Mopar ECU Upgrade Help

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since both dealers anywhere near me have closed I have tried to make an appointment with an out of town mopar dealer that has told me installing the mopar (off road use only) will void my factory warranty. Anyone know if this is true??

Then I am wondering if there is any way I could find a local service shop that would be able to program/install the ecu without having to deal with a dealer??

Thanks for any help!

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was advised that the Mopar PCM can only be programed at the dealer...I asked several tuners and they recommended that option.....

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since both dealers anywhere near me have closed I have tried to make an appointment with an out of town mopar dealer that has told me installing the mopar (off road use only) will void my factory warranty. Anyone know if this is true??

Then I am wondering if there is any way I could find a local service shop that would be able to program/install the ecu without having to deal with a dealer??

Thanks for any help!

Where in CA are you?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for any help!

No, the installation of the Mopar PCM does not void your warranty. The sticky part comes when you have a failed component and the dealer determines that the failure was the result of the installation of the PCM. Good luck with that battle.

You need a StarSCAN tool to correctly setup the Mopar PCM. It's a very expensive tool so your local shops may not have one. Chrylser dealers will. The PCM needs to be programmed correctly so I'm not sure I'd trust just anyone to do it. For what it's worth, the install instructions say:

"MOPAR recommends professional installation by an ASE certified technician."

Nothing saying or even recommending installation by a Chrysler service center.

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am located in Monterey, Ca...

Thanks for your input, I will have to call arround as seen if there is an ASE in our area with a StarScan.

Reaction score
The dealer is the only ones that will have the Starscan up link to Chrysler to do the install and calibrations. If the closest dealers first response was that it would void your warranty I would pass on them because they will probably also flag your cars warranty right after you leave. Look for a more friendly dealer that knows and supports modifications and the real deal about warranty's.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it together with my ViperTech here and it is NOT a big issue - just follow the installation guidelines!

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local Dodge dealer had no issues installing mine. Never said a word about warranty claims either.

I was under the impression that as long as it was a Mopar part, it would not affect the warranty?

Whatever, my car runs damn good now! Now I need Exhaust, Air Filter, and maybe Gears!:2tu:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer is the only ones that will have the Starscan up link to Chrysler to do the install and calibrations. If the closest dealers first response was that it would void your warranty I would pass on them because they will probably also flag your cars warranty right after you leave. Look for a more friendly dealer that knows and supports modifications and the real deal about warranty's.

So it's not enough to have the StarSCAN tool, you also have to connect it to Chrysler somehow??? :confused:

Reaction score
So it's not enough to have the StarSCAN tool, you also have to connect it to Chrysler somehow??? :confused:

There is a new uplink system (on line) that Chrysler uses for reflashes and updates. Thhis is the same process and they need to be done through a qualified dealer.

Reaction score
My local Dodge dealer had no issues installing mine. Never said a word about warranty claims either.

I was under the impression that as long as it was a Mopar part, it would not affect the warranty?

Whatever, my car runs damn good now! Now I need Exhaust, Air Filter, and maybe Gears!:2tu:

Mopar parts have NOTHING to do with Dodge/Chrysler so they come with and imply NO warranty and are for off road use only. Both of these "could" affect the warranty.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a new uplink system (on line) that Chrysler uses for reflashes and updates. Thhis is the same process and they need to be done through a qualified dealer.

Why doesn't the install instructions say you have to do this then? They make it sound like all you need is a StarSCAN to set up the specified parameters and that's it. What data is being transfered between Chrysler and the MOPAR PCM??

Reaction score
Why doesn't the install instructions say you have to do this then? They make it sound like all you need is a StarSCAN to set up the specified parameters and that's it. What data is being transfered between Chrysler and the MOPAR PCM??

Chrysler is in the loop anytime a VIN is loaded into a PCM...

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!

I am located in Monterey, CA. If anyone knows of a friendly shop nearby even San Jose or San Francisco let me know? I would make a day trip of it...

I was hoping after the first few threads I could find a ASE mechanic with the Star Scan but this is beginning to sound more complex!

Worst case I guess I just won't get to install it anytime soon. Already has been sitting in my garage two months now since these dealers closed!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We have several non-dealers down here in So Cal that have Star Scan tools and can do your install.

Contact the Nor Cal Club, they should be able to help you.

Dan

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!

I am located in Monterey, CA. If anyone knows of a friendly shop nearby even San Jose or San Francisco let me know? I would make a day trip of it...

I was hoping after the first few threads I could find a ASE mechanic with the Star Scan but this is beginning to sound more complex!

Worst case I guess I just won't get to install it anytime soon. Already has been sitting in my garage two months now since these dealers closed!

I have a Viper Tech and friend in the Sacramento area that could do it at the local dealer he is the shop foreman at.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay, let's cut to the chase. Can the MOPAR PCM be installed and setup using a StarSCAN tool without being connected to the mothership?

For example: Say my buddy, who's a tech at a Dodge dealership, brings his StarSCAN tool over to my house. Will he be able to setup my PCM?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Viperless,

He should be able to.

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this a new requirement? Im asking because I installed one of these ECU's not too long ago (1-2 months) using just a StarScan and didnt need any type of uplink to a computer of anything. :dunno:

At any rate, to the OP, if you feel like taking a trip down to SoCal, i know where you can get it taken care of.

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mjorgensen I don't know if you have any additional info on if logging in is an absolute necessity for this???

I have made many calls and found a Buick dealer with Star Scan that said they should be able to do it. Except he said if a download or update is needed that he can no longer log into Chrysler since the recent sale...

Thanks again for all your help!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mjorgensen I don't know if you have any additional info on if logging in is an absolute necessity for this???

I have made many calls and found a Buick dealer with Star Scan that said they should be able to do it. Except he said if a download or update is needed that he can no longer log into Chrysler since the recent sale...

Thanks again for all your help!

I called the Mopar Performance Tech Line number listed on the install instructions yesterday and the fellow I spoke to told me that NO connection to Chrysler is necessary for setting up the PCM since the calibration is already pre-loaded.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NO they are NOT in the loop and NO you do NOT connect to Chrysler to program the MOPAR Performance PCM! You do need the Star Scan Tool! Under the #1 button is ALL the programing features! I just did two ACR's today with NO problems!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO they are NOT in the loop and NO you do NOT connect to Chrysler to program the MOPAR Performance PCM! You do need the Star Scan Tool! Under the #1 button is ALL the programing features! I just did two ACR's today with NO problems!

Thanks Wiz! Wish I didn't live so far away.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just saw this post! Dan Cragin at DC Performace in LA has invested the $$$$$ in the StarSCan and the sofware to install your PCM. And he is a SoCal VCA vendor, and a VCA sponsor here. Please call DAN.

310 841 6996

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan at DC did the Mopar ECU install on my 2009 ACR.

No issues after 6 track weekends.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am located in Monterey, Ca...

Thanks for your input, I will have to call arround as seen if there is an ASE in our area with a StarScan.

HowCum the Avtars dont say NoCal, CentCal, SoCal VCA ?
Instead they seem to say "CAL VCA" but Cal has three regions!
Forgot my geography.

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my ECU installed at an ex Buick going out of buisness soon dealer..! All good without chrysler connection! Car much more responsive already and only had time to drive home!

Thanks for all the input!