Motor Trend reviews pre-owned Vipers

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Son just got his new MT and on Pg. 166 there is a one-page "Pre-owned" review of Gen 1 and 2 Vipers. Their bottom line: "perfect fair-weather frolic for extroverts, wannabe racers, and horsepower junkies everywhere." :D

Best line: "take a ride, and maybe you'll understand." :2tu:

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, but check out their used car prices for a Viper??? They are not doing any owners a service there making potential owners believe they should pick one up in the 20k range.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about expensive to service, 33k miles on the viper & not even equal to one service on my ferrari!

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought they were quite a bit low in their pricing too.

Same here, I was astounded about the 16K for a '92 and then saw that was wholesale. Still seemed low... Looking again, they did cite "Intellichoice" as the source for the pricing and gave a range (retail) from 25K for a '92 to about 59K for an '02, so not too far off...

The part about repairs I would call "fair warning" to many typical car mag readers who just bring everything to the dealer for whatever problems they may have. Imagine the reaming they would get with a Viper if they did that!

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, but check out their used car prices for a Viper??? They are not doing any owners a service there making potential owners believe they should pick one up in the 20k range.

Low price being 16K!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thy pulled those prices right off the Kelly Blue Book. Their prices have been silly for as long as I've ben looking at Viper prices.
$16k for a Viper? Do they mean a whole Viper?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I can show you what they are doing wrecked at dealer wholesale auctions. A 96 RT that was wrecked to far to rebuild did $15K. I don't ever think you will buy a complete car for less than $25K.

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people who just don't get the point always use the word "wannabe"?
Yea. The wanna be racer is guy who DOESN'T own a viper.
If you want to feel better about Viper prices, check the used section in the duPont Registry... '94 RT/10, low miles (5K), $49,000!

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94 is a nice whole non salvage Viper for sale at $27k.

There ya' go. Sounds like their range of 25K and up wasn't so far off. I do take issue with the "wannabe" moniker as some Viper owners ARE racers, not wannabes.

But all in all, I'm just glad to see the exposure in a national mag. since you almost never see it. Especially for Gen 1 and 2.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"My 94 is a nice whole non salvage Viper for sale at $27k."

Hey Joe - you been advertising your Viper for 27K for a while now...

Nobody has offered you that yet???

Have you been proactively advertising it besides this site?

Seems like somebody should snag it at that price :D

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe's car has 200k on it. :D That is why no one is willing to give him 27k for it. Will you take 16? I may be a player, hell I kinda miss my Gen I.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thy pulled those prices right off the Kelly Blue Book. Their prices have been silly for as long as I've ben looking at Viper prices.
$16k for a Viper? Do they mean a whole Viper?

The engine is worth that much.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, let's settle down. There is a simple explanation for the wide range of prices quoted in this article. Obviously, all non-Yellow Vipers are worth somewhere around $16K. Yellow Vipers (even the ones painted yellow after the sale) are the ones in the higher price range. Geesh.... you guys just don't pay attention. :cool:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, let's settle down. There is a simple explanation for the wide range of prices quoted in this article. Obviously, all non-Yellow Vipers are worth somewhere around $16K. Yellow Vipers (even the ones painted yellow after the sale) are the ones in the higher price range. Geesh.... you guys just don't pay attention. :cool:

Damn I knew I liked this guy. Smart too.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly Blue Book is setup for evaluating volume production cars, and does a fairly good job of figuring the going price of a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry.
But their pricing numbers are clearly off for lower volume cars.
They put a 1992 Acura NSX at $14,340, '92 Porsche Carrera at $11,300, and a '92 Jaguar XJS at $2,475 for dealer wholesale pricing. Relative to those prices, the '92 Viper which cost about the same as the others in '92 is doing pretty well, relatively.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly Blue Book is setup for evaluating volume production cars, and does a fairly good job of figuring the going price of a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry.
They put a 1992 Acura NSX at $14,340, '92 Porsche Carrera at $11,300, and a '92 Jaguar XJS at $2,475 for dealer wholesale pricing. Relative to those prices, the '92 Viper which cost about the same as the others in '92 is doing pretty well, relatively.

At those prices I'll take one of each. Who do I write my check to? Why don't the good folks at Kelly come up with another publication that just covers high end, specialty and low volume cars? They could charge extra for it (the American way) and actually provide some useful info.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At those prices I'll take one of each. Who do I write my check to? Why don't the good folks at Kelly come up with another publication that just covers high end, specialty and low volume cars? They could charge extra for it (the American way) and actually provide some useful info.

Excellent idea.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hey Joe - you been advertising your Viper for 27K for a while now..."

I haven't been advertising my car anywhere other than throwing in a comment here and there like the one in this thread.

So far I have had a few *** about it and one serious buyer. He may or may not buy it. He's never going to get it if he asks again for free shipping to Ohio!

Anyway, my car is in good shape inside and out. The engine was changed at 95k it has 107k on it now.
No problems, no salvage or rebuilt. A nice car.
Come buy it for $27k.