Mobil 1 0w40 Synthetic "European Car Formula" . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to do have the oil changed on my 2008 in the next few weeks. I went out to a few local auto parts stores and they all have Mobil 1 0w40 but the bottles have the notation "European Car Formula." I did a search and the few responses on the topic from a few years ago seem to be that there is no difference in the european car and regular 0w40. Is this still the case? Bottom line, is it ok to use this european formula for the 2008 Viper? Thanks.

/Rich

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it is.... typically 0w40 is for Euro. cars, because of the extended oil change intervals. My E55 uses 0w40 as well. Since it goes 10k between oil changes... I dont think they make a "non" Euro version, 0w40.

I wish they made 0w40 in the 5qt. jugs.. Marketing dept. as Mobil 1, prevents it, Im sure..

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes it is.... typically 0w40 is for Euro. cars, because of the extended oil change intervals. My E55 uses 0w40 as well. Since it goes 10k between oil changes... I dont think they make a "non" Euro version, 0w40.

I wish they made 0w40 in the 5qt. jugs.. Marketing dept. as Mobil 1, prevents it, Im sure..

I tell you what I just bought the (5w30 or 10w30 i don't remember)4 quart jugs the other day, 3 of them and it was nice for the oil change. Plus i saved a few bucks:D

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taximan is correct. I noticed this when I changed my oil this weekend. After some "googling," I found that it's the same stuff, no worries.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell you what I just bought the (5w30 or 10w30 i don't remember)4 quart jugs the other day, 3 of them and it was nice for the oil change. Plus i saved a few bucks:D

The 5W and 10W jugs are readily available at Wal-Mart. And I always used to go that route in my GTS, which called for 10w30.. But now that I have an SRT... It calls for 0w40. Which I have yet to see in 5qt jugs.. And probably wont... Mobil 1 exec's arent stupid:). I notice many (high-ticket) car these days, calling for 0w40. Hmm... :)

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Complain to the Wal-Mart manager, a few complaints from around the country could have an effect on Mobil's marketing.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This subject has been discused in the VTCOA forums way back. It appears Mobil 1 has reformulated its oil to meet the new emission standards in the US. The new oil has less zinc and phosphorous which lowers the shear values.
The "european car formula" is the orginal Mobil 1 formula with all the anti-wear properties in tact.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject has been discused in the VTCOA forums way back. It appears Mobil 1 has reformulated its oil to meet the new emission standards in the US. The new oil has less zinc and phosphorous which lowers the shear values.
The "european car formula" is the orginal Mobil 1 formula with all the anti-wear properties in tact.

Thanks. I went out to a few auto parts stores today and confirmed that all of their Mobil 1 0w40 supply has now been rebranded the "European Car Formula." Two cases of "European Car Formula" it is. I guess my Viper will have to speak with a French or German accent from now on.

/Rich

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a little FYI, Wal-Mart sells 10w30 in 5 quart jugs for $22 each, you'll prob come out cheaper buying 2 of them than 3 of the 4 qt. jugs. I've seen the 4 qt jugs at KMart and I think they were as expensive (maybe more) than the 5 qt jugs at Wal-Mart!

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Check at your Walmart again, ours just starting carrying the 0w40 synthetic mobil 1 about a month ago. It is the same price as the others.

VIPER08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep! I bought the same thing the other day. 0-40 Mobile1 "euro formula" ... same same

12qts cost me about $85 .... and then I grabbed my oil filters that I ordered from dodge (mopar performance) ... I got 3 and they were like $11 a piece

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"European formula" hahaha :rolaugh:
It is a poor men's marketing slogan :rolaugh:

All oil specs must respect some standards. 0W40 respects the same one as 5W40 or 10W40. If you know these standards you will notice that 0W40 is an extreme cold weather oil having a very good viscosity below -30F. Unless you live in Alaska this oil is not really required. Even in Canada most of cars (95%) run on 5W30 during winter.

Then why use this 0W40 oil in Vipers !? Because most of wear occurs at engin startup. Some guys in some places start the cold engin at 5000rpm ... So Dodge covers itself againts startup wear issues by using this oil. If you know how to start right a car and let the engin warm up a little before racing it, you are perfectly safe with 5w40 or 10w40 oil.