even have to be welded. You can bolt the plate to your handle of choice.

I think I'll give Dave at Big Brakes a holler with my sketch of the plate. If he doesn't nibble, I'll get ready to make a special padded shipping case for mine.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried the "cutting an old hockey stick" and wedging it between the brake and seat frame....then started working at the back of the car and found it move.....yep the damn stick came loose. I am very pleased when a special tool will make Viper servicing easier and cheap.

Regards,
Aaron

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my car's ass in the air now tightening both nuts. But for now I just use an impact gun on them!

Steve

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my car's ass in the air now tightening both nuts. But for now I just use an impact gun on them!

Steve

Impact wrenches give a false sense of confidence when it comes to 190ft lbs of torque. Even if the wrench says 450 lbs of torque, like many 1/2 drive impacts do, you are likely not even getting close.

Get a torque wrench.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update everyone that expressed interest in a tool like this, I talked to Dave at Big Brakes yesterday and he is going to investigate a commercial version of this tool.

Maybe 2 levels - Just the bare head from unpainted steel, ready for your handle, and then a complete version with knock down handle powder coated black. Ready for pinstriping and decals.

The idea behind the bare head version is that it is the hard part to make, and I would have gladly bought a CNC made part if it had been available. I used a torch, grinder, drill press, 30-pack of Miller...

G

grcforce327

If you had a helper that could grasp a wrench,you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of making a tool !!
You must be registered for see images

Does that thing 2nd as a metal detector?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

G

grcforce327

I'm filipino/Korean,so I'm coming over for dinner!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960